Round 4: Pick 142; Royce Newman, OG Ole Miss

28 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

The more I look into it, the bigger gamble I see - but I'm not so sure that this lineup isn't our best 5 looking at this PS:

Nijman || Jenkins || Myers || Newman || Turner

Nijman has fared well so far. If he puts together another good performance against the Bills, you have to consider the above lineup. The only pressure he's allowed in 101 snaps so far was the strip-sack that Love didn't climb the pocket on.

I'm willing to bet he's being given his best shot to make the team Saturday. I'm still a bit leery with him given what McCarren was saying in the booth last week. Sounds like Nijman's still got a ways to go in regards of putting everything together consistently but I can't help but think Nijman will be out the door the minute Kelly is ready to go. It's been proven that Jenkins can play LT, Turner is better off at RT, but if Kelly is able to go I can see Turner getting kicked inside.

I suspect that the intent of the coaching staff is to eventually have the line-up of Bakh-Jenkins-Myers-Turner-Kelly or switch out Turner for Newman if the performance is there. JMO.

Edited by Joe

13 minutes ago, Joe said:

I'm willing to bet he's being given his best shot to make the team Saturday. I'm still a bit leery with him given what McCarren was saying in the booth last week. Sounds like Nijman's still got a ways to go in regards of putting everything together consistently but I can't help but think Nijman will be out the door the minute Kelly is ready to go. It's been proven that Jenkins can play LT, Turner is better off at RT, but if Kelly is able to go I can see Turner getting kicked inside.

I suspect that the intent of the coaching staff is to eventually have the line-up of Bakh-Jenkins-Myers-Turner-Kelly or switch out Turner for Newman if the performance is there. JMO.

whoa.

zero chance Nijman doesn't make the roster IMO. He's a stone-cold lock at this point regardless of Kelly's status.

The interesting question is whether he's a Day 1 starter or not IMO

Just now, incognito_man said:

whoa.

zero chance Nijman doesn't make the roster IMO. He's a stone-cold lock at this point regardless of Kelly's status.

The interesting question is whether he's a Day 1 starter or not IMO

Right, but when Kelly comes back...

I just think he's going to wind up being the odd man out at some point.

If I'm assuming Jenkins at LT for the opener.  Then I'm making sure that Patrick is a starting guard.

I really don't want my old QB having a rookie center, rookie guard and second year Runyan in front of him.

It's just begging for a DC to A-gap blitz and sugar the line before the snap.  

I'll take Patrick's veteran experience on the line to handle stuff like that.

Once Bakh returns, slide Jenkins inside and Newman can play the other guard spot.  

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

If I'm assuming Jenkins at LT for the opener.  Then I'm making sure that Patrick is a starting guard.

I really don't want my old QB having a rookie center, rookie guard and second year Runyan in front of him.

It's just begging for a DC to A-gap blitz and sugar the line before the snap.  

I'll take Patrick's veteran experience on the line to handle stuff like that.

Once Bakh returns, slide Jenkins inside and Newman can play the other guard spot.  

The problem is patrick is the one missing stunts.

5 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

The problem is patrick is the one missing stunts.

He won't with Turner or Jenkins next to him.

He's worked with the guys before and seen all the "gamesmanship" that a DC can throw his way.

But, our OL coach is certainly a wizard, so maybe he can get 3 young players up to speed in a short amount of time.

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

He won't with Turner or Jenkins next to him.

He's worked with the guys before and seen all the "gamesmanship" that a DC can throw his way.

But, our OL coach is certainly a wizard, so maybe he can get 3 young players up to speed in a short amount of time.

If youre already relying on the T next to you to communicate your stunts whats the experience for? I'm sure runyan is comfortable enough in there to talk. But more specifically i was talking about the C/G stunt that patrick was oblivious to. 

23 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

If youre already relying on the T next to you to communicate your stunts whats the experience for? I'm sure runyan is comfortable enough in there to talk. But more specifically i was talking about the C/G stunt that patrick was oblivious to. 

Continuity.  Patrick has played next to Turner quite a bit.  They know how each other operate.

If the play between the young kids and Patrick is close, I'm taking Patrick.

Now, if Patrick has clearly regressed, different story.

My real point is this.  You are kind of asking for trouble if you start 3 young guys inside right away.  Only way to overcome it is to solidify that line now, so that they get a lot of work together during practice.  

Just now, vegas492 said:

Continuity.  Patrick has played next to Turner quite a bit.  They know how each other operate.

If the play between the young kids and Patrick is close, I'm taking Patrick.

Now, if Patrick has clearly regressed, different story.

My real point is this.  You are kind of asking for trouble if you start 3 young guys inside right away.  Only way to overcome it is to solidify that line now, so that they get a lot of work together during practice.  

But he still hasnt played next to myers. Youre also asking for trouble if youre not starting your best 5. Cant get chemistry if you dont combine chemicals. Let the best 5 start and build those bonds.