🏈 Pick #143 is in: S, Tyree Gillespie, Missouri

15 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I don't think Gillespie was drafted because of Abram. I think he was drafted because he is a really good football player.

This and that our scheme is going to play 3 safeties a lot who are all versatile so offenses don’t who is doing what. Bradley’s scheme will likely mix up 3 & 4 man fronts as well as the secondary. 

1 hour ago, OnlyGlove said:

He played deep but his skill set translates to a box safety in the NFL.

Eh, I don't think that's true. I watched a good amount of Gillespie, and I thought he, Cisco, and Grant were the only true singly high safeties in this class. Everyone else, including Moehrig, was more of a projection. I think a lot of people just rely on whatever The Draft Network's free online board says about a player and that narrative follows them until they play an NFL snap. But, I honestly think a lot of those evals are based on physical profile. Like, Tashan is literally parroting everything from TDN's evaluation piece meal in his tweets, down to the opinion that he doesn't have good speed, yet he tested very well at his Pro Day.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Eh, I don't think that's true. I watched a good amount of Gillespie, and I thought he, Cisco, and Grant were the only true singly high safeties in this class. Everyone else, including Moehrig, was more of a projection. I think a lot of people just rely on whatever The Draft Network's free online board says about a player and that narrative follows them until they play an NFL snap. But, I honestly think a lot of those evals are based on physical profile. Like, Tashan is literally parroting everything from TDN's evaluation piece meal in his tweets, down to the opinion that he doesn't have good speed, yet he tested very well at his Pro Day.

Very true

17 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Agree on Reed. He’s my least favourite of the Raiders Athletic journos. Dour, negative and invariably inaccurate. Some of his takes are way off

41 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

FWIW Dan Shonka has Gillespie as a SS going forward as his agility and zone cover skills play best there. Particularly good at recognising underneath routes. Recognised his experience of playing both high and in the box. 

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Gillespie isn't a true strong safety. He's more of a tweener with the ability to cover tight ends like Deablo, but you can play a cover guy at strong safety as long as they are an adequate tackler. Gillespie is definitely a solid tackler.

Yeah even in the type of system we are deploying now with a more defined SS and FS which definitely is different and requires different responsibilities to Gunthers interchangeable safeties, the SS isn't the tougher ask in that role. The much harder job to do and player to find is a FS that can play center field. Someone with enough athleticism, range, instincts, that has fluid hips and good ball skills. 

I'm not saying just anyone can play SS in a cover 3 system, and obviously it's great to have a peanut butter and jelly like pairing like Thomas and Chancellor were, but I don't believe you HAVE to have a Chancellor like big, thumping, physical presence. It obviously doesn't hurt, but as long as your SS can be a dependable tackler, that will get the job done. And Kam was by no means an elite cover man, but he could cause a lot of passing teams problems with their tight ends, passing, and short passing game. 

Moehrig was drafted to be the rangy, center fielder that takes away the deep shots. And I think he will do very well at it.

Abram does have the potential to be a nice fit in Bradley's system, but he hasn't shown much on the field. It's a projection based off his athletic traits and some of the flashes he showed with decent regularity in college and not much of in the NFL. I am glad we have a lot of competition for him if he doesn't put it together at the SS role. Even if they don't project as a big hitter like Abram if they are more disciplined, better in coverage, and just solid tacklers it would be huge for our defense. Gillespie has the tools to be that guy. 

• Like 2

The more I watch this kid, the more I think he’s taking Abram’s job very early in the season. Would be nuts if we found two safety starters in the same class. Abram is better suited to play in the Big Nickel Packages. I think the Raiders won’t quite have a true starting SS. Every package, they will feature the correct Safety that has the best traits for that certain formation whether it’s Abram, Joseph, Gillespie, or Heath. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

The more I watch this kid, the more I think he’s taking Abram’s job very early in the season. Would be nuts if we found two safety starters in the same class. Abram is better suited to play in the Big Nickel Packages. I think the Raiders won’t quite have a true starting SS. Every package, they will feature the correct Safety that has the best traits for that certain formation whether it’s Abram, Joseph, Gillespie, or Heath. 

The funny thing is the Gilespie actually weighs more and is still faster

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

He's definitely more reliable and better in man coverage. I don't know how he dropped this far. I was definitely high on him. He missed some tackles in the SEC, but who didn't honestly. 

I'm just glad the team recognizes Abram is a problem vs. simply handing him the job again.

Abram is going to be traded next offseason for a late round pick after someone takes his job. Glad to see the staff recognize a bad pick and work to rectify it with better talents.