NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

3 minutes ago, RpMc said:

The 2017 NFL Draft is remembered around here for the trading for Sam Bradford, but now it's being remembered around the league for a different reason.  Four out of the top five picks in the draft have had their 5th year option declined; the first time such an occurrence has happened since the 5th year option was instituted. Top ten pick John Ross has also had his 5th year option declined

2. Mitchell Trubisky, Chicago
3. Soloman Thomas, San Francisco
4. Leonard Fournette, Jacksonville
5. Corey Davis, Tennessee
9. John Ross, Cincinnati

Thomas and Ross would be reclamation projects I’d be interested in next year. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Ancients Assemble!

Coach Don Shula has died, at age 90.

My respect and admiration grew for Don Shula the longer he coached.  He could adjust his coaching style and scheme according to the gifts of his players.  While he would probably always been a run first, play good defense, as a preference...he could see what he had with Marino and became the head coach who was okay with playing a wide open style of offense that would be right at home today, but was somewhat novel in the 1980's.  I hated that the Dolphins won their second championship against the Vikings, but Shula had great integrity and coached the right way.  I could respect that.  Their are no coaches with his integrity and level of success in the game today.

50 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Ancients Assemble!

Coach Don Shula has died, at age 90.

I certainly saw the end of his coaching career...not the prime part of his career.  He was still a pretty good coach, even at the tail-end.  He certainly knew how to manage Marino, even though similarly to most of Aaron Rodgers' early career, he could never generate a good running game for Marino...the best RB in the entire Shula-Marino era was Bernie fricken' Parmalee.

The new CBA changes how fifth-year options operate. The fifth-year salary is fully guaranteed when the option is exercised. 

The fifth-year salaries are no longer strictly tied to where a player was drafted (i.e., top 10 or outside of top 10). Performance dictates the option-year salaries. With two or more Pro Bowl selections on the original ballot during the first three seasons of contracts, the fifth-year salary becomes the franchise tender, which is average of the five highest salaries for a player's position, in the fourth year of his contract.

One Pro Bowl selection on the original ballot during the first three seasons of a rookie deal puts the fifth-year salary at the transition tender, which is average of the 10 highest salaries for a player's position, in the fourth year of his contract. 

Participating in 75 percent of either offensive or defensive plays in two of the first three seasons of rookie deals or an average of at least 50 percent playtime in each of a player's first three seasons sets the fifth-year salary at the average of the third through 20th-highest salaries at a player's position.  For first-round picks that don't fall into any of these three categories, the fifth-year salary is the average of the third through 25th-highest salaries at a player's position.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-contract-projections-for-key-first-round-picks-plus-how-the-new-rookie-wage-scale-works/

Hughes will fall under this when his 5th year option is determined next year.

That's a pretty big change, and one that helps the Packers out in the case of Jordan Love sitting for 2-3 years possibly.  It makes his fifth year option likely fall into the last, or no, category.

3 hours ago, RpMc said:

That's a pretty big change, and one that helps the Packers out in the case of Jordan Love sitting for 2-3 years possibly.  It makes his fifth year option likely fall into the last, or no, category.

It is somewhat helpful to them as they wouldn't have to pay him the boosted salary, although, it still means that they'd have to determine whether to pick up that option with no on-field evidence and if successful, they'd still have to pay him big money in 2 years'time, so they still don't really get the huge advantage that Seattle and KC have gotten in the past.  It's a significant calculated risk on their part...we'll just have to see if it pays off for them.  If not, it could cause quite a problem for them for some time.      

Edited by swede700

11 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

With the recent news about Earl Thomas I'm so glad we have Harrsion Smith. One that we don't have to worry about what he does in the offseason and carries himself as a professional all the time.

Yep...that was one of the craziest stories I've read in quite some time.  

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

It is somewhat helpful to them as they wouldn't have to pay him the boosted salary, although, it still means that they'd have to determine whether to pick up that option with no on-field evidence and if successful, they'd still have to pay him big money in 2 years'time, so they still don't really get the huge advantage that Seattle and KC have gotten in the past.  It's a significant calculated risk on their part...we'll just have to see if it pays off for them.  If not, it could cause quite a problem for them for some time.      

A decision that’s much easier given the price tag. 

2 hours ago, TENINCH said:

With the recent news about Earl Thomas I'm so glad we have Harrsion Smith. One that we don't have to worry about what he does in the offseason and carries himself as a professional all the time.

And 48 hours ago every one would have said the same thing about Earl Thomas. We have no idea how these guys behave in their private lives.

And while the story is wild, Thomas did nothing wrong. So, his behavior isn't exactly something to worry about, or that he doesn’t carry himself in a professional manner. 

53 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

And while the story is wild, Thomas did nothing wrong. So, his behavior isn't exactly something to worry about, or that he doesn’t carry himself in a professional manner.

Doing nothing wrong is not the same as doing nothing against the law.