NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

There’s a bit of a discrepancy brewing between a pair of NFL insiders regarding the future of Raiders kicker Sebastian Janikowski.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Raiders are squeezing the 17-year veteran to cut his $4 million salary, and that he could be cut as soon as Tuesday. Schefter points to the team’s decision to work out a trio of kickers on Monday as proof of the fact that the Raiders are serious about making a change. But Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the tryouts arose from problems with Janikowski’s back, and that he looked “awful” on Monday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/04/raiders-kicker-tryouts-reportedly-due-to-janikowski-injury/

Browns defensive end Myles Garrett hurt his anklein Wednesday’s practice, which makes the first overall pick’s presence in the lineup for Sunday’s game against the Steelers something less than a sure thing.

According to a report from Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com, there’s worry that Garrett’s regular season debut will be delayed well beyond that date. Cabot reports that Garrett is headed for further tests on the ankle, which will likely include an MRI, and a team source told her that the team is “worried the injury could sideline him for weeks.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/06/report-browns-fear-myles-garrett-could-miss-weeks/

This isn't NFL news per say, but with Aaron Donald still unsigned, some trade speculation is percolating. (Pssst...By speculation I mean a blog writer somewhere laid out "what if" trade scenarios. Nothing in the rumor mill that I'm aware of....I digress)

So, setting aside realism, what would you give up to get Donald on this roster, asap?

To be honest, I'd be willing to pay a pretty big ransom.  Obviously it would have to be more of win now move, so you don't want to take away pieces that help toward that goal.  All in all tho, Donald is game changing enough where you could give up multiple solid assets to get him and still end up a winner (i.e. Barr plus Diggs; and so on)

Edited by Dolmonite26

19 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I'd give them Anthony Barr and Stefon Diggs. Maybe a 2nd too.

Absolutely not.  Donald is good but I would not give up two good young players for Tom Brady...much less Donald.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Virginia Viking said:

Absolutely not.  Donald is good by I would not give up two good young players for Tom Brady...much less Donald.

Well I think Barr is a bit over-rated (at least currently), and I think Thielen is better than Diggs. I don't think Diggs will be a perennial 1000-yard WR (partially due to injuries). Donald is a yearly All Pro.

I disagree with you on Diggs, I think he is a potentially special receiver and will prove this year who is the better between him and Thielen.  However, there is enough depth at the position making Diggs "expendable".

The same can't be said of the linebackers, which would make any loss of Barr difficult to overcome th 

Antonio Gates owns numerous team and NFL records. None, though, compares to the one he should break this season. His next touchdown catch will be No. 112 in his career, breaking his tie with Tony Gonzalez for the most touchdown receptions by a tight end in NFL history. It also will rank sixth among anyone ever, trailing only Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Cris Carter and Marvin Harrison.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/06/antonio-gates-on-verge-of-record-for-most-touchdowns-by-a-tight-end/

13 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Absolutely not.  Donald is good by I would not give up two good young players for Tom Brady...much less Donald.

Agreed.  That's way too much to tie up in a defensive line.  I like Aaron Donald a lot and they had their shot to get him in the draft and passed.  Unless they want to take solely draft picks (a 1st and a 3rd would be the most I'd give up).  I'm not giving up a ransom to get him because their line is already pretty good without him.  The gain in the defensive line is not big enough to warrant the significant decrease in other parts of the team to get him.  

3 hours ago, disaacs said:

The gain in the defensive line is not big enough to warrant the significant decrease in other parts of the team to get him.  

I'm not sure that some people here realize how good Donald is.  Plus he's only 26.

To reiterate I'm not necessarily saying they should to anything here (much less that this scenario resembles anything remotely plausible).  I'm just saying Aaron Donald is baaaad man.

I'm pretty sure everyone is aware of how good Donald is, but some are aware that trading multiple young, and talented players for him would make the team as a whole weaker. 

Plus, Donald wats to be he highest paid defensive player in the league, which is near a $20M per year price tag. Add in the $27M per year we've got committed to Griffen and Joseph, plus the probable $15M+ per year that Hunter is likely to command, and now you're looking at ~$62M invested in just the defensive front 4. Going to be tough building a complete team with at least 1/3 of the salary cap tied up in 4 players. 

• Like 1