NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

3 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

My issue with the 17 game season are all of the records. I know that they have expanded the season before, but I just don't like it unless you're going to limit players to 16 games.

I would like to think they would expand rosters; that would allow greater substitution and hopefully cut down on the wear and tear on the players.

4 hours ago, perrynoid said:

I would like to think they would expand rosters; that would allow greater substitution and hopefully cut down on the wear and tear on the players.

My issue with a 17 week season is that it's simply a money grab by the owners at the long-term expense of player health and career length.  7 teams per conference in the playoffs, adds probably another week to the length of the season. How long before the country becomes oversaturated by football?  Poll after poll says that the fans, overwhelmingly, are not interested in a longer season.  In my opinion, football is one of those things when less is more.

I don't follow the NBA or the NHL because the seasons are to darn long.  I only start to follow MLB in September when the pennant races are heating up.  College basketball is easy to follow because it's a shorter season, but I don't follow college football because they start playing at the end of August and stop playing in mid-January.  And all those bowl games...again, it's a money grab by the NCAA and the schools.

44 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

How long before the country becomes oversaturated by football?

This country eats and sleeps football 24/7. 

The NFL never stops, there’s always something going on. 

And there’s no indication that the season is going to be any longer. He 17th game is simply going to replace the 4th preseason game. And wildcard weekend is going to have 3 games per conference instead of 2. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

My issue with the 17 game season are all of the records. I know that they have expanded the season before, but I just don't like it unless you're going to limit players to 16 games.

Records are meant to be broken. Except Smith’s rushing record and Krause’s Int record, i believe those two are untouchable with how the game has changed. 

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

And there’s no indication that the season is going to be any longer. He 17th game is simply going to replace the 4th preseason game. And wildcard weekend is going to have 3 games per conference instead of 2. 

Agreed. The owners wouldn’t push for this if there wasn’t an expectation of increased revenue, which will also benefit the players too. Two extra playoff games and one more meaningful regular season game without really changing the length of the season is a big win. Especially for the players if the cap is allowed to increase as expected and they get some freedoms from testing, bigger rosters, maybe less franchise tag usage, etc.not sure what the players are getting but I’m sure the league has to have made some compromises.

Edited by vikingsrule

22 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Isn’t the NFL already shorter in duration than MLB or NBA seasons. I only follow the NFL but it feels like MLB lasts 6-7 months. Talk about oversaturation, plus they play every other night. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

It's still a blatant money grab...I think there are some warning signs about oversaturation.  Last year attendance at games was up...but the trend over the last several years has been decreased attendance and viewership, except for the Super Bowl.  Viewership among the 18 to 34 demographic has overall declined...which should worry the NFL.  The question then is was 2019 a course correction or a one year anomaly in an overall downward trend.

40 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Isn’t the NFL already shorter in duration than MLB or NBA seasons. I only follow the NFL but it feels like MLB lasts 6-7 months. Talk about oversaturation, plus they play every other night. 

NBA/NHL Training Camp begins late September...NBA Finals/Stanley Cup early June  ---> About 8-9 months

MLB Spring Training begins mid February...World Series late October ----> About 9 months

NFL Training Camp begins late July...Super Bowl early February ----> About 7 months

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

NBA/NHL Training Camp begins late September...NBA Finals/Stanley Cup early June  ---> About 8-9 months

MLB Spring Training begins mid February...World Series late October ----> About 9 months

NFL Training Camp begins late July...Super Bowl early February ----> About 7 months

In my life time I have seen the NFL pre-season/season/playoffs increase by 6 weeks or more.  Players are bigger and faster, more athletic than ever, but are not as attuned to skill development in their early years.  Even with the rule changes to make the game safer, I don't think that the human body is meant to play football for 7 months! 

Obviously, there's probably not going to be a chance that the CBA will be approved and signed this soon.  So, anyone thinking to the contrary is just being foolish.  But, I'm sure there are things there that can be worked with.  I find the addition of 1 offensive lineman to the active squad rather interesting, although I don't think it goes far enough.  And at least it appears that they're going to be paid some money in the offseason as well, which is probably a good idea.  

JJ Watt has already taken to twitter and said that he disapproves of the CBA.  The owners signing it this early is a PR stunt to shine the players in a poor light if there's a work stoppage before this deal can get done.

A tactic that likely works on the casual fan, but not anyone who pays any attention to these things.

30 minutes ago, RpMc said:

JJ Watt has already taken to twitter and said that he disapproves of the CBA.  The owners signing it this early is a PR stunt to shine the players in a poor light if there's a work stoppage before this deal can get done.

A tactic that likely works on the casual fan, but not anyone who pays any attention to these things.

The fact that it's already been made public tells you that it's just the PR game being played at this time.  

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Obviously, there's probably not going to be a chance that the CBA will be approved and signed this soon.  So, anyone thinking to the contrary is just being foolish.  But, I'm sure there are things there that can be worked with.  I find the addition of 1 offensive lineman to the active squad rather interesting, although I don't think it goes far enough.  And at least it appears that they're going to be paid some money in the offseason as well, which is probably a good idea.  

Yes...this is interesting, but doesn't go nearly far enough.  So, as I understand what I've read, there will be two additional players added to a teams active roster, and two more players added to the practice squad.  The other thing I noticed is the reduction of the number of pads and full contact practices that can occur during training camp. I wonder what coaches think about that?

I am all for player safety...much more can and should be done.  I am also for good football. These days good football is harder and harder to come by.