NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

• 3 weeks later...

Only four days ago came word that Tom Dempsey had recovered from COVID-19. The good news was short lived. The former NFL kicker died late Saturday of complications from the coronavirus, the Times-Picayne reports. Dempsey was 73. Dempsey had battled Alzheimer’s disease and dementia since 2012. He was one of several residents of a senior living facility in New Orleans to contract COVID-19, testing positive March 25.

Dempsey, who was born without toes on his right foot and fingers on his right hand, signed with the Saints as an undrafted free agent in 1969. He is best remembered for his record-setting 63-yard field goal in 1969.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/05/tom-dempsey-dies-after-covid-19-battle/

Ancients Assemble!

remember Alex Karras...? the NFL record setting field goal Dempsey kicked was against the Lions, when Karras played for them. he said afterward that he had lined up for field goals many times on the 37 yard line,  but always facing the other way.

Edited by vike daddy

5 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Only four days ago came word that Tom Dempsey had recovered from COVID-19. The good news was short lived. The former NFL kicker died late Saturday of complications from the coronavirus, the Times-Picayne reports. Dempsey was 73. Dempsey had battled Alzheimer’s disease and dementia since 2012. He was one of several residents of a senior living facility in New Orleans to contract COVID-19, testing positive March 25.

Dempsey, who was born without toes on his right foot and fingers on his right hand, signed with the Saints as an undrafted free agent in 1969. He is best remembered for his record-setting 63-yard field goal in 1969.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/05/tom-dempsey-dies-after-covid-19-battle/

Ancients Assemble!

remember Alex Karras...? the NFL record setting field goal Dempsey kicked was against the Lions, when Karras played for them. he said afterward that he had lined up for field goals many times on the 37 yard line,  but always facing the other way.

I'm not an ancient yet, but yes, I remember Alex Karras...as Webster's dad.  xD

16 hours ago, swede700 said:

I'm not an ancient yet, but yes, I remember Alex Karras...as Webster's dad.  xD

I also remember reading in George Plimptons' book Mad Ducks and Bears, Karras is quoted that none of the Lion defenders took Dempsey's 63 yard attempt seriously. In fact they were all laughing right up to the point that the ball made it over the cross bar!!

8 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I also remember reading in George Plimptons' book Mad Ducks and Bears, Karras is quoted that none of the Lion defenders took Dempsey's 63 yard attempt seriously. In fact they were all laughing right up to the point that the ball made it over the cross bar!!

watch the video of it, they didn't even rush the ball, allowing it to be a line drive kick.

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

or Mongo.

Very true.  I always forget that one since he looks so different there from when I remember watching Webster (since of course, I was sheltered from watching Blazing Saddles until I was older).  

• 4 weeks later...

The 2017 NFL Draft is remembered around here for the trading for Sam Bradford, but now it's being remembered around the league for a different reason.  Four out of the top five picks in the draft have had their 5th year option declined; the first time such an occurrence has happened since the 5th year option was instituted. Top ten pick John Ross has also had his 5th year option declined

2. Mitchell Trubisky, Chicago
3. Soloman Thomas, San Francisco
4. Leonard Fournette, Jacksonville
5. Corey Davis, Tennessee
9. John Ross, Cincinnati