Round 4: Pick 142; Royce Newman, OG Ole Miss

52 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

But he still hasnt played next to myers. Youre also asking for trouble if youre not starting your best 5. Cant get chemistry if you dont combine chemicals. Let the best 5 start and build those bonds.

I'd rather have Myers working next to a veteran who has started for two years, than a rookie or first year player who hasn't played much before.  That's the value Patrick brings, so long as the line plan is similar.

I've got no issue playing a rookie on the line with vets.  That's the right and easy way to break them in.  It's when you have multiple rookies and first year guys playing next to each other that could create issues.

How about we just have Bakh play in week one.  Jenkins at LG.  Myers at C.  Newman at RG.  Turner at RT.

Still playing two young guys next to each other, but each is playing next to a higher end veteran.

Which is why I'm miffed at Kelly.  It would have been wonderful for him to lock down the RT or LT spot while Bakh is gone to give us veteran experience there.  Flipping Jenkins inside would only help the younger inside players.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Which is why I'm miffed at Kelly.  It would have been wonderful for him to lock down the RT or LT spot while Bakh is gone to give us veteran experience there.  Flipping Jenkins inside would only help the younger inside players.

The guy had some bad snaps in one PS game and got hurt. Agree - it would be nice to take advantage of his experience (and I say that not really knowing how good he is.....) but it is what it is at this juncture. I just hope they keep him around cause I sense we're gonna need reinforcements along the OL and while I'd like to count on Yosh - I'm not there yet with him.

12 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Continuity.  ....  They know how each other operate.

...You are kind of asking for trouble if you start 3 young guys inside right away.  Only way to overcome it is to solidify that line now, so that they get a lot of work together during practice.  

The Super Bowl is >20 games away.  *IF* the Packers were to get that far, the youngsters could have not only practice, but one more exhibition games, 17 regular-season games, and a couple of playoff games together to get familiar, before hitting the super bowl.  It's a long season.  So yeah, there is some time to work out the continuity and work-together stuff.  

All else being equal, or close, the experience helps.  So I'm not at all devaluing the experience that Patrick brings, and I expect he'll start somewhere in the opener.  But I am arguing that the magnitude of advantage his experience has might diminish over the duration of the season, if the youngsters are playing and building experience and continuity.  

19 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'd rather have Myers working next to a veteran who has started for two years, than a rookie or first year player who hasn't played much before.  That's the value Patrick brings, so long as the line plan is similar.

I've got no issue playing a rookie on the line with vets.  That's the right and easy way to break them in.  It's when you have multiple rookies and first year guys playing next to each other that could create issues.

How about we just have Bakh play in week one.  Jenkins at LG.  Myers at C.  Newman at RG.  Turner at RT.

Still playing two young guys next to each other, but each is playing next to a higher end veteran.

If newman takes his RG spot patrick would have a new Tackle buddy anyways. I just dont value patricks experience since he's the guy making the mental mistakes and getting himself into trouble with flags. I am currently projecting him to start but i think its close to a coin flip. I just liked the effort he was showing late in the last game. Getting Runyan as many snaps as possible to be ready off the bench has its perks too.

I think we can all get behind bakh being available week 1!

2 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

If newman takes his RG spot patrick would have a new Tackle buddy anyways. I just dont value patricks experience since he's the guy making the mental mistakes and getting himself into trouble with flags.

Am I wrong or didnt he get those flags while at Center? Not sure, but think thats the case. Whats his experience at the position? Has he ever filled in there (?) and to what effect? Was he any good?

10 minutes ago, Leader said:

Am I wrong or didnt he get those flags while at Center? Not sure, but think thats the case. Whats his experience at the position? Has he ever filled in there (?) and to what effect? Was he any good?

There were plenty of hugs happening at G too.

He filled in at C in like 18 or 19. I think he did fine.

Edited by HighCalebR

3 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

There were plenty of hugs happening at G too.

Fine - but did he give us any snaps at Center during the regular season? If so, how'd he do?
Or - are they just trying him out there now in a search for viable backups to Myers?

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Fine - but did he give us any snaps at Center during the regular season? If so, how'd he do?
Or - are they just trying him out there now in a search for viable backups to Myers?

IIRC he had some snaps at center in one regular season game, I can't remember which one. His shotgun snaps were pretty awful. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

IIRC he had some snaps at center in one regular season game, I can't remember which one. His shotgun snaps were pretty awful. 

He basically played 2 full games for us at C in 2019 when Linsley went down. As I remember, some glitches, but also got us out of those games. He’s played both guard positions, has lots of experience with 5he starters and is cheap. If someone beats him out, so be it because I don’t see him here next year with the young talent coming up but he has value this year. 

8 hours ago, Refugee said:

He basically played 2 full games for us at C in 2019 when Linsley went down. As I remember, some glitches, but also got us out of those games. He’s played both guard positions, has lots of experience with 5he starters and is cheap. If someone beats him out, so be it because I don’t see him here next year with the young talent coming up but he has value this year. 

If the competition is close between Patrick and say, Braden, he's not that cheap for a team who is tight to the cap and has come cap issues next year. We would save 1.1 million in cap money if it came down to those two. That money matters, but so to does having a viable option is Myers goes down. 

Not sure how they will go but I wouldn't write Patrick off as cheap. 

13 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Okay. Thanks. I wasnt aware of that. Sounds like it's best he be limited to the Guard positions.

17 hours ago, Leader said:

The guy had some bad snaps in one PS game and got hurt. Agree - it would be nice to take advantage of his experience (and I say that not really knowing how good he is.....) but it is what it is at this juncture. I just hope they keep him around cause I sense we're gonna need reinforcements along the OL and while I'd like to count on Yosh - I'm not there yet with him.

My hope is that we have Wagner on speed dial.  Once we get to the point in the season where his contract is not guaranteed, give him a call.

17 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

If newman takes his RG spot patrick would have a new Tackle buddy anyways. I just dont value patricks experience since he's the guy making the mental mistakes and getting himself into trouble with flags. I am currently projecting him to start but i think its close to a coin flip. I just liked the effort he was showing late in the last game. Getting Runyan as many snaps as possible to be ready off the bench has its perks too.

I think we can all get behind bakh being available week 1!

I'm ready to pencil Newman in to the line.  Any guard spot is fine.  I want to say he reminds me of Colledge.  And that is for how he moves.  But he's more physical.  Newman needs more base power, but with his leverage and feet, he can play right away, which is pretty amazing in and of itself.

Once Bakh gets back, I think we will see the line take off.  Rodgers and MLF are going to have to make life easier on the o-line early in the season, though.  Defense can help that out to.  Would be great if we can win games by running the ball and playing defense for a change.