🏈 Pick #143 is in: S, Tyree Gillespie, Missouri

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

I still think Abrams has a chance to be really good in this defense but if not I think this other guy can be really good too lol

Yeah this is a good scenario for me. Also a possibility we play more 3 safety and Gillespie can definitely do that 3rd safety role well with time.

25 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

This is actually one of the reasons why I wanted Carlo's bathroom and the third round in case Ferrell doesn't pan out

I’m guessing Solomon Thomas is going to be heavily relied upon to rotate in Ferrell’s 5T position in addition to 3T. My guess is that Thomas IS the Ferrell contingency plan.

1 minute ago, 101Raider said:

I’m guessing Solomon Thomas is going to be heavily relied upon to rotate in Ferrell’s 5T position in addition to 3T. My guess is that Thomas IS the Ferrell contingency plan.

I don't think so. I think they are going to use him at three technique only because I guarantee you they feel like he was used wrong on the Niners. I think he was used wrong

43 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

Speculation obviously but maybe Gus Bradley isn’t all that impressed with what’s he seen on Abram. 

Not sure anyone on planet earth can watch Abram's 2020 film and come away impressed. Mayock said they brought back KJ as insurance behind him.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I don't think so. I think they are going to use him at three technique only because I guarantee you they feel like he was used wrong on the Niners. I think he was used wrong

Agreed he was used wrong, but I don’t  see anyone else on the roster at this point that would rotate schematically in that position. 

Thing about Bradley is that man rotates the D-line continuously throughout the game. It’s why I’m guessing his totally content with fielding a large squad of good not great players (obviously he didn’t really have choice with the weak draft and FA).

Philosophy is that his guys are going to be continually fresh and hungry as the o-line wears down over the course of the game.

I standby the idea that Thomas is going to see a lot of 5T this year and be the primary backup to Ferrell, though his primary position will likely be 3T.

Edited by 101Raider
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

Agreed he was used wrong, but I don’t  see anyone else on the roster at this point that would rotate schematically in that position. 

Thing about Bradley is that man rotates the D-line continuously throughout the game. It’s why I’m guessing his totally content with fielding a large squad of good not great players (obviously he didn’t really have choice with the weak draft and FA).

Philosophy is that his guys are going to be continually fresh and hungry as the o-line wears down over the course of the game.

I standby the idea that Thomas is going to see a lot of 5T this year and be the primary backup to Ferrell, though his primary position will likely be 3T.

Realistically if Abram doesn't play well at that position they're going to get somebody else next year. If he gets hurt this year I can also see David Irving playing that type of position. It doesn't necessarily have to be Solomon Thomas.

Edited by Jeremy408

13 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

David Irving? Seems like a nice fit at that bigger end role and can also jump inside with length and power.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He has only played 1 year really at safety for us. I will give him this year with Bradley and the staff. If he can't make significant improvement, he's outta here.

But you can't deny he has top tier physical talent for the position. Which is why I want to see what he can do this year. Again, if he can't get it done, I'm with you 100%. But I tend to give draft picks 3 years to fully evaluate them.

I know, only 1 year. But man, what a bad year. This is very typical of our collective responses to our draft picks. Unfortunately good 1st rounders far more often than not hit the ground running as good players. It's an arc that they are on. Abram's arc is quite bad thus far. Top tier physical talent, along with hundreds of other NFLers. A very typical Raider thing. Translating that into top tier play is literally everyone's challenge. 

Put another way, if he was a Pro Bowler or even one in the making, a team typically wouldn't go anywhere near that position in the draft. We have 4 new faces overall. That says plenty, it literally says "overhaul". Overhauling a position you just drafted in the 1st round two years ago is trash drafting, we do it year in and year out.

Just now, holyghost said:

I know, only 1 year. But man, what a bad year. This is very typical of our collective responses to our draft picks. Unfortunately good 1st rounders far more often than not hit the ground running as good players. It's an arc that they are on. Abram's arc is quite bad thus far. Top tier physical talent, along with hundreds of other NFLers. A very typical Raider thing. Translating that into top tier play is literally everyone's challenge. 

Put another way, if he was a Pro Bowler or even one in the making, a team typically wouldn't go anywhere near that position in the draft. We have 4 new faces overall. That says plenty, it literally says "overhaul". Overhauling a position you just drafted in the 1st round two years ago is trash drafting, we do it year in and year out.

I don't think Gillespie was drafted because of Abram. I think he was drafted because he is a really good football player.

• Like 1

Depth in the secondary is what I’ve been preaching all off-season. Glad to see it happen. 

Abram was legitimately one of the worst safeties in the league (on that note, if Sanjit’s comment that he was our best defensive player doesn’t convince you that he’s a complete tool, nothing will). 

Leavitt hasn’t been a factor. Heath wasn’t impactful. If he didn’t have the one INT against Mahomes nobody would even remember he played at all. 

Joseph will probably replace Harris as the versatile backup, with Gillespie competing immediately for that role. One or both of them should be ready to take over for Abram too 

Edited by Turnobili

15 hours ago, 101Raider said:

I think it will be Jefferson. He played there with Seattle. We won't be in base much though so you'll see Ngakoue and Crosby on the edges a lot.