NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

CBS analyst and two-time coach of the year Bruce Arians said the only job that would tempt him was the Browns job currently held by interim Gregg Williams. The colorful coach worked for the Browns from 2001-03, and was on the staff which made the lone playoff appearance of the modern era of the Browns (2002).

Arians: “Cleveland is the only job I would consider.”

If anyone could do it, I think Arians could.

On Sunday, the Cincinnati Bengals became the first team in the Super Bowl-era to give up 500-plus yards in three straight games.

On Monday, the Bengals fired their defensive coordinator. NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported that DC Teryl Austin has been let go, per a source informed of the move.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000987470/article/bengals-fire-dc-teryl-austin-after-loss-to-saints

must be tough for CIN fans to watch Zimmer's success with our D.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Browns are considering former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice as their next head coach.

Rice is a big football fan who has served on the College Football Playoff selection committee and has reportedly expressed interest in becoming commissioner of the NFL some day. But head coach? There’s no precedent at all for someone without any coaching experience to become an NFL head coach. And Rice has no coaching experience.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/18/report-browns-considering-condoleezza-rice-for-head-coaching-job/?cid=eref:nbcnews:text

Condi's a nice person, but I wouldn't consider her to coach my favorite team's sales staff, let alone their football team.  That'd be like hiring Syd Davy to replace Zimmer.  Pure nonsense.  But, I guess an organization that retained a head coach into a season after winning only 1 game in 2 years would certainly consider hiring a person with zero experience to coach their football team.    

For the first time in its history, ABC will broadcast all three days of the 2019 NFL Draft – including two nights of primetime coverage – as part of The Walt Disney Company's unprecedented commitment to one of the National Football League's marquee offseason events. ABC will be the exclusive broadcast home of the event and will produce its own distinct telecast for the ABC audience, separate from ESPN and NFL Network, during the first two nights of coverage. For the second straight year, ABC will simulcast ESPN's presentation on Day 3.

The prime-time draft specials on ABC will be anchored by ESPN's College GameDay, college football's longest-running pregame show. ESPN and ABC personalities and other special guests will be part of the multi-night ABC presentation. The telecasts on ESPN and NFL Network will continue to offer the expert NFL analysis that passionate NFL fans have come to rely on every year.

The 2019 NFL Draft is scheduled for April 25-27, 2019 in Nashville, Tenn.

https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/Disney-and-the-National-Football-League-Join-Forces-to-Expand-Coverage-of-the-NFL-Draft.aspx

13 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I miss the Saturday/Sunday coverage for the draft, mainly because it was more insightful draft coverage. 

The more the coverage has moved into prime time, the more dumbed down the coverage has gotten. Which is something that I’ve never understood with NFL coverage. 

I much prefer the Weekend coverage than this 3-day nonsense, because I don't want to spend my weeknight time watching a draft.  I'd much rather spend a weekend morning/afternoon following the draft, especially since I can listen to it while I'm doing yardwork.  

Looking ahead to Week 17, I wouldn't be surprised if once again there is no SNF game, like happened last year. Not only because it adds to the drama, but there just aren't that many great games with playoffs on the line for both teams.

Honestly, our game with Chicago has the best chance to be put in primetime right now, followed by maybe WAS/PHI. No other matchups look very compelling.

7 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

That escalated quickly

There seems little chance that the Chiefs and NFL didn't have an inkling about this. Also seems far-fetched that they couldn't access the tape if TMZ could. 

Over/Under on Tyreek Hill ending up in the same boat?

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

There seems little chance that the Chiefs and NFL didn't have an inkling about this. Also seems far-fetched that they couldn't access the tape if TMZ could. 

Over/Under on Tyreek Hill ending up in the same boat?

They knew of the incident, or at least Hunt’s version. And while the NFL should be able to obtain the video, a less than scrupulous entity like TMZ is going to have more channels of obtaining the video than the NFL, who likely wouldn’t want to deal with the PR issues of paying off a police official or someone from the hotel on top of the PR issues from the content of the video. 

The move by the Chiefs obviously sends the message to the team that this behavior, plus lying to the organization, won’t be tolerated. 

As for Hill, I don’t see this impacting him in any way, as long as he doesn’t get into any more trouble. While both involving domestic abuse, Hill’s and Hunt’s situations aren’t all that similar. What Hill did is far worse than what the video shows Hunt doing, however, at the time of his incident Hill wasn’t an employee of the Chiefs. Also, Hill did just about everything right after his incident. He plead guilty, he served his punishment, he took the necessary steps to show remorse, and he’s had no further issues reported. Hunt apparently took the cover-up approach, and lied about his incident. And as it’s been said time and time again, the cover-up is always worse than the crime. 

If the New England Patriots win on Sunday at Miami, the Patriots will clinch the AFC East for the 10th consecutive year. They won’t just be the only NFL team to win a division 10 years in a row, but they’ll be just the second team in any of the four major North American sports leagues to win a division 10 years in a row. Only the Atlanta Braves, who won their division every year from 1995 through 2005, have done it before.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/08/patriots-a-win-away-from-an-incredible-10th-straight-division-title/

• Like 1