NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

7 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Like I said... this would just turn into a mess if it turns into a judgement call. I can see it now. I truly believe the best way is to either leave it a spot foul, or make it a 15 yard penalty. I actually like both of them. Understand both opinions of either way. I just don’t want to leave more of the game in the refs hands.

I can understand the hesitation on doing so, but it's already a judgment call.  I'm not sure there's much of an additional stretch in judgment with my idea.  It's the equivalent of the face mask penalty...if it's a personal foul, it's a spot foul, if it's incidental, it's 15 yards.  Create the definition of what a personal foul on pass interference is, and go with it.  I just personally believe it's far too harsh of a penalty as it is.    

• Like 3

1 hour ago, disaacs said:

I think if a player legitimately tackles a receiver when he gets beat, then it should be a spot foul...but, incidental interference, like often happens, shouldn't be a spot foul, because it far too often is a game-changing play, which no penalty should be.  It should have an impact, but it shouldn't dramatically change the game.    

I have a very hard time separating the difference between incidental contract and intentional contact.  Guys can do a lot of "things incidental" without it actually looking intentional.  I mean I'd have no problem with a 15yd penalty if players incidentally tripped each other while obviously looking for the ball the whole time.  I guess it would just come down to another judgement call which is kind of what we want to get away from or atleast what I would like to get away from

1. - Ok no problem just maybe the way I took it.  If you didn't mean it than my apologies

2. - Coaches need to do a much better job at teaching technique then and that's part of where I think the difference between incidental and intentional contact would be a horrible idea of leaving that up to the refs.  I believe this was said in here but it'd become like the face mask penalty but worse because a potential 40+yd play results in just a 15yd penalty.  It just feels like anytime a player brushes another's face mask it's automatically penalty reguardless if the defender gets his hands off immediately or not.  Bottom line for me is I don't trust the refs to make the correct call, I believe we've had plenty of instances where they've proven themselves of making the incorrect call.

3. - Wasn't just directed at you, I've been into a lot of these threads since coming back and most(not everyone) can't seem to have a level headed conversation.  I used to hate that we couldn't act like idiots here when I first signed up or rather how strict it was but it was nice to have actual conversations and hear/read others opinions no matter how far fetched they might have been as long as they came with some sort of reasoning.  It just seems like there's far less discussion and much more arguing going on.  Anyways just my 2 cents

Edited by Boda

2 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

This assumes they catch it, which I would admit will happen more times than not. These chunk gains have the potential to shift games, I don't see the harm with the 15 yard penalty as the offense still advances the ball 15 yards and gets 3 (or 4) more downs to get another 1st down. With QBs being able to throw the ball as far as they can it can be a quick and cheap way, in my opinion, to move the ball the length of the field. 

Perhaps the instance that bugs me the most is the under-thrown ball where the WR stops and works back through the DB to get to the ball. Said DB has no idea where the ball is and is entitled to his space on the field and the offensive player initiates the contact. I'll admit I'm also biased since I played defense in HS and college. :D

See something like that I could live with a 15yd penalty, if it was up to me I'd probably call that something other than PI and give it a 15yd penalty.  Some sort of rule if the WR has to run backwards towards the ball simply because of the underthrow, possibly treat it like a tipped ball ... idk  I also agree & believe that offensive players need to start getting called for PI a lot more as they do get away with a lot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I'm curious @Boda on your thoughts on the automatic 1st down due to illegal contact/defensive holding by DB's (5 yard penalty) on plays of 3rd and 6+ yards.

Not a fan.  If i'm being completely honest I love it when it works in the Vikes favor and hate it when it doesnt :D  But how I believe it should be is if the penalty yardage doesn't result in a first down than it should be 2nd, 3rd or 4th and whatever yardage is left.

I guess the difference for me is with the very early call on the Illegal Contact or the Defensive Holding is that there is still a lot left to play out and we don't really know how the route would have played out

29 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

so this hurts those “bruiser” runningbacks right?

I get the point of the rule for safety. Should help players keep their face mask up while making tackles. Promote more form tackling.

32 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Personally I am just not a fan of this rule.

In terms for how it could impact the game, I’m not a fan. As a high school coach and how this could impact the way my kids try to run and tackle, I’m a huge fan. 

1 minute ago, rpmwr19 said:

In terms for how it could impact the game, I’m not a fan. As a high school coach and how this could impact the way my kids try to run and tackle, I’m a huge fan. 

Absolutely. I understand it 100%.

I just think this being thrown out there is going to be an issue. It’s going to be tough for players to change how they have tackled for 20+ years to all of a sudden remember to make every tackle like this in 6 months.

It most likely will slow down games, be a far bigger issue for defensive players than the ball handlers, and some game a key player will be ejected and hurt a team down the line. 

Its basically the targeting rule, without the term “targeting” put on it. We’ve all seen how well that’s gone in the college program.