NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

15 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Who didn't see that coming?  Outside of being in Philly (both times), Foles has been garbage for every other team.  Apparently, only Philly knows how to use him.  

Jacksonville has that Offensive Coordinator that doesn't know how to use him either apparently.

• Like 1

Lamar Jackson's brilliant sophomore season became historic during Sunday's 24-17 win over the Buffalo Bills.

Jackson became just the second quarterback in NFL history to run for at least 1,000 yards in a single season, joining Michael Vick as the only players to achieve the feat. Vick ran for 1,039 yards during 2006 with the Atlanta Falcons.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001084898/article/lamar-jackson-now-second-qb-with-1000-rushing-yards

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

The Giants may have no choice but to let Eli Manning finish the season. Giants quarterback Daniel Jones is expected to miss two to four weeks with his high ankle sprain, NFL Network is reporting.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/09/daniel-jones-likely-to-miss-2-4-weeks/

At this point they might as well. Nothing to play for and I’d want to make sure my QBOTF is 100% before putting him back out there. 

• Like 2

The salary cap will go up again in 2020. That was the word from league meetings on Tuesday. The NFL has informed teams that they project the salary cap will be in the range of $196.8 million to $201.2 million for next season.

The salary cap for the 2019 season is 188.2 million, which makes it likely that the cap will go up at least $10 million for the seventh consecutive season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/10/nfl-projects-2020-salary-cap-in-range-of-196-8m-201-2m/

• Like 3

9 hours ago, vike daddy said:

The salary cap will go up again in 2020. That was the word from league meetings on Tuesday. The NFL has informed teams that they project the salary cap will be in the range of $196.8 million to $201.2 million for next season.

The salary cap for the 2019 season is 188.2 million, which makes it likely that the cap will go up at least $10 million for the seventh consecutive season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/10/nfl-projects-2020-salary-cap-in-range-of-196-8m-201-2m/

Release Rhodes, restructure Griffen, Joseph, and maybe a couple of others, and we might not be looking too shabby.

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'm already leaning on the side that all 3 of those you mentioned will not even be on the 2020 defense.  

I agree, in the case of Rhodes and Joseph though. Griffen is still playing at a high level and I don’t think the team wants to go into the year leaning on a rookie edge rusher or Weatherly (who is also a free agent). If Zimmer wants to get by with rushing four as often as he does, he needs to keep Griffen around. I’d assume that DT and CB will be the top priorities, with a potential need for a DT in free agency and the draft. There needs to be a compete overhaul at DT in my mind keeping Johnson and Watts as reserves. Not sure Stephen is worth keeping around at his salary but I suppose that if Joseph is release, there may not be much choice.

21 hours ago, swede700 said:

That'll depend upon what Griffen wishes to do...he has the ability to opt out, if he chooses not to, his salary becomes exorbitant, and then they'll have to consider whether to keep him or not.  

His salary is in no way exorbitant. His contract would be somewhere in the 15-20 range for pass rushers. That’s a bargain considering his productivity - on pace for ~10 sacks and 2nd in the NFL in pressures. I think the Vikings would be happy to see him opt in.

41 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

His salary is in no way exorbitant. His contract would be somewhere in the 15-20 range for pass rushers. That’s a bargain considering his productivity - on pace for ~10 sacks and 2nd in the NFL in pressures. I think the Vikings would be happy to see him opt in.

You and I are different definitions of a "bargain."  Contracts are based on expected future productivity, not past performance.  Guys that make $15-$20M are in the 25-29 year old market, not 32 yr olds (which he will be next season).  JJ Watt (who no one will argue is a better DE than Griffen) will only be making $15.5M next season as a 31 yr old.  Clowney will certainly get in that $15-$20M range next season as he is a free agent and only 27 yrs old.  Griffen probably shouldn't get any more than $10M-$12M as far as I'm concerned.  $14M is exorbitant for his career trajectory, as he'll likely fall off fairly quickly, just as Jared Allen and Brian Robison did.  

Edited by swede700

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Contracts are based on expected future productivity

No they’re not. It may be a factor in new contracts, but productive veterans, especially high level production veterans, will always be given contracts that are somewhat based on their reputation and past production.