NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

1 minute ago, vikestyle said:

You've gotta put it is perspective. If the other person in contention was Hue Jackson, the Bengals made a phenomenal hire.

I understand that perspective, but it's a very limited perspective.  xD

To me, it just sounds like some franchises are just throwing darts against the wall to see what sticks, just because the hires of Nagy and McVay seemed to have worked out.  Even so, the hire of Zac Taylor is still better than that Cardinals' hire of Kliff Kingsbury.  They may as well have hired me because I'm about as qualified to be an NFL head coach as he is.  

IMO, the best hires this cycle were made by the Broncos, Dolphins, Jets and Browns. While the Dolphins and Browns' hires were also young, their hires at least had some modicum of success in their short tenures as coordinators.  Flores paid his dues under Belichick, so he warranted an opportunity.   The hires of Taylor, Kingsbury, and LeFleur all found me scratching my head.  But, who knows, they may work out...although the Taylor hire just wreaks of another David Shula-type hire.  Arians will be a fine head coach in TB, but he's a short-timer as far as I'm concerned.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It really was bad. Not that there weren’t worthwhile candidates, but the NFL basically said that anyone who has touched the coat of McVay is a head coaching candidate. 

Mill bet that in 3 years, half or more of these coaches will be fired. 

I'm sure they will be. 

And your 2020 Head Coach of the New Orleans Saints (after Sean Payton moves to Dallas after Garrett is gone and Drew Brees retires), Kevin Stefanski.  

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

To me, it just sounds like some franchises are just throwing darts against the wall to see what sticks, just because the hires of Nagy and McVay seemed to have worked out.  Even so, the hire of Zac Taylor is still better than that Cardinals' hire of Kliff Kingsbury.  They may as well have hired me because I'm about as qualified to be an NFL head coach as he is.  

IMO, the best hires this cycle were made by the Broncos, Dolphins, Jets and Browns. While the Dolphins and Browns' hires were also young, their hires at least had some modicum of success in their short tenures as coordinators.  Flores paid his dues under Belichick, so he warranted an opportunity.   The hires of Taylor, Kingsbury, and LeFleur all found me scratching my head.  But, who knows, they may work out...although the Taylor hire just wreaks of another David Shula-type hire.  Arians will be a fine head coach in TB, but he's a short-timer as far as I'm concerned.  

The gambles are getting bigger and bigger for sure. A couple teams "hit the lottery", so teams are trying to follow suit. It will be interesting to see if the Taylor/Lafluer/Kingsbury hires crash and burn. If they do, does the pendulum swing back to the Jeff Fisher and John Fox types?

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't understand the Gase hire in NYJ. And while Flores paid his dues, Belicheck assistants don't exactly have a great track record as HCs. 

27 minutes ago, Klomp said:

I don't understand the Gase hire in NYJ. And while Flores paid his dues, Belicheck assistants don't exactly have a great track record as HCs. 

I personally think Gase was a better coach than he was given credit for, considering all the injury issues that they had in Miami.  I don't think he was supported properly by ownership or the front office (it will be interesting to see if Flores can work better under the new GM).  We'll see how he works with Maccagnan, who survived the upheaval in NY.  Maccagnan hadn't hired Bowles, so this will be his first actual head coaching hire.  

And while I agree that Belichick assistants don't have a great track record, that doesn't necessarily mean that they shouldn't still have opportunities.  Sometimes, a few eggs have to be cracked before you find the golden one.  It happened after Bill Parcells' assistants like Ray Handley, Chris Palmer, and Al Groh all failed...and then a guy like Belichick succeeded (after failing in Cleveland). 

Edited by swede700

I have finally gotten to watch the NFL 100 commercial that was shown during the Super Bowl.  I thought it was pretty good...however, how come no classic Vikings or Bills players?  Where was Page and Tarkenton? Randy Moss or John Randle? Thurman Thomas and Bruce Smith?  Come to think of it, there were no Raiders or Washington players either?  No Jim Plunket or Fred Biletnikoff? No John Riggins or Darrell Greene?  Or members of the Hogs?  C'mon NFL...there are other teams than the Steelers, 49'ers Cowboys and Patriots believe it or not!

9 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Cecil Lammey✔@CecilLammey

Hearing buzz that the #Broncos will let Matt Paradis test the open market. They like him but do not want to pay top dollar for the veteran center. Heard that Paradis wants to stay in Denver but won't take a low-ball offer.

He's been a potential player on my list since i started working on an offseason mock. If the Vikings end up engaging talks with him, that could be an early indicator that their comfortable moving Elflein to guard. Then again, we think everyone can move to guard xD

On March 7, 2017, the Denver Broncos signed Paradis to his exclusive rights tender under the terms of one-year, $615,000 contract. Due to his exclusive rights tender, he was unable to negotiate with any other team, but will become a restricted free agent in 2018.

Paradis missed organized team activities and the beginning of training camp after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on both his hips during the offseason. He returned to training camp after receiving medical clearance in July. Head coach Vance Joseph named Paradis the starting center to begin the regular season, ahead of Connor McGovern and Dillon Day. Paradis started all 16 regular season games for the third consecutive season. He earned an overall grade of 75.2 from Pro Football Focus in 2017.

On March 12, 2018, the Broncos placed a second-round restricted free agent tender on Paradis. He started the first nine games at center before suffering a fractured fibula in Week 9. He was placed on injured reserve on November 12, 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Paradis

Edited by vike daddy

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 2:02 PM, Virginia Viking said:

I have finally gotten to watch the NFL 100 commercial that was shown during the Super Bowl.  I thought it was pretty good...however, how come no classic Vikings or Bills players?  Where was Page and Tarkenton? Randy Moss or John Randle? Thurman Thomas and Bruce Smith?  Come to think of it, there were no Raiders or Washington players either?  No Jim Plunket or Fred Biletnikoff? No John Riggins or Darrell Greene?  Or members of the Hogs?  C'mon NFL...there are other teams than the Steelers, 49'ers Cowboys and Patriots believe it or not!

Not trying to rub it in and genuinely curious, but was the super bowl commercial only for players that have won a superbowl? Vikes and bills 0-8 in the super bowl IIRC so wouldn't have any players to put in there if it was only for players who have won a bowl.

Edited by Arthur Penske

17 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Not trying to rub it in and genuinely curious, but was the super bowl commercial only for players that have won a superbowl? Vikes and bills 0-8 in the super bowl IIRC so wouldn't have any players to put in there if it was only for players who have won a bowl.

Nope.  Baker Mayfield and Saqoun Barkley were in...so was Jaylen Ramsey.  As was Jim Brown.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

Nope.  Baker Mayfield and Saqoun Barkley were in...so was Jaylen Ramsey.  As was Jim Brown.

Larry Fitzgerald too.

however, it would have been a chuckle for the old timers if they had Fran Tarkenton at a table talking on his phone and showing no interest in the football shenanigans.

Edited by vike daddy

Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid's collusion case against the NFL officially came to an end on Friday afternoon. His lawyer, Mark Geragos, and the NFL both put out a statement saying that the matter had officially been resolved. Terms of the agreements were not revealed, and they will not see the light of day due to the confidentiality agreement.

That being said, there are multiple figures around the NFL that have a rough estimate of how much money Kaepernick actually received in this settlement. According to Mike Freeman of Bleacher/Report, NFL team officials are speculating that the former 49ers quarterback was paid in the range of $60 to $80 million. He continued to say that it wasn't an official figure, but all of the speculation voiced by the NFL higher-ups agreed on this range.

https://247sports.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/Article/Colin-Kaepernick-collusion-case-settlement-amount-NFL-129142821/?fbclid=IwAR1iRtfkojFMqT-tRGc3ShgI4ZSo9Vc_idPg1HlFcN8CFGOYpU_9boLp0pI