Round 4, Pick 19 #124: Washington Selects John Bates, TE, Boise State

turtle28

With the 19th pick number 124 of the 4th round Washington Selects John Bates, TE, Boise State.

Bates has not done much as a receiver but he is known as a good inline blocker which is something that Washington has needed since they didn’t re-sign or replace Logan Paulsen as a blocking TE after the 2015 season.

He has work to do in developing in the passing game but he does have a big strong frame at 6’5, 250 pounds. NFL.com grades him as someone who will be a back of the roster player so, #3 TE or a practice squad player.

He did participate in the Senior Bowl and I’m guessing that our coaches, GMs & Scouts must have been impressed by him there, probably mostly impressed by his blocking.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/john-bates/32004241-5410-9191-4912-a52aed715316

Most college tight ends are not former 110-meter hurdle and javelin state champions in high school (Bates finished in the top five in the triple and long jumps at Oregon's state meet in 2014, as well). A two-time all-state pick in football at Lebanon High School, as well, Bates was a three-star prospect when he signed with the Broncos. He started two of 14 games played as a redshirt freshman in 2017 (3 catches, 34 yards, 11.3 yards per catch) and then eight of 13 games the following season (10 catches, 155 yards, 15.5 yards per catch, one TD). Bates became a larger part of the Broncos' offense his junior year (22 catches, 273 yards, 12.4 yards per catch, one TD) and garnered honorable mention All-Mountain West Conference notice -- an honor he repeated in 2020, despite missing time with a hamstring injury (12 catches, 117 yards, 9.8 yards per catch in five games, with four starts). He accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl. -- by Chad Reuter”

In-line tight end with good size and room for more muscle mass. Bates has an athletic background in his high school past, but his play speed tends to be inconsistent as a route-runner. He's lacking the foot quickness to uncover underneath, but he might be able to work up the field with more development. Bates will need to get more physical and improve his hand usage and footwork to become a functional blocker as a pro.
Strengths
  • Built for the league with desired size and thickness.
  • Releases quickly into routes off the snap.
  • Sneaky speed in the seam.
  • Quality catch radius.
  • Can leap and make in-air adjustments to high throws.
  • Able to drop and dig out lower throws.
  • Lateral quickness on back-side zone blocks.
  • Good positioning as blocker in space.
Weaknesses
  • Just two career touchdowns and 47 catches in 46 games.
  • Doesn't always play to his true speed.

"I think he's going to test pretty well, and if he does that, along with his size, he's getting drafted." -- West Coast scout for NFC team
Edited by turtle28

5 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I mean this is the range if you like the tools then it’s cool. Not my guy but hopefully he locks his spot down and shows up for this team. I expect him to take to coaching

Yup. I would've gone with another TE, but we'll have to see with him. Hopefully the tools they love can translate on the field for us.

I don’t know why but I like this pick. Gives me Cooley vibes. Not particularly fast or explosive and not really an exciting receiving threat. However, he blocks well, catches well and has the size and ability to get better. 

These uber-athletic wide TEs that keep getting drafted early don’t always hit. Yes Kyle Pitts looks like a super star, but Hockenson and Fant aren’t anything special. 

Give me an able and willing blocker with a big catch radius and I’ll ride with it. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

I don’t know why but I like this pick. Gives me Cooley vibes. Not particularly fast or explosive and not really an exciting receiving threat. However, he blocks well, catches well and has the size and ability to get better. 

These uber-athletic wide TEs that keep getting drafted early don’t always hit. Yes Kyle Pitts looks like a super star, but Hockenson and Fant aren’t anything special. 

Give me an able and willing blocker with a big catch radius and I’ll ride with it. 

Great comp to Cooley or even like a Jason Witten. He’s more Witten’s size, they said he has a good frame and can add muscle/good weight to his frame so, like Witten I think he can get up to 260 pounds.

Also, Bates said in an interview that the offense at Boise St didn’t really give him a lot opportunities to make plays in the passing game. I think at the Senior Bowl practices & that whole week he opened some eyes. I know I barely watched it this year or the practices, I think if us guys who didn’t watch any of that had watched it more this year we’d know this guy and like the pick more.

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Great comp to Cooley or even like a Jason Witten. He’s more Witten’s size, they said he has a good frame and can add muscle/good weight to his frame so, like Witten I think he can get up to 260 pounds.

Also, Bates said in an interview that the offense at Boise St didn’t really give him a lot opportunities to make plays in the passing game. I think at the Senior Bowl practices & that whole week he opened some eyes. I know I barely watched it this year or the practices, I think if us guys who didn’t watch any of that had watched it more this year we’d know this guy and like the pick more.

I like the Whitten comp over Cooley. Good job !

Round 4, pick 124 – John Bates, TE, Boise State: D-minus

I honestly don't know really anything about this guy, but I think the grade is fair. Most pundits had him as a late 3 three guy, and his production at Boise State was very limited. He seems to block well, but with the steep learning curve at TE in the NFL, I don't think he will have the immediate impact in the NFL that we need him to. I wasn't high on Tremble, but we could have really used him in this situation. 

5 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Round 4, pick 124 – John Bates, TE, Boise State: D-minus

I honestly don't know really anything about this guy, but I think the grade is fair. Most pundits had him as a late 3 three guy, and his production at Boise State was very limited. He seems to block well, but with the steep learning curve at TE in the NFL, I don't think he will have the immediate impact in the NFL that we need him to. I wasn't high on Tremble, but we could have really used him in this situation. 

Yeah, I’d definitely have Long & Tremble above him. From everything that’s been said he really impressed them at the Senior Bowl, as did all of the players who we drafted I think. 

Not sure about Jamin Davis, was he at the Senior Bowl?

I think this is almost a unfair thing as I’ve really had to go back because numbers aren’t a fair assessment for a player. Scheme and the target share is always something that factors into things. That being said when you have Kyle Pitts in your class it’s hard to get excited for the field. That said we shall see if he comes in and is a talented blocker and can do anything in the recieving game it’s a plus. The fact he’s capable good hands and he can do what most guys can’t stay on the field for because they can’t block we shall see.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 12:26 AM, A TRAIN 89 said:

It fills the #2 tight-end spot, that much is sure.  Thomas still has at least a year as the top guy, and we have the athlete guy to develop and see what they get.  Not a bad spot to take a guy like Bates either.  

• Like 1