Round 4: Pick 142; Royce Newman, OG Ole Miss

2 minutes ago, craig said:

Guy sounds like another smart, alert player, who isn't powerful and isn't going to drive-block anybody.  

I don't have any issue with the IOL selections.  Myers replaces Linsley.  Newman can take the roster spot that was held by Zach Johnson, or at least can compete with Johnson for that spot and go to PS if he loses.  

There are 3 IOL spots.  Over the Gute years he's filled all three.  (Well, I guess Patrick was maybe here prior?).  So to spend a couple of 2nd day picks (Jenkins and Myers), and then a 4th (Newman), a 5th (Madison), and some 6ths (Hansen, Runyan, Stepaniak), that doesn't seem excessive when you want three starters and some bench guys, and when Jenkins can do well at tackle if needed? 

Billy Turner is fine at RT for now, with two years left.  *IF* the 3rd-day guards can work out and Jenkins eventually pops over to tackle, they may not need high-round tackle selections.  

Been a viable option all along.

• Like 1

I can't remember the last time the Packers drafted an older guy who successfully worked out. By the time he is ready to contribute he would be already quite old and by then his ceiling is limited with little scope for further improvement. This is what happened with Goodson and Fackrell. You don't get that problem with younger players, by the time they're ready to contribute they're still young enough to continue developing further.

Of course that's the general rule of the thumb however there are always outliers such as former Viking CB Terrance Newman who was 25 years old when he was drafted and I hope Royce Newman will be one of those players but i'm not holding my breath.

I'm no way at all a competent evaluator of OL talent but there are certain traits I like to see from an OL. Fleet footedness, active hands, agility, physicality, ability to think as the play develops whether it is pass or run blocking. I hate OL who barely make a dent on the pass rusher, they just politely stick their hands out and get rag dolled.

Newman seems to have good feet and good size but I don't like his lack of physicality. In college he moved around alot without fully establishing himself in one spot and I don't know whether if that is a good or bad thing. On one hand it means he would be versatile for us but on the other it could also make him a career backup and we invested a 4th round pick on a guy like that. That's not the best use of a 4th round pick imo.

In the long run we are committed to Bakhtiari at LT, Jenkins at LG, Myers at C, Runyan or Stepaniak at RG and Turner at RT. There's a good chance this will be our OL for the next two seasons. It's gonna be tough for Newman to break into the starting lineup and by the time there is an opening on the OL Newman will likely be 26-27 years old and guess what, we will probably draft another OL again.

As I said, not the best use of the 4th round pick even though it does provide much needed depth and versatility in the short term. I think drafting Myers reduced the need to draft an OT because it meant Jenkins would be freed up to backup both tackle spots.

Personally I would've taken a DT or a STAR backer here. These were two positions that needed new contributors.

8 hours ago, Chili said:

I can't remember the last time the Packers drafted an older guy who successfully worked out. By the time he is ready to contribute he would be already quite old and by then his ceiling is limited with little scope for further improvement. This is what happened with Goodson and Fackrell. You don't get that problem with younger players, by the time they're ready to contribute they're still young enough to continue developing further.

Dude's only 23 though and with COVID literally screwing everything up we have to throw his age out the window TBH. Again, I totally get the concern, but we're clearly thinking short-term, rookie contract, draft a replacement in 2-3 years, and move forward. 

I think what many of us tend to forget is that we have an ELITE coaching staff when it comes to OL and that hasn't dropped off since the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man got canned back in 2018. I hate that we waited this long to address RT, but Newman has proven to be moldable and fits the role of being that "swing tackle" we clearly covet.

Scouts don't seem to love Newman based on his lack of power, and obviously at almost 24, he may not have as much capacity to get way stronger.   

I wonder if the ability to just get in the way isn't a little underrated?  Sure, getting bull-rushed doesn't help, and collapses pocked.  And not having much drive-power against d-lineman isn't what you love in the run game.  So for sure, power is invaluable.  But just getting your body in the way of a pass-rusher means a lot, and gives your QB some time to make decisions and to move.  Likewise a lot of runs, just getting your feet over and getting in the way and tangling up the defender often pretty useful, even if you aren't pancaking anybody.  

Plus with good weight-room training, a guy who's 23 may end up still adding some focused strength.  

7 hours ago, deathstar said:

IMO a little out of control as he turns the corner but pretty athletic rep.

The left guard sticks his left foot out just as he is about to turn the corner and almost trips him up, guessing that is what you are seeing as a little out of control. 

Meh.  One rep.   Long strider, didn't pancake a linebacker.  But...it did show decent footwork and obviously we run stuff like that.  

Expected a lot more with a label of NSFW.  Thinking Andy needs to learn what NSFW really means, so he needs to open up Norm's phone.

• Like 1
On 5/6/2021 at 1:17 AM, craig said:

Scouts don't seem to love Newman based on his lack of power, and obviously at almost 24, he may not have as much capacity to get way stronger.   

I wonder if the ability to just get in the way isn't a little underrated?  Sure, getting bull-rushed doesn't help, and collapses pocked.  And not having much drive-power against d-lineman isn't what you love in the run game.  So for sure, power is invaluable.  But just getting your body in the way of a pass-rusher means a lot, and gives your QB some time to make decisions and to move.  Likewise a lot of runs, just getting your feet over and getting in the way and tangling up the defender often pretty useful, even if you aren't pancaking anybody.  

Plus with good weight-room training, a guy who's 23 may end up still adding some focused strength.  

I made the same argument about Walker Little and got reamed on this board for that because apparently it doesn't matter how good your Tackles are in the run game...

That said, Newman's here to be a swing guy a la Billy Turner. I suspect some of his power issues stem from technique as he was able to put up 23 reps on the bench FWIW. 

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Meh.  ..didn't pancake a linebacker.  ...

Yeah, if he'd plowed the LB there might have been a much more inviting lane for the back.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Joe said:

I made the same argument about Walker Little and got reamed on this board for that because apparently it doesn't matter how good your Tackles are in the run game...

That said, Newman's here to be a swing guy a la Billy Turner. I suspect some of his power issues stem from technique as he was able to put up 23 reps on the bench FWIW. 

23 Bench at 315 pounds? We don't need him to develop into a 35+ bench guy, but my goodness, that number can be improved, at least a little bit. And I'm confident it will be (as will his squat numbers, core strength, etc.) after being in a Pro strength and conditioning program for a year. Runyan also had a 23 bench when he came out. No doubt, he has gotten stronger. 

Edited by DWhitehurst