Round 4: Pick 142; Royce Newman, OG Ole Miss

I get the logic in Gute's way to address the OL.  Throw numbers at the positions, and let them sort themselves out.  In the last 2 drafts, we've drafted four IOL in the 4th or 5th rounds of the draft, and we took Josh Myers in the second round this year.  They're going to let the bodies sort themselves out.  You've got Elgton Jenkins (LG/C/RG/RT), Billy Turner (LG/RG/RT), Lucas Patrick (LG/C/RG), Simon Stepaniak (LG/RG), Jon Runyan (LG/RG/RT), Josh Myers (LG/C/RG), Jake Hanson (C), Jon Runyan (LG/RG/RT), and now Royce Newman (LG/RG/RT) in the mix.  The only two spots that I feel fairly confident are penciled in as Bakh at LT and Myers at C.  I think Elgton Jenkins either play LG or RT, Turner likely starts the year at LT but moves over to RT when Bakh is back.  RG probably goes to Lucas Patrick unless one of the young guards take off.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I get the logic in Gute's way to address the OL.  Throw numbers at the positions, and let them sort themselves out.  In the last 2 drafts, we've drafted four IOL in the 4th or 5th rounds of the draft, and we took Josh Myers in the second round this year.  They're going to let the bodies sort themselves out.  You've got Elgton Jenkins (LG/C/RG/RT), Billy Turner (LG/RG/RT), Lucas Patrick (LG/C/RG), Simon Stepaniak (LG/RG), Jon Runyan (LG/RG/RT), Josh Myers (LG/C/RG), Jake Hanson (C), Jon Runyan (LG/RG/RT), and now Royce Newman (LG/RG/RT) in the mix.  The only two spots that I feel fairly confident are penciled in as Bakh at LT and Myers at C.  I think Elgton Jenkins either play LG or RT, Turner likely starts the year at LT but moves over to RT when Bakh is back.  RG probably goes to Lucas Patrick unless one of the young guards take off.

Agree.  Versatility allows the competition to sort the starters.

I'm really interested in seeing where Jenkins lines up.  I really feel OT long term is a view the team might have.  

Hard to say if top 5 OG < or > top 10-15 OT?

Just now, squire12 said:

Agree.  Versatility allows the competition to sort the starters.

I'm really interested in seeing where Jenkins lines up.  I really feel OT long term is a view the team might have.  

Hard to say if top 5 OG < or > top 10-15 OT?

My gut reaction was that the Packer believe that Elgton Jenkins can legitimately play any of the 5 OL positions.  I think LT is out for obvious reasons, but beyond that I think they believe RT is a legitimate possibility.

Dane Brugler guide

STRENGTHS: Shows the initial quickness and loose lower body to fly out of his stance…efficient in his setup to stay ahead of edge speed…coordinated shuffle in his kickslide…tight hands and doesn’t overextend himself, staying within the framework of defenders…plays alert and on the balls of his feet…showcases the hip snap to aid his anchor vs. power…smart player with the eye discipline to break down various blitzes at full speed…his collegiate resume includes 100-plus snaps at three different positions (LG, RG, RT)…his coaches say he can also play center…durable and started every game the last two seasons.

WEAKNESSES: Average-framed blocker with unimpressive core strength and length…rushers too easily reach his chest, setting up push-pull or ****** opportunities…can be tossed if his pads rise…smaller hands and doesn’t deliver much thud behind his punch…doesn’t consistently create torque as an inline finisher…doesn’t always get enough depth in his outside kickslide…doesn’t play passive, but would like to see more of a killer instinct…only 22 career starts on the offensive line…overaged and will be a 24-year-old rookie.

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Ole Miss, Newman lined up at right tackle in head coach Lane Kiffin’s up-tempo spread offense. He was a blocking tight end in high school before playing both guard spots as a junior for the Rebels, moving outside to tackle as a senior. With only 22 career starts in college, Newman is still developing the tricks of the trade, but he does a great job staying on time with his eyes, feet, and body movements. He relies more on angles than power and is more of a get-in-the-way blocker than a mauler. Overall, Newman doesn’t have overwhelming physicality or play strength, but he is quick off the ball with efficient setup and execution to stay square with defenders. He projects as a prospect with four-position (RT, LG, RG, OC) versatility.

GRADE: 4th Round

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

My gut reaction was that the Packer believe that Elgton Jenkins can legitimately play any of the 5 OL positions.  I think LT is out for obvious reasons, but beyond that I think they believe RT is a legitimate possibility.

Didn't Jenkins play RT in the opener in 2020?

What was the starting OL that game?

Just now, CWood21 said:

I believe the only position he didn't play last year was RG.

Yeah.  I looking more at where he played and when.  Who else was available and did he play RT over Turner or Wagner without injuries being in play for them

Just now, squire12 said:

Yeah.  I looking more at where he played and when.  Who else was available and did he play RT over Turner or Wagner without injuries being in play for them

I believe he was the RT when Bakh went down for a game, but then he moved back to LG but I might be wrong.

2 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I'll believe we're moving Jenkins from LG when it happens. He's elite there and forms the best left side of the line in football with a healthy Bakh. I wouldn't mess with that.

Understand.  

Best 5 on the field though.   That feels like if an RT is in that mix then Jenkins fills in at LG.  If not, Jenkins to RT

3 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Turner Jenkins Myers Patrick Newman 

If Bakh can't play week 1

Bakh Jenkins Myers Newman Turner

When he's healthy

I think we're more likely to see Runyan at RT then we are Newman fwiw.

Guy sounds like another smart, alert player, who isn't powerful and isn't going to drive-block anybody.  

I don't have any issue with the IOL selections.  Myers replaces Linsley.  Newman can take the roster spot that was held by Zach Johnson, or at least can compete with Johnson for that spot and go to PS if he loses.  

There are 3 IOL spots.  Over the Gute years he's filled all three.  (Well, I guess Patrick was maybe here prior?).  So to spend a couple of 2nd day picks (Jenkins and Myers), and then a 4th (Newman), a 5th (Madison), and some 6ths (Hansen, Runyan, Stepaniak), that doesn't seem excessive when you want three starters and some bench guys, and when Jenkins can do well at tackle if needed? 

Billy Turner is fine at RT for now, with two years left.  *IF* the 3rd-day guards can work out and Jenkins eventually pops over to tackle, they may not need high-round tackle selections.  

• Like 1