NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

2 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

If the league is going to experience financial hardship, then they should have planned better.

100% this. Funny how we're all about telling workers that they should save three months salary, not eat avocado toast, pull themselves up by their bootstraps, etc. etc. etc., but the billion dollar teams should get all sorts of concessions from the players. Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft, and the rest of them certainly should have planned better. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

100% this. Funny how we're all about telling workers that they should save three months salary, not eat avocado toast, pull themselves up by their bootstraps, etc. etc. etc., but the billion dollar teams should get all sorts of concessions from the players. Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft, and the rest of them certainly should have planned better. 

How many employers have made their employees make concessions during this pandemic?  The NFL isn't alone.  Thankfully, my employer has not, but I know many people that have been forced to take paycuts.  Should they have planned better too?

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

How many employers have made their employees make concessions during this pandemic?  The NFL isn't alone.  Thankfully, my employer has not, but I know many people that have been forced to take paycuts.  Should they have planned better too?

yes.

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

Various industries are different. Some industries the competition is such that it wouldn't even be possible. Maybe it would be possible for the NFL. Getting the NFLPA to agree to something like that would be tough.

Edited by Cearbhall

30 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

yes.

While I agree with you that they should have planned better, unfortunately, our society hasn't rewarded employers for preparing for such events, except in the case of my industry (insurance), where it's actually required to prepare for claims events...but, even in this case, they aren't necessarily required to plan for this type of event...although they likely will have to in the future.

Edited by swede700

Is there any potential to the players wearing plastic face shields over the bars on the helmets or would that be a safety hazard? Until they decide that it's more of an airborne virus, it seems like the biggest thing is too block it in its path 

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

Is there any potential to the players wearing plastic face shields over the bars on the helmets or would that be a safety hazard? Until they decide that it's more of an airborne virus, it seems like the biggest thing is too block it in its path 

Only if you could get it not to fog up the shield.  

The Cowboys have had chances to get quarterback Dak Prescott signed to a long-term deal. They’ve consistently failed to offer enough to get him to accept. Now, Prescott has more power over the team than ever. He’ll make $31.4 million this year. Absent a long-term deal after the season, he’ll either become a free agent in 2021 or make $37.68 million under the franchise or transition tag.

Some think the Cowboys won’t tag Dak next year. If they don’t, he’ll be able to pick his next team, unfettered by the Cowboys. That could mean the Jets or the Patriots or the Steelers (if Ben Roethlisberger retires) or the Colts or the Jaguars or the Raiders or Washington or the Bears or the Lions or the Saints or the Panthers or the 49ers. And then the Cowboys would have to find someone else to play quarterback.

Whatever happens, the failure to reach a long-term deal pushes the minute hand much closer to midnight for Dak leaving Dallas. If they tag him in 2021, a long-term offer will need to be good enough to get him to trade in $37.68 million for 2021 and the doomsday option for 2022: more than $45 million under the transition tag, more than $54 million under the franchise tag, or the open market. Whatever that is, it will be a lot more than what it would have taken in 2020.

That could be where it’s heading, with the Cowboys not being able to keep it from happening. And with the Cowboys potentially being required to compete with other teams in order to get Dak signed to a long-term contract.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/15/cowboys-dak-prescott-take-next-step-toward-potential-divorce/