NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

9 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Probably a contrarian opinion for a Vikings fan but I wouldn't have been mad for a second if the Vikes had made this move instead.

If the Vikes did this and I'm Adam Thielen, I demand a trade immediately. He works his butt off to work his way up the depth chart, way outplayed his contract and isn't publicly making a stink about it, and is a phenomenal teammate. Now we're gonna trade for a guy to take his targets that quit on his team and went on a media tour making himself look like an insane person with 3 years left on his huge contract? There's no way I'd play another down for the Vikings if I were him.

4 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Like I said, contrarian opinion.

But I gotta ask, have y'all forgotten how good this guy is? A 3rd and a 5th round pick is nothing and Oak is only paying like a 3rd of his salary this year, I mean c'mon that's nuts 😆

They gave him a 3 year $50 million extension as well..........

Just now, Dolmonite26 said:

I know and Pittsburgh is paying 20M of that this year....i think, lemme double check

The thing is with our cap situation, it's not just trading a 3rd and a 5th. You would effectively be trading the opportunity to sign any other free agents. Kirk couldn't get the ball to Thielen and Diggs late in the season behind this OL, but AB would help that? Plus, you're setting a horrible precedent. Hunter has a big year next year? Demand a trade. Diggs has a big year? Trade. Kendricks has a big year? That's right, trade. Or you're telling people they have the right to demand more money with 3 years left on their contract.

Not worth it at all in my opinion. And I didn't even mention the fact that the Raiders will be guaranteed $10 million to a 34 year old WR (I think that's the number).

10 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

I know and Pittsburgh is paying 20M of that this year....i think, lemme double check

No, the Steelers won't be paying him anything this year. The Steelers will have a dead cap charge of around $20M this year owing to Brown, but they are not paying him anything this year. That is money they already paid him that was prorated over the duration of the contract. By trading him, that will all accelerate to this year. 

The only way the Steelers will be paying Brown anything this year is if the terms of the trade dictate that they will. I have seen nothing to suggest that.

9 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

No, the Steelers won't be paying him anything this year. The Steelers will have a dead cap charge of around $20M this year owing to Brown, but they are not paying him anything this year. That is money they already paid him that was prorated over the duration of the contract. By trading him, that will all accelerate to this year. 

The only way the Steelers will be paying Brown anything this year is if the terms of the trade dictate that they will. I have seen nothing to suggest that.

They have a dead cap hit because.....theyre paying him

Edit: Nvm re-read your post, ty for the clarification.

Edited by Dolmonite26

19 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

The thing is with our cap situation, it's not just trading a 3rd and a 5th. You would effectively be trading the opportunity to sign any other free agents. Kirk couldn't get the ball to Thielen and Diggs late in the season behind this OL, but AB would help that? Plus, you're setting a horrible precedent. Hunter has a big year next year? Demand a trade. Diggs has a big year? Trade. Kendricks has a big year? That's right, trade. Or you're telling people they have the right to demand more money with 3 years left on their contract.

Not worth it at all in my opinion. And I didn't even mention the fact that the Raiders will be guaranteed $10 million to a 34 year old WR (I think that's the number).

10M for a HoF wr who still has plenty of years left in him is pennies.

In regards to some of your other points, it not something I really agree with ordinal m personally.  Brown's main bone that he was picking at was the lack of guaranteed money he had due to him (which was $0). I personally think thats really fair, but thats just me.

And again imho, while OL talent needs to be added, Brown would add more to this team than pretty much any guard or tackle this team could reasonably get.

The contract and money issues is a point I'm not well informed on to weigh in on regarding this conversation.

15 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

10M for a HoF wr who still has plenty of years left in him is pennies.

In regards to some of your other points, it not something I really agree with ordinal m personally.  Brown's main bone that he was picking at was the lack of guaranteed money he had due to him (which was $0). I personally think thats really fair, but thats just me.

And again imho, while OL talent needs to be added, Brown would add more to this team than pretty much any guard or tackle this team could reasonably get.

The contract and money issues is a point I'm not well informed on to weigh in on regarding this conversation.

The thing is that there is no way you give Thielen a rase then. You're not going to devote $50 million to the WR position. I believe Thielen to be a top 10 receiver. So pretty much your trading for a receiver that is a step (not a huge step) above the guy you have and adding drama and locker room issues. That isn't worth it to me. I definitely understand your points though and it is a compelling argument.

If you have Diggs, Thielen and AB, there simply aren’t enough catches to go around and keep them happy. Especially with Cook. It would certainly give defenses nightmares, and could be considered the best trio in NFL history, but eventually one or more of them becomes a malcontent.  Likely Brown. He couldn’t deal with being eclipsed by JJSS. There’s no way he’s happy if he isn’t getting the lion’s share of targets. 

On another note, he’s just an prick. He’s a “me me me me me” guy who eventually will rub his teammates the wrong way. Could you imagine John Randle ever putting up with his “Mr Big Chest” crap? I don’t think guys like Harrison and Everson would take kindly to his antics. 

Tom Pelissero✔@TomPelissero

From the start, NFL executives pegged the compensation for Antonio Brown at roughly a 3rd-round pick. So a 3 and a 5 is fair return for the #Steelers, especially with the added complication of the contract upgrade. 2019 #Raiders will be fascinating.