Round 4: Pick 142; Royce Newman, OG Ole Miss

4 hours ago, TheEagle said:

I rewatched the OL, and I thought Runyan was better--and he started over Patrick. Patrick was playing deep into the second half.

Braden is not a very good pass blocker at RT, so I don't know how viable he is there. However, he could win a spot on his interior play.

I thought Nijman was really solid this last game. I'd be surprised if he didn't make the team.

I'm not sure about Kelly. He was poor in the first game and then got injured. However, with Bakh injured he probably makes the team.

It looks like the starters will be Jenkins, Runyan, Myers, Newman, Turner in week 1--but that LG spot might still be up for grabs. Bakh's availability will probably decide who gets a nod between Braden and Kelly--mainly because I don't know that Braden can be a full-time OT.

I've only been rewatching the first quarters. There's absolutely an argument for Runyan over Patrick, but both are varying levels of meh

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I've only been rewatching the first quarters. There's absolutely an argument for Runyan over Patrick, but both are varying levels of meh

Going into the season, what would be your starting OL assuming Bakh isn't ready?

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think the edge is Patrick at the moment. Theyve both been poor. Runyans been on the ground so much. Patrick has gotten awfully holdy though. Idk patrick showed a spark for me the longer this last game went.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Going into the season, what would be your starting OL assuming Bakh isn't ready?

Jenkins-Runyan-Myers-Newman-Turner

Not because I think any of the Guards are better than the others, but because you can move Patrick in any of them without any shuffling and I can lie to myself that the young guys have a ceiling that they'll reach if they can get reps.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Jenkins-Runyan-Myers-Newman-Turner

Not because I think any of the Guards are better than the others, but because you can move Patrick in any of them without any shuffling and I can lie to myself that the young guys have a ceiling that they'll reach if they can get reps.

If one of the G's get hurt I'd be half tempted to swing Turner inside and put Kelly up. 

In that i mean I'd be pretty tempted to do that immediately.

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 1

Just now, incognito_man said:

was hoping Kelly would show well enough this PS to go:

Kelly || Jenkins || Myers || Newman || Turner

If hed stayed healthy i think you could do that. You know what he is. Offer a chip to him against the quick dudes on the edge for the long passes and hed be fine. Wont kill you any more than the guys inside right now.

The more I look into it, the bigger gamble I see - but I'm not so sure that this lineup isn't our best 5 looking at this PS:

Nijman || Jenkins || Myers || Newman || Turner

Nijman has fared well so far. If he puts together another good performance against the Bills, you have to consider the above lineup. The only pressure he's allowed in 101 snaps so far was the strip-sack that Love didn't climb the pocket on.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

It's rare (not impossible) that IOL get drafted highly that don't offer positional versatility.  And those that get drafted highly that are positions specific tend to end up out of the league sooner rather then later.  The Packers probably viewed him as a blue chip C prospect with the ability to play OG at a reasonably high level. 

That's what I'm saying. If he fails at Center, we think he can be a solid player at Guard.