NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

Last year, Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes burst onto the scene with one of the greatest seasons in NFL history, reaching 5,000 yards and 50 touchdowns and winning league MVP in his first year as a starter. Mahomes is actually putting up better numbers through the first three games of this year than he did last year. The season has a long way to go, but if he can play over the next 13 games like he has over these three, he’ll obliterate every single-season passing record.

Last year, Mahomes totaled 5,097 passing yards. This year, with 1,195 yards through three games, he’s on pace to total 6,373 yards.

Last year, Mahomes totaled 50 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. This year, with 10 touchdowns and no interceptions through three games, he’s on pace to total 53 touchdowns and zero interceptions.

Last year, Mahomes completed 66.0 percent of his passes, averaged 8.8 yards per pass, and had a passer rating of 113.8. This year, Mahomes has a 71.9 percent completion rate, an average of 10.5 yards per pass, and a 134.9 passer rating.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/23/patrick-mahomes-on-pace-to-far-surpass-last-seasons-mvp-stats/

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Last year, Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes burst onto the scene with one of the greatest seasons in NFL history, reaching 5,000 yards and 50 touchdowns and winning league MVP in his first year as a starter. Mahomes is actually putting up better numbers through the first three games of this year than he did last year. The season has a long way to go, but if he can play over the next 13 games like he has over these three, he’ll obliterate every single-season passing record.

Last year, Mahomes totaled 5,097 passing yards. This year, with 1,195 yards through three games, he’s on pace to total 6,373 yards.

Last year, Mahomes totaled 50 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. This year, with 10 touchdowns and no interceptions through three games, he’s on pace to total 53 touchdowns and zero interceptions.

Last year, Mahomes completed 66.0 percent of his passes, averaged 8.8 yards per pass, and had a passer rating of 113.8. This year, Mahomes has a 71.9 percent completion rate, an average of 10.5 yards per pass, and a 134.9 passer rating.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/23/patrick-mahomes-on-pace-to-far-surpass-last-seasons-mvp-stats/

And watch the Vikings hold him to 150 yds passing.  xD

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

It just looks so effortless when he does it too.......

I saw this yesterday...thoughts?

The NFL has abandoned a proposal for an 18-game regular season and is now considering expanding the season to 17 games, The Athletic's Daniel Kaplan reported on Thursday.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/26/nfl-drops-18-game-proposal-considering-17-game-season

I've said numerous times that this has always been the likeliest scenario...and is the most workable, especially if they can make the 17th game be a neutral site game.  

If Jay Gruden doesn’t play rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins soon — and he doesn’t seem so inclined — he may never get the chance. According to Les Carpenter of the Washington Post, two sources with knowledge of the situation said that Gruden could be fired if his team loses to the Giants Sunday.

He’s 0-3 this season and 35-47-1 (.428) in his six seasons there. That’s not great, but it’s not that different from the entire Dan Snyder era, as the team is 139-183-1 (.430) since Snyder took over the team in 1999.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/27/report-jay-gruden-could-be-fired-if-he-loses-this-week/

On 9/27/2019 at 2:24 PM, swede700 said:

I saw this yesterday...thoughts?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/26/nfl-drops-18-game-proposal-considering-17-game-season

I've said numerous times that this has always been the likeliest scenario...and is the most workable, especially if they can make the 17th game be a neutral site game.  

I absolutely hate the idea. I love watching football, and I love football season. That should mean that having a longer regular season and having more meaningful games would be a plus, but it's just something I cannot get behind. 

Other than being a money grab for the NFL, I don't really get the purpose. Health, family life, career longevity... so many things would be adjusted for players. Team rosters would have to expand to allow for more injuries and the like. I get that the preseason isn't all that exciting for the average NFL fan, but it's necessary for the teams to evaluate players, and it's necessary for a lot of players in order to find a path onto an active roster. 

Whenever there is change, or a proposition of change, I always ask "Why? What is the benefit? What is currently an issue that needs to be fixed? Is this issue being correctly prioritized in relation to other issues"? The NFL wants to emphasis player safety, and I just don't see how increasing the amount of games does anything other than increase the opportunity of player injury (personally I believe the NFL could care less about player safety, and they care more about saving face with the public and protecting their most valuable "assets" while also being able to monetize the situation by levying fines against players). Maybe the NFL should focus more on pressing issues such as fixing their officiating, player wage disparities based on positions (RB's are an example), allowing the use of things like cannabis for pain treatment, etc. 

23 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

A longer football season will just mean more poorly played football. 

Actually, it would be less, because you'd likely have 1 less preseason game where the scrubs would be playing half or 2/3 of the game.  So, there would be less poorly played football.  And while I can understand and agree with a lot of what @NorthCountryEvo said, in the end, less preseason football is better.  I don't agree with the notion that a lot of the preseason football is necessary for teams to evaluate players.  For evaluation purposes of younger, lesser known players, they only really need the last preseason game where the scrubs play, otherwise most of the evaluation happens in practices, not games...and neither of those would change even with 1 less preseason game.  You're basically just eliminating the current 2nd preseason game, because the traditional game where the starters would play the longest would become the 2nd preseason game instead of the 3rd.  I do agree though that the rosters would need to expand, but that should happen regardless. 

As far as officiating, I think the best way to fix it is to get their hands out of it...the more they try to tinker with the rules of officiating, the harder they make the job for the officials.  The officiating is bad because they've complicated it too much and they can't retain the officials for any length of time because officials can get paid more doing TV than actually officiating.