NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not really sure how that's going to pan out or not.  It may help out the defense a bit, but I'm not sure how they are going to adjust for it.  Are they just not going to block them though, or are they going to have to square up and then get called for an illegal block there too, because they'll likely tackle them.  

Edited by swede700

• 2 weeks later...

A person making a $200,000 salary can live a very comfortable lifestyle. Jets outside linebacker Brandon Copeland knows that. So Copeland, who signed a one-year, $1.75 million contract with the Jets this offseason, said he’ll live as if he was only making about 10 to 15 percent of that, or around $200,000 a year. The rest, he’ll save. Copeland said he feels no need to drive the nicest car to the team facility or wear the expensive clothes that many NFL players wear.

“I’m not too flashy; I don’t need a lot,” Copeland told CNBC. “I need to be maximizing every single day I have in the NFL because I don’t know when this NFL platform will be swept right under my feet. The biggest money lesson I’ve learned is basically don’t try to keep up with the Joneses,” he said. “If that’s not something of value to you, then don’t chase it.”

Copeland is a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania and is spending time there this offseason talking to students about the importance of saving money.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/06/jets-brandon-copeland-makes-1-75-million-lives-like-hes-making-200000/

• Like 5

Quarterback Russell Wilson wants a new contract before April 15. If he doesn’t get one, Wilson very well could embark on a year-to-year approach under the franchise tag, with $30.34 million in 2020 becoming $36.4 million in 2021 becoming $52.43 million in 2022.

Appearing recently on NFL Network, former Jaguars and Raiders coach Jack Del Rio offered a fairly bold prediction regarding a third possible option: “Don’t be surprised if before it’s all said and done when we line up for the season next year if Russell Wilson isn’t quarterbacking somewhere else and the Seahawks haven’t gone and gotten a quarterback they think for the future,” Del Rio said.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/09/jack-del-rio-dont-be-surprised-if-theres-a-russell-wilson-trade/

11 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Quarterback Russell Wilson wants a new contract before April 15. If he doesn’t get one, Wilson very well could embark on a year-to-year approach under the franchise tag, with $30.34 million in 2020 becoming $36.4 million in 2021 becoming $52.43 million in 2022.

Appearing recently on NFL Network, former Jaguars and Raiders coach Jack Del Rio offered a fairly bold prediction regarding a third possible option: “Don’t be surprised if before it’s all said and done when we line up for the season next year if Russell Wilson isn’t quarterbacking somewhere else and the Seahawks haven’t gone and gotten a quarterback they think for the future,” Del Rio said.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/09/jack-del-rio-dont-be-surprised-if-theres-a-russell-wilson-trade/

Would it surprise me?  No.  They certainly have enough faith in their organizational setup to unload other "star" players, so why would Wilson be any different?  The QB class is also better and deeper next year than it is this year, so it could kind of be a veiled attempt at getting Wilson to come down on his number.    

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 1:36 PM, skywindO2 said:

Cowboys paying 100M for DeMarcus Lawrence. The Hunter deal is an absolute steal. 

They'll have to improve his contract if he has another season like last year. Lawrence is a good player but Hunter is 3 years younger and every bit as disruptive imo. I guess if he were playing for the Cowboys more people would be singing his praises.

Edited by TENINCH

26 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

They'll have to improve his contract if he has another season like last year. Lawrence is a good player but Hunter and 3 years younger and every bit as disruptive imo. I guess if he were playing for the Cowboys more people would be singing his praises.

If he were even playing for Green Bay, people would be singing his praises.  He's largely invisible in the NFL landscape playing in Minnesota...especially on a defensive line that has Everson Griffen on it.  

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

If he were even playing for Green Bay, people would be singing his praises.  He's largely invisible in the NFL landscape playing in Minnesota...especially on a defensive line that has Everson Griffen on it.  

And Griffen is maybe the third best DL on the team too.

Although he was far from the best player in Double-A baseball last year, Tim Tebow was at least respectable, and looked like a legitimate baseball player. Unfortunately, Tebow has moved up to Triple-A this year, and the early returns are ugly.

The stats for the Syracuse Mets, Tebow’s team, tell the story. He’s last on the team with a .120 batting average, last with a .185 on-base percentage and last with a .200 slugging percentage. He has struck out a team-high 10 times and hasn’t hit a home run.

“He’s still learning how to hit some of this pitching,” Syracuse manager Tony DeFrancesco told ESPN. “I mean, these guys are throwing 97, 98 miles per hour. They’re spinning the baseball. He’s making some adjustments.”

A 31-year-old minor leaguer who’s “still learning” wouldn’t last if he weren’t Tim Tebow, so there’s no doubt that the Mets organization is giving him a longer leash than it would most players. But he’s going to have to learn soon, or else his hopes of making it to the majors will go from slim to none.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/13/tim-tebow-struggling-at-triple-a/

• Like 1

On 4/13/2019 at 1:15 PM, vike daddy said:

Although he was far from the best player in Double-A baseball last year, Tim Tebow was at least respectable, and looked like a legitimate baseball player. Unfortunately, Tebow has moved up to Triple-A this year, and the early returns are ugly.

The stats for the Syracuse Mets, Tebow’s team, tell the story. He’s last on the team with a .120 batting average, last with a .185 on-base percentage and last with a .200 slugging percentage. He has struck out a team-high 10 times and hasn’t hit a home run.

“He’s still learning how to hit some of this pitching,” Syracuse manager Tony DeFrancesco told ESPN. “I mean, these guys are throwing 97, 98 miles per hour. They’re spinning the baseball. He’s making some adjustments.”

A 31-year-old minor leaguer who’s “still learning” wouldn’t last if he weren’t Tim Tebow, so there’s no doubt that the Mets organization is giving him a longer leash than it would most players. But he’s going to have to learn soon, or else his hopes of making it to the majors will go from slim to none.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/13/tim-tebow-struggling-at-triple-a/

How many at bats does he have? It can't be too many

The Raiders have sent their scouts home until after the draft, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Media. Per the report, coach Jon Gruden and G.M. Mike Mayock “don’t know who to trust.”

(Well, for starters, they can’t trust whoever leaked that tidbit to Rapoport.)

It’s a bizarre report, for a variety of reasons. First, it suggests an unprecedented level of paranoia. Second, it reveals that Gruden and Mayock have no functional plan for securing the most sensitive information regarding their final draft board or strategy, without demoralizing the entire scouting staff. Third, acting on the lack of trust creates the impression that the Raiders are more dysfunctional than other teams, even if other teams have the same concerns.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/19/report-raiders-send-scouts-home-until-after-the-draft/