NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

7 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Vikings linebacker Anthony Barr was not penalized last season when he hit Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers after Rodgers delivered a pass while out of the pocket, but something similar this year would have a different result. That was the word from NFL referee Pete Morelli on Thursday. Morelli was in Minnesota to talk to the Vikings about this year’s rules changes, including enhanced protections for defenseless players. Morelli also spoke to reporters and told them that Rodgers, who broke his collarbone on the play, would qualify under that change.

Morelli: “Any time a quarterback’s in a defenseless position, players will have to kind of roll to the side when they make that tackle instead of plopping down on them. So, yeah, the Aaron Rodgers hit would be a foul this year. As long as he’s out of pocket, established, and all that. If he’s running, that’s not the same.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/02/pete-morelli-anthony-barrs-hit-on-aaron-rodgers-would-be-a-penalty-this-year/

“kind of roll to their side when they make a tackle” ?

11 hours ago, Klomp said:

They'll never be able to eliminate all injuries....I don't think that's their intention. It's just to make things as safe as possible. It's about protecting defenseless players.

Rodgers wasn't defenseless.  And a defensive player can't possibly anticipate whether a QB is going to run or pass, since Rodgers was rolling out at the time.  If that's a penalty under the new rules, they may just as well change it to 2-hand touch.    

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Corey Coleman and Josh Allen could be fun to watch. 

Call me crazy, but I don't hate the Bills' weapons. No they aren't the best in the league but they aren't terrible.

Allen having a big-bodied receiver is something he had in Wyoming, and Benjamin certainly fits the bill. And Coleman gives him a nice speed option too. At TE, Clay has been called Mr Necessary by some in the past, and he might be that again. But worth noting Allen liked going to his TE in college, and I think those two can be a decent fit together in Buffalo.

I'll call you crazy ;)

I think that offense is going to go as far as McCoy takes them. If he ends up suspended they are a 4-6 win team.

If the Browns thought that a 2020 7th round pick was worth more than a healthy Coleman coming into camp, I don't have a ton of faith in him being better in Buffalo. Cleveland isn't in a position to be giving away talent.

26 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Call me crazy, but I don't hate the Bills' weapons. No they aren't the best in the league but they aren't terrible.

Maybe not on paper, but it really depends on how those weapons show up on the field. Is he getting 2014 Benjamin, or the Benjamin who ate himself off of the Panthers? 

Reports/rumors that Coleman doesn’t understand how to play receiver also don’t help. Especially a rookie/young QB. 

10 hours ago, Klomp said:

Allen having a big-bodied receiver is something he had in Wyoming, and Benjamin certainly fits the bill. And Coleman gives him a nice speed option too. At TE, Clay has been called Mr Necessary by some in the past, and he might be that again. But worth noting Allen liked going to his TE in college, and I think those two can be a decent fit together in Buffalo.

I’m not a fan of them. Benjamin is overweight and really not THAT good. Just an TE basically that can’t block and recently has even struggled on 50/50 balls. Clay struggles now with his health, I do like him tho. 

I’m unsure about Zay Jones. Holmes is a touch underrated and I’ll be interested in seeing if they actually use him. 

Now the trade... I think it’s a great trade for the Bills. Allen’s cannon hopefully can lead Coleman and open him up on those deep plays like in college. Coleman truely has progressed less than Treadwell, but maybe getting out of Cleveland will be a good thing. Heck, all they did was give up a 7th round pick for a receiver with “talent”. Probably still a better player than they would draft at WR with that 7th round pick next year. 

Eagles wide receiver Alshon Jeffery has been on the physically unable to perform list since the start of training camp, and he may not be off it any time soon.

Jeffery, who is recovering from offseason shoulder surgery, could stay on the PUP list at the start of the regular season, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/13/alshon-jeffery-may-miss-first-six-games-of-the-regular-season/

Jeffery, who is recovering from offseason shoulder surgery, could stay on the PUP list at the start of the regular season, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network. By rule, any player who is on the PUP list at the start of the regular season must miss at least the first six weeks of the season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/13/alshon-jeffery-may-miss-first-six-games-of-the-regular-season/

and we play the Iggles in Week 5...?

Edited by vike daddy