🏈 Pick #143 is in: S, Tyree Gillespie, Missouri

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

The more I watch this kid, the more I think he’s taking Abram’s job very early in the season. Would be nuts if we found two safety starters in the same class. Abram is better suited to play in the Big Nickel Packages. I think the Raiders won’t quite have a true starting SS. Every package, they will feature the correct Safety that has the best traits for that certain formation whether it’s Abram, Joseph, Gillespie, or Heath.Β 

Like I've said before, Bradley likes safety bodies>linebacker bodies. I suspect Littleton will be pulled more often than Kwiatkowski because Kwit has proven to be a good coverage MLB. I evaluated Abram as a linebacker when he was as coming out and he perfectly fits the role that Bradley assigned Jenkins last year. He'll line up head up on tight ends, set the edge, and make plays close to the line of scrimmage. I don't think Gillespie can do that--or he hasn't proven he can in college. Abrams manhandles tight ends at the line, that's what he should be doing in the pros.

7 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He's definitely more reliable and better in man coverage. I don't know how he dropped this far. I was definitely high on him.Β He missed some tackles in the SEC, but who didn't honestly.Β 

As a Gillespie fan, I think it makes sense that he dropped where he did. He's an unspectacular starter. He has a high floor and a low ceiling, but he will almost definitely be a competent NFL player. I personally don't think he is particularly good in man coverage--I don't think Pitts really tested him like other tight ends will in the NFL. Abrams has more impressive traits and is more of an innate playmaker.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 8:15 AM, Rich7sena said:

Like I've said before, Bradley likes safety bodies>linebacker bodies. I suspect Littleton will be pulled more often than Kwiatkowski because Kwit has proven to be a good coverage MLB. I evaluated Abram as a linebacker when he was as coming out and he perfectly fits the role that Bradley assigned Jenkins last year. He'll line up head up on tight ends, set the edge, and make plays close to the line of scrimmage. I don't think Gillespie can do that--or he hasn't proven he can in college. Abrams manhandles tight ends at the line, that's what he should be doing in the pros.

As a Gillespie fan, I think it makes sense that he dropped where he did. He's an unspectacular starter. He has a high floor and a low ceiling, but he will almost definitely be a competent NFL player. I personally don't think he is particularly good in man coverage--I don't think Pitts really tested him like other tight ends will in the NFL. Abrams has more impressive traits and is more of an innate playmaker.

I think he'll be a very solid starter and able to play both safety spots with some effectiveness. You need that 3rd safety in today's league, especially with 3 safety looks becoming more common. I thought he was a 3rd round player so I'm very happy with late 4.

• Like 1