NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers put pen to paper today on a contract that puts him over an impressive career threshold.

Peppers has made $159 million in his career, and he’ll be over $160 million in career earnings this season. He’s the highest-paid non-quarterback in NFL history. Among the highest-paid players in NFL history, only Peppers and Larry Fitzgerald($151 million) have made it into the Top 15 playing any position other than quarterback.

The highest-paid player in NFL history is Peyton Manning, at $249 million. His brother Eli Manning is second at $219 million, Tom Brady is third at $197 million, Drew Brees is fourth at $194 million and Philip Rivers is fifth at $187 million.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/14/julius-peppers-set-to-become-only-defensive-player-with-160-million-in-career-earnings/

13 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I mean.... they have two decent guards already.... 

But Nelson is a generational talent, I'd take him as a major upgrade and at worst, trade one of the other guards (to us ha ha!) or just keep them as a back-up.

Two days into the league year, it’s already clear that at least a dozen NFL teams will be starting a different quarterback in Week One of 2018 than in Week One of 2017. Two other teams currently have questions about their Week One starter, and that’s before any surprises in the draft, or injuries in the preseason.

Assuming we do have some surprises in the coming months, it’s easy to see half of the teams in the NFL beginning the 2018 season with a different starting quarterback than they had in the beginning of the 2017 season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/16/half-the-nfl-could-have-a-different-week-one-starting-quarterback-in-2018/

The NFL's competition committee is expected to propose a new catch rule that would eliminate the distinction for players going to the ground and reinforce a high standard for overturning calls via replay, league executive vice president Troy Vincent confirmed Tuesday to the Washington Post.

The requirements for a catch, under the committee's likely proposal, will include the receiver controlling the ball and establishing himself in bounds. There will also be instruction for officials to define a time element, but it will apply both to receivers who are standing and those who are falling during the process of the catch.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22844480/nfl-vp-troy-vincent-confirms-changes-nfl-catch-rule

Honestly, if they have two feet down, in bounds, and the ball it should be a catch - I wouldn't even mind seeing those bang-bang plays where the ball pops out immediately at the catch being ruled fumbles.

Make the game more interesting.

• Like 2

I never had a problem with the rule of maintaining control through the process of the catch.

My only issue was with what the NFL considered a “football move”. 

I would have left the rule and simply further defined control/possession as any manipulation of the football. 

I've never liked the maintaining control to the ground in the end zone/out of bounds. If the ground can't cause a fumble, to me it makes sense for it to not be able cause an incompletion. That's just me though.

5 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

I've never liked the maintaining control to the ground in the end zone/out of bounds. If the ground can't cause a fumble, to me it makes sense for it to not be able cause an incompletion. That's just me though.

But there should be something that indicates possession. Even if it’s something as simple as moving the ball to put it away. 

IMO, any type of manipulation of the football while it’s in the receiver’s hands would indicate control, therefor possession, of the football. 

So, if a receiver went up for a ball and tucked it away before hitting the ground, that would show possession, IMO. And at the same time, if the ball pops loose when the receiver hits the ground, before any defender makes contact with the receiver, I would consider that a fumble. 

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

But there should be something that indicates possession. Even if it’s something as simple as moving the ball to put it away. 

IMO, any type of manipulation of the football while it’s in the receiver’s hands would indicate control, therefor possession, of the football. 

So, if a receiver went up for a ball and tucked it away before hitting the ground, that would show possession, IMO. And at the same time, if the ball pops loose when the receiver hits the ground, before any defender makes contact with the receiver, I would consider that a fumble. 

If a WR catches the ball on the sideline and gets both feet in, but doesn't bring the ball into their body (thereby indicating control) until they are out of bounds, is that a catch? 

23 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

If a WR catches the ball on the sideline and gets both feet in, but doesn't bring the ball into their body (thereby indicating control) until they are out of bounds, is that a catch? 

If the ball never moves, yes. That wouldn’t be any different than how the current rule is now.