NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

While it shouldn't surprise me, I still do find it odd that Le'veon Bell skips out on a whole year and $14M to sign a contract for less than he was even offered by the Steelers on a long-term deal a year ago.  Who's his financial advisor again?  Because personally, he should probably have his license revoked.  

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

While it shouldn't surprise me, I still do find it odd that Le'veon Bell skips out on a whole year and $14M to sign a contract for less than he was even offered by the Steelers on a long-term deal a year ago.  Who's his financial advisor again?  Because personally, he should probably have his license revoked.  

If you remember, reports last year were that Bell’s agent had advised him to sign the deal from Pittsburgh. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

If you remember, reports last year were that Bell’s agent had advised him to sign the deal from Pittsburgh. 

It's hard to remember all that kind of stuff, especially since we're not all that close to that team...but, either way, he's an idiot.  Not only did he lose out on guaranteed money, he also lost out on all the investment gains and goes to a higher tax market to boot.  I'd like to see what his grade was in finance class at Michigan State, because if he passed, I think they need to take away the credit.  :D  

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It's hard to remember all that kind of stuff, especially since we're not all that close to that team...but, either way, he's an idiot.  Not only did he lose out on guaranteed money, he also lost out on all the investment gains and goes to a higher tax market to boot.  I'd like to see what his grade was in finance class at Michigan State, because if he passed, I think they need to take away the credit.  :D  

Had he hit free agency last year, he likely beats that offer. He was upset about not having that chance, and he wasn't going to play on the Franchise Tag and risk the long-term security. If he shreds his knee on the Franchise Tag, he would have lost that. 

He could have signed the deal with Pittsburgh and AB'd his way out, perhaps. It did seem that the Player/Team relationship was a bit too broken. 

I think the players need to really look at overhauling the Tag system in the next CBA. 

Just now, wcblack34 said:

I think the players need to really look at overhauling the Tag system in the next CBA. 

They do, but the question is whether they want to prioritize that or the personal conduct system.  Personally, I think the personal conduct policy is far more flawed and detrimental than the tags.  If they want both, then they'll likely have to agree to expand the season.  

2 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I don’t think that will ever happen. 

It is too important of a piece for the owners to give up without a fight, and it effects way too few of the players for the NFLPA to really push the issue. 

29 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Read the ringer today. He doesn't care primarily about the money. Refreshing, actually

5 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Read the ringer today. He doesn't care primarily about the money. Refreshing, actually

I imagine that's fine if you don't care about the money...but, even from an organizational level, I'm not sure going from Pittsburgh to the Jets is a step up.  :D

After decades of football excellence in the Steel City, I wonder if we are witnessing the crumbling of the formerly great empire?  Could the Steelers be the worst team in the AFC North; and could the Browns be the best?

Just now, Virginia Viking said:

After decades of football excellence in the Steel City, I wonder if we are witnessing the crumbling of the formerly great empire?  Could the Steelers be the worst team in the AFC North; and could the Browns be the best?

I'll believe it when I actually see it.  Until then, I will continue to believe that the Browns will continue to be the Browns.  And in reality, no matter how bad the Steelers may perform over the next few years, the Bengals will be worse. 

They kicked off the new league year by trading for wide receiver Odell Beckham and defensive end Olivier Vernon and thier next move may involve running back Duke Johnson. Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com reports that teams have learned that the Browns are “more than willing” to deal Johnson if they receive a desirable offer.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/14/report-browns-more-than-willing-to-trade-duke-johnson/#comments

You need a CB opposite Denzel Ward, right?  We'll give you Trey Waynes, you give us Duke Johnson and a draft pick.  

15 minutes ago, swede700 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/14/report-browns-more-than-willing-to-trade-duke-johnson/#comments

You need a CB opposite Denzel Ward, right?  We'll give you Trey Waynes, you give us Duke Johnson and a draft pick.  

That would have to be a pretty high draft choice.  Johnson alone would not be near the value of Waynes I would think.

Just now, Virginia Viking said:

That would have to be a pretty high draft choice.  Johnson alone would not be near the value of Waynes I would think.

Probably not, but it would save the Vikings money over the long-term and he would provide a solid companion piece to Dalvin...and could contribute on returns, if needed.  I just like the way he plays for being a little guy.