NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

51 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Makes sense.

I like that we'll have new blood in the Super Bowl stadium game. I feel like it's always the same 5-10 cities on rotation. A few have slipped into the rotation for one game because of a new stadium, but otherwise I feel like it's always the same hosts.

Since I started following the NFL (latest Cowboys-Steelers game), three cities have hosted the game three times and another three have hosted it twice. That's six cities hosting 16 of 23 games.

3 of the first 5 Super Bowls were played in Miami.  And the first 7 (and 9 of 10) were all played in Miami, LA or New Orleans.  It wasn't until SB XVI (First 49ers-Bengals clash) that they played north of the Mason-Dixon line.  

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

No issue with the kickoff rules, but this new helmet rule is going to be a disaster. 

I think the helmet rule is fine.  Actually, it takes the NFL back to the way football used to be played when the helmets were leather.  Tackling and blocking was much better then, in my opinion!  The Duluth Eskimos' was my team in the 1920's!!!

The rule is ridiculous because it’s purey subjective. 

Officials have proven that they can’t get other rules with subjectivity, eg pass interference, correct. Not to mention how badly they’ve managed to screw up something as simple as a catch. Heck, they can’t even make helmet to helmet calls consistently.

Now the NFL has introduced an even more  subjective rule than any others in the rule book, they expect officials to be able to make proper calls on the field in real time, and they’re asking officials to make judgments on a player’s intent. Not to mention, the lack of consistency that is most likely going to occur with this rule. 

And it goes beyond tackling. This rule can be called on a running back going up the middle, or a QB on a sneak, it can even be called on linemen coming out of their 3 point stance. 

Edited by SemperFeist

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

that's something, but I would have expected more missed games from Bradford in that timeframe.

I honestly thought it was the other way around. 

Its weird how two of the “next Peyton Manning’s” to be drafted both ended up having injury derailed careers. Luck is still to the point where if he can find a solid line and not run/protect himself he can make a very very above average career.

• Like 1

With four of 17 referees gone, four new referees are in. And that could make officiating even more challenging this year for the NFL.

“I’ve never been involved in a season where you went with four new referees, and four referees that really haven’t been around the league that long,” FOX’s Mike Pereira, a former NFL V.P. of officiating, told Ben Volin of the Boston Globe. “And first-year referees aren’t eligible for playoffs, so you’re going to dig deeper into the remaining stash of referees. That could create a problem, too.”

Gone are Jeff Triplette, Ed Hochuli, Gene Steratore, and Terry McAulay. And they may not be alone; according to Volin, four more referees (Walt Anderson, Walt Coleman, Pete Morelli, and Tony Corrente) could be walking away within the next year or two.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/30/nfl-faces-challenge-of-breaking-in-four-new-referees/

I like Walt Coleman.  He's not Ed Hochuli, but he's solid.  I miss the Johnny Grier, Jerry Markbreit and Red Cashen.  I was never fond of Markbreit's attitude, but he was a good referee (kind of struck me as the NFL version of Andy Van Hellemond).  

On 7/8/2018 at 9:15 AM, vike daddy said:

former 49ers tight end Dwight Clark's ashes were laid to rest in... Montana this weekend, at Eddie Debartolo's ranch. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/08/dwight-clarks-ashes-buried-next-to-goal-post-from-the-catch/

ive been there, it's a deluxe spread.

Did you pretend to make the "Catch" at the goal posts too?

Heading into the 2018 season, Saints quarterback Drew Brees and Patriots quarterback Tom Brady are tied on the career passing touchdowns list: Both have thrown exactly 488 touchdowns in their career. That puts them 51 behind Peyton Manning’s all-time career record of 539, and over the next couple years they’ll race to see which one gets there first.

It’s unlikely that either will break Manning’s record in 2018: Brady’s career high in touchdown passes is 50, and Brees’ career high is 46, so it will probably be 2019 before either one of them gets to Manning.

But assuming they both play at least two more years and both stay healthy, they should both top Manning’s touchdown mark. They could even find themselves in a situation where they’re both breaking each other’s record on a regular basis. That would be reminiscent of the 1983 Major League Baseball season, when pitchers Nolan Ryan and Steve Carlton both broke the previous career strikeout record, and then proceeded to trade the lead back and forth 14 times over the course of that season.

The Brees-Brady touchdown race might just become the hottest story in the NFL, but probably not until 2019.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/14/drew-brees-tom-brady-in-a-race-toward-petyon-mannings-touchdown-record/