Round 4: Pick 142; Royce Newman, OG Ole Miss

29 minutes ago, R T said:

Well it depends on what you call a successful pick. Newhouse was still playing last season for the Titans, he has had a 10 year career and played in a 133 games to date. I don't know of any front offices that wouldn't call that a successful 5th round pick. Giacomini was a 5th round pick in 2008 and was a 16 game starter at RT for the Seahawks, Jets and Texans in his career. Meredith played in 67 games as a journeyman playing for 8 different teams.   

True, good point.  The scouts have to consider Meredith, Newhouse, and Breno as successful picks, to have lasted in the league so long.  

As a Packers fan, if Newman gives us as little as those guys did, before journey-manning around for others teams later, I won't view that as Packer-successful. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 3:35 PM, craig said:

True, good point.  The scouts have to consider Meredith, Newhouse, and Breno as successful picks, to have lasted in the league so long.  

As a Packers fan, if Newman gives us as little as those guys did, before journey-manning around for others teams later, I won't view that as Packer-successful. 

Newhouse gave us a lot more than we're willing to credit him given the series of major whiffs he gave us, and everyone else he played for, over the years.

I don't think Royce is the next Bakh by any means, but I think he'll be the next 4th round OL hit the more I look into him. He's found success at every position he's played and if we can make him a solid RT we've hit a home-run. That's a realistic goal, yeah?

• 3 months later...
13 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

What's up with this guy? I did not think he'd develop so soon as to be given a chance at starting, let alone at RG. Granted, it is just a look-see opportunity and there are no guarantees, but still, it is encouraging. 

Bak started as a 4th round pick from game 1 his rookie year. It could happen. We seem to have a knack for finding mid-round offensive linemen who can play. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Bak started as a 4th round pick from game 1 his rookie year. It could happen. We seem to have a knack for finding mid-round offensive linemen who can play. 

For sure--not common, but not unrare either for a 4th round pick rookie to be a starter. Yes, I had thought of Bak too-back when TT had more of his mental faculties and saw a hidden gem, taking Bak who may have been flying a bit under the radar having come out early from Univ of Colorado as a Junior. Newman may never become the best RG in the league, but to get a sufficient starter in his rookie year from the 4th round would show good drafting by Gute in itself. But I get ahead of myself--Newman has much to prove yet. Still, a good sign of what might be. 

1 hour ago, DWhitehurst said:

What's up with this guy? I did not think he'd develop so soon as to be given a chance at starting, let alone at RG. Granted, it is just a look-see opportunity and there are no guarantees, but still, it is encouraging. 

We dont have a rock solid RG. Throwing schit at a wall.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Lang, Sitton, Tretter, Bakhtiari, now Newman. The real question is, why don't the Packers draft an offensive lineman in the 4th round every year? 

Pump the brakes a bit. I hope mullet cop turns into a real beast but he’s got a ways to go to be mentioned in the same sentence as those guys. Glad he’s getting an opportunity early to show what he can do. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

Sometimes a positional change can help out players.  Sometimes just getting into a blocking scheme can change things.  I'm not sure there's any real right answer here.

13 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

Well, he has size.  He played both guard and tackle in college.  We like to take those tackles and make them guards, as they usually have "plus" athleticism, especially in their feet.

Here is a link to the scouting profile on Newman coming out.  Full disclosure, I did not watch any film on him.  But his "weaknesses" seems like bad traits for an OT.  But, they get masked when flipped inside.

I wish they would have taken a pure tackle earlier in the draft, but this is a very good 4'th round prospect who kinnda fits the mold of what we have preferred our guards to be.  

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/royce-newman/32004e45-5746-3853-b19f-2eb725a7349f

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Bakh also had a 2nd round grade on him and fell; obviously we benefited from it and I personally was shocked he was still on the board when we selected him. 

13 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Lang, Sitton, Tretter, Bakhtiari, now Newman. The real question is, why don't the Packers draft an offensive lineman in the 4th round every year? 

Reasons I was livid when we burned a 4th to trade up for Love. I would've rather threw a third and picked up another 5th given our poor luck in the 3rd round.

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Sometimes a positional change can help out players.  Sometimes just getting into a blocking scheme can change things.  I'm not sure there's any real right answer here.

Except Newman went from playing RG most of his collegiate career to RT his senior year and never missed a beat. Our coaching staff salivates over a player like that. Ergo, we shouldn't be all too surprised about all the positive reports of Newman's performance.

Edited by Joe

21 minutes ago, Joe said:

Bakh also had a 2nd round grade on him and fell; obviously we benefited from it and I personally was shocked he was still on the board when we selected him. 

I don't recall him having second round grades on him.  I vaguely remember hearing late Day 2, early Day 3 grades.  I do remember there being serious discussions that he was going to have to be kicked inside to center, since he lacked the physical strength to play guard and his pass pro skills weren't good enough to leave at tackle.

24 minutes ago, Joe said:

Except Newman went from playing RG most of his collegiate career to RT his senior year and never missed a beat. Our coaching staff salivates over a player like that. Ergo, we shouldn't be all too surprised about all the positive reports of Newman's performance.

Newman wasn't that good at OT.  He still struggled with elite athletes at the pass rush position, and he wasn't the stoutest of OL either.  He was a solid prospect, but not someone who was going to jump off the board.

I remember reading something somewhere that had him in the late second to early third round.  But the majority of the "sources" had him in the middle rounds.

I also remember reading that Bakh's game tape was very different than his testing.  Like he wasn't overly strong in the bench press, but he played stronger.  Poor vertical during tests, but he showed a lot of explosion on tape.  So, he became tougher to evaluate.

I think he was viewed as a strong player in a zone scheme because he had very long arms and could pass off blockers with ease.

Either way, water under the bridge.  He was a steal.  Let's hope Newman was as well.

I have no idea whether Newman could be any good as a starter future or presently.  Seems unlikely, but beats me.  I think so much is about quickness, flexibility, and leverage, in mental ways as well as physical.  Some guys are just way quicker to read-and-react to what's going on, and more flexible to get the feet and weight and pad level into position.  Newman was NOT one of the more highly buzzed draft picks.  And being now tardily given a look relative to such a modest-bar competitors as Runyan, Braden, and Patrick isn't exactly a "wow, he must be awesome" logic chain. 

I think there was some question at draft about why the Packers should be so prioritized on his positional flexibility; that almost suggested jack-of-all-trades-master-at-none utility depth guy, when I'm always hoping for a future solid starter with 4th round picks.  But I wonder if college being willing to shift a guy around isn't actually perhaps a really positive scouting clue?  If a guy is slow on the pickup mentally, even in college you don't want to move him around.  But perhaps Jenkins and Newman having been moved around a lot in college was actually a good clue that their coaches recognized that they were smart and adaptive?  Being able to quickly adapt is a crucial quality for a good NFL linemen.

In any event, I think it's kinda fun to have Newman getting some consideration.  The eternal optimist in me loves it.  I think it also reflects that his camp performance thus far has NOT disappointed the coaches, relative to what they had hoped for when scouting and drafting him.  For any draft pick, there is a wide variance in scouting eval.  Often the team who actually picks him tends toward the more favorable perspective; but not infrequently once they actually have him in camp every day, they realize they underestimated some of his limitations.  But if the Packers were kinda the high-graders on Newman in the first place, and now their favorable evals have been confirmed, that's really cool.  Man, *if* you got two capable NFL starting linemen out of a single draft, that would be so awesome.  

The other curiousity for me is that it seems he's practiced almost exclusively at RG.  Given that Patrick is the tenured RG.  If Lucas and Newman were to be the winners, wouldn't it make more sense to keep Patrick in place at RG, with Newman (or Runyan or Braden) at LG?  Or Bakhti returns so that Jenkins takes back LG, wouldn't you want Patrick just to have stayed at RG all along?  I'm guessing they didn't imagine actually taking Newman seriously, so it initially made best sense to have Runyan-Braden share LG practice time, with Patrick-Newman doing the same at RG.  So, they probably started with him kinda focused on RG, and then didn't want to mess with that.  I think that may perhaps be standard modus operandi for the team:  for a rookie, evaluate him a bit at multiple spots maybe, but focus him primarily at one.  Runyan was pretty much focused at LG last camp.