NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

11 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Wow...Washington seems a little high as well. I know they have some talent but #3?

He has clear bias towards the 3-4 defense, considering the only team in his top 5 that runs the 4-3 is the Chargers.  Even so, you'd think he'd recognize that the Packers version of the 3-4 defense is pretty bad right now.  

But, yes, Washington's defense should be nowhere near #3.  It's a decent defense, but it's not top 5.  

Edited by swede700

Chargers safety Derwin James had a screw inserted in his foot as a freshman at Florida State. Doctors determined the screw bent last week and needs to be removed, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN. James’ surgery is set for Thursday in North Carolina, via Schefter, with noted foot surgeon Dr. Robert Anderson repairing James’ foot.

The All-Pro player will need three to four months to recover, and given that timetable, James might not get back this year. The Chargers can place him on injured reserve, leaving open the possibility for a short-term designation and a return late in the year.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/19/derwin-james-to-undergo-foot-surgery-thursday/

15 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Chargers safety Derwin James had a screw inserted in his foot as a freshman at Florida State. Doctors determined the screw bent last week and needs to be removed, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN. James’ surgery is set for Thursday in North Carolina, via Schefter, with noted foot surgeon Dr. Robert Anderson repairing James’ foot.

The All-Pro player will need three to four months to recover, and given that timetable, James might not get back this year. The Chargers can place him on injured reserve, leaving open the possibility for a short-term designation and a return late in the year.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/19/derwin-james-to-undergo-foot-surgery-thursday/

From what little I know, surgical screws are not like the things you get a Lowe's or Home Depot.  They are supposed to be a lot stronger.  I cannot imagine the force that it would take to bend one of those screws.  Wow.

Does anyone else get the sense that the Browns have completely bought into their own hype, and when the regular season starts they’re going to get kicked in the teeth and not know how to handle it? 

I honestly see them losing 4-5 of their first 6 games, and it’s just going to snowball out of control. 

9 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Does anyone else get the sense that the Browns have completely bought into their own hype, and when the regular season starts they’re going to get kicked in the teeth and not know how to handle it? 

I honestly see them losing 4-5 of their first 6 games, and it’s just going to snowball out of control. 

I've thought that since the first time that it was projected that they would win the division.  They aren't ready for the limelight yet.  Of course, I thought the similar thing about the Rams a season ago.  But, at least that team had a lot of veteran players...I'm not sure the Browns have that type of veteran leadership.  I guess we'll wait and see.  I don't necessarily think they're going 5-11 or 6-10...but I don't think they're going 11-5 or 12-4 either.  I think they're a 7-9 team.  

50 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I've thought that since the first time that it was projected that they would win the division.  They aren't ready for the limelight yet.  Of course, I thought the similar thing about the Rams a season ago.  But, at least that team had a lot of veteran players...I'm not sure the Browns have that type of veteran leadership.  I guess we'll wait and see.  I don't necessarily think they're going 5-11 or 6-10...but I don't think they're going 11-5 or 12-4 either.  I think they're a 7-9 team.  

Depends on Mayfield. Is he a future top 5 QB or just another Matthew Stafford type. Cleveland has a lot of talent so I understand the excitement. This is probably the most talented Browns team since the expansion team returned. And it instead of talking about their QB being a bust, for the first time, they are talking about how great the QB could be.

12 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I would be VERY much surprised if Cleveland has a losing record.  I would NOT be surprised if they contend for the AFC North title.

3 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I would be VERY much surprised if Cleveland has a losing record.  I would NOT be surprised if they contend for the AFC North title.

Pittsburgh is declining. I don't expect much from Baltimore with Jackson. The Bengals are in a transition. The division is definitely wide open.

14 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Pittsburgh is declining. I don't expect much from Baltimore with Jackson. The Bengals are in a transition. The division is definitely wide open.

I never count out Baltimore or Pittsburgh.  Never.  Their coaches are far more proven than Kitchens, who probably didn't even deserve the job, but got it by default because Baker likes him.  Let's not forget that 1 season ago, Kitchens was still a position coach (which he had been for 12 seasons, including 1 season with Zimmer in Dallas).    We have no track record on him as an actual head coach, so I've got little faith in him until proven otherwise.  

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

I never count out Baltimore or Pittsburgh.  Never.  Their coaches are far more proven than Kitchens, who probably didn't even deserve the job, but got it by default because Baker likes him.  Let's not forget that 1 season ago, Kitchens was still a position coach (which he had been for 12 seasons, including 1 season with Zimmer in Dallas).    We have no track record on him as an actual head coach, so I've got little faith in him until proven otherwise.  

I've never like Tomlin as a head coach. The talent in Pittsburgh seems to be on a major decline and at Big ben's age, how much longer will he be able to carry the team? 

Baltimore will surely be in the mix, I'm just not confident in Jackson and I don't think he's anywhere near Mayfield at this stage. The talent gap in that division is much smaller than it has been in awhile.

But you're right, coaching could be an ex factor maybe for Baltimore, just not convinced Tomlin's "coaching" will help propel the team, if anything, the culture seems to be eroding under Tomlin over time. Big Ben seems to walk on water while Brown seemed to get away with whatever he wants. The defense has slowly declined since the Cowher days too.