NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

The Seahawks traded for safety Quandre Diggs 10 days ago. They have yet to see him on the field, and he isn’t likely to make his debut this week as they list Diggs as doubtful for Sunday. Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Diggs’ hamstring injury is worse than what the team believed when it acquired him. Diggs recently had blood drained from his hamstring.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/01/quandre-diggs-has-blood-drained-from-hamstring/

paging Dr. @Krauser...  paging Dr. @Krauser for a consult.... 

Edited by vike daddy

12 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

The Seahawks traded for safety Quandre Diggs 10 days ago. They have yet to see him on the field, and he isn’t likely to make his debut this week as they list Diggs as doubtful for Sunday. Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Diggs’ hamstring injury is worse than what the team believed when it acquired him. Diggs recently had blood drained from his hamstring.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/01/quandre-diggs-has-blood-drained-from-hamstring/

paging Dr. @Krauser...  paging Dr. @Krauser for a consult.... 

In my expert opinion, that don’t sound good.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Negotiators for the NFL and the NFL Players Association have made meaningful progress toward a new labor agreement that is increasingly likely to include a 17-game regular season, according to multiple people familiar with the situation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/11/13/game-nfl-season-is-becoming-more-likely-league-players-make-progress-labor-deal/

It'll be interesting to see what concessions the owners do end up making.  Will we see the end of the 5th year option?  

Edited by swede700

50 minutes ago, swede700 said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/11/13/game-nfl-season-is-becoming-more-likely-league-players-make-progress-labor-deal/

It'll be interesting to see what concessions the owners do end up making.  Will we see the end of the 5th year option?  

I imagine the concessions by the NFL will fall into player discipline, marijuana, and franchise tag considerations.

3 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Don't like alternating between 8 or 9 home games and definitely wouldn't want one international game on the schedule each year either. Becomes an even bigger joke if they let 14 teams into the playoffs.

I’m fine with 17 games if every team has to play in London every year. Then no one loses a home game and the NFL gets its full slate of games there without moving a team. 

If they go to 17 regular season games, they should shrink the preseason down to two games, and have 2 bye weeks for each team.  They could start the season two weeks earlier, and total revenue would be much higher since they would be playing a total of 19 weeks for the regular season.  However, they should increase the medical care for current and former players if they are willing to subject the players to that much physical abuse in a season.  Expanding rosters might help in that regard also.

8 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

If they go to 17 regular season games, they should shrink the preseason down to two games, and have 2 bye weeks for each team.  They could start the season two weeks earlier, and total revenue would be much higher since they would be playing a total of 19 weeks for the regular season.  However, they should increase the medical care for current and former players if they are willing to subject the players to that much physical abuse in a season.  Expanding rosters might help in that regard also.

Not sure expanding rosters will do anything other than forcing more players into the NFL, which I’m sure the NFLPA would support. However, I could support expanding game day rosters. Why even designate inactive players unless they are injured. Let everyone on the roster be active.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Not sure expanding rosters will do anything other than forcing more players into the NFL, which I’m sure the NFLPA would support. However, I could support expanding game day rosters. Why even designate inactive players unless they are injured. Let everyone on the roster be active.

I'd be ok with them expanding game day rosters but I don't think they go away from having an inactive roster on gameday

40 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I’m fine with 17 games if every team has to play in London every year. Then no one loses a home game and the NFL gets its full slate of games there without moving a team. 

That is the only way to create a fair, competitive balance and has always been my proposal.  The 1 extra game will be a neutral site game, either in London, Mexico City, Toronto, or somewhere else, and if the team is scheduled to play in London (or anywhere in Europe, if they want to expand it that far), they'll get a bye week after it.  

And in response to @perrynoid, I believe they can keep 3 preseason games and just give an extra bye week, and that will still accomplish their eventual goal of having the Super Bowl on President's Day weekend.  Either way, I think as part of the proposal, they will have to expand rosters (my guess is to 56) with possibly the reduction in practice squad back down to 7, so the overall roster size won't change, but the players will get more money. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2