NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

I’d love to see Kaep on the Vikings as a backup. 

Realistically though, Cam should be signed first. He’s got the most recent history. If he’s healthy, he’s still got physical tools that few people at the position possess. 

I think Cam or Kaep (or both) end up with the Patriots if BB has any hesitation about Stidham. 

I know Kraft and BB are friendly with a certain active Twitter user, but BB would well his wife to Rex Ryan if he thought it would win him a football game. 

Edited by wcblack34

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

The better question is who gets signed first, Kaep or Cam?  They'd both come in likely as backups.  I've said that the Vikings should bring in Kaep as a backup if he's willing to take the minimum, because I think he's a better fall-back plan in case Kirk gets injured.  But, I'm pretty sure Zim wouldn't want the circus that comes along with it.

Kaep. If he wants to play football at the price tag teams would likely want to sign him at. No team is going to view him as a starter after 3 seasons off. He’s going to have to show that he can still play. 

I don’t see Cam Newton accepting a backup role, and there’s no reason for him to sign with anyone right now. He’s best suited to wait for someone to get hurt. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I’d love to see Kaep on the Vikings as a backup. 

Realistically though, Cam should be signed first. He’s got the most recent history. If he’s healthy, he’s still got physical tools that few people at the position possess. 

I think Cam or Kaep (or both) end up with the Patriots if BB has any hesitation about Stidham. 

I know Kraft and BB are friendly with a certain active Twitter user, but BB would well his wife to Rex Ryan if he thought it would win him a football game. 

I'd like Newton here. I think Kaepernick is done as a starter and I have a hard time seeing him back in the NFL. He has the minimum talent to be a backup, but nobody likes a loud backup. I think this reasoning could have been applied to Tebow or Manziel as well, even though Kaepernick enjoyed more success than them. I think we are well past the time for all 3 of them to have a chance for a comeback.

But if football was the only factor here, yeah sure why not give him a chance? He really can't be any worse than Mannion.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'd like Newton here. I think Kaepernick is done as a starter and I have a hard time seeing him back in the NFL. He has the minimum talent to be a backup, but nobody likes a loud backup. I think this reasoning could have been applied to Tebow or Manziel as well, even though Kaepernick enjoyed more success than them. I think we are well past the time for all 3 of them to have a chance for a comeback.

But if football was the only factor here, yeah sure why not give him a chance? He really can't be any worse than Mannion.

Cam wouldn’t be a loud backup? Not sure I follow the logic here...

why would Kaepernick be loud?

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 1

“Minimum talent to be a backup” is BS. Mike Glennon is still in the league. So are Matt Barkley and RGIII. Something called  Shawn Mannion is our current backup. Karpernick is only 32 and played on the worst team in the league the last time he played, and he played pretty well. He may not be an all pro, but to suggest that he doesn’t have the talent to be at least a middle of the road backup isn’t looking at it from an on-field perspective. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 10:43 PM, JDBrocks said:

Cam wouldn’t be a loud backup? Not sure I follow the logic here...

why would Kaepernick be loud?

I mean he'd likely be a distraction, thus all the attention he would get would be loud. Loudness by association!

The reason for that goes football.

I don't think this is the case for Cam Newton.

I feel like this conversation will never go anywhere. Kap will be 60 someday and people will still be clamoring for him to play in the NFL. He can do no wrong, right?

From a pure talent perspective, I believe he has the ability to at least make it back in the NFL. I don't know if he'll be any good, but I think he can at least get a chance. Maybe he's cut in the preseason. Maybe he makes as a backup. Maybe he does more than that. If someone like Josh Johnson can do it, I'm sure Kaepernick can as well.

Edited by SteelKing728

On 6/13/2020 at 11:58 AM, wcblack34 said:

“Minimum talent to be a backup” is BS. Mike Glennon is still in the league. So are Matt Barkley and RGIII. Something called  Shawn Mannion is our current backup. Karpernick is only 32 and played on the worst team in the league the last time he played, and he played pretty well. He may not be an all pro, but to suggest that he doesn’t have the talent to be at least a middle of the road backup isn’t looking at it from an on-field perspective. 

I'm suggesting he's good enough to be in the NFL, at least as a backup. Maybe he has the minimum talent (needed) to be a starter but he's been out of the league for 4 years. I have my doubts. This isn't Madden.

@SteelKing728

what you are saying makes no sense. Cam, who has been outspoken and made TONS of unprovoked gaffes with the media with his own words would be less of a distraction in your opinion, than the guy just asking for a shot, and who has been a model teammate by all accounts.

I’ve never heard anyone say that Kaep can do no wrong, nor have I seen anyone suggest that he should play beyond the age of a typical NFL retiree. This is called a straw man argument, and is invalid. I’d be happy to DM with you about valid/invalid argument structures. “This isn’t madden” also fits here. That’s a lazy regurgitation that is tossed around here pretty frequently.

TL;DR: You still haven’t made a valid, logical argument to support your original claim.

• Like 1

Perhaps this article can better explain things than I can. 3 years old but still relevant:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20138130/why-nfl-teams-settle-less-talent-backup-quarterback-2017

Here's one referring to the Vikings:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/04/cfl-quarterback-claims-he-rejected-vikings-offer-because-they-dont-want-a-controversy/

I think Newton fits as less of a distraction because I think at this point in his career, Cam would settle as a backup. I think him still being unsigned would lead one to believe that he's not seen as a viable starter anymore.

Purely pertaining to football, I think both can make an NFL roster. They have what i perceive to be the minimum talent needed to at least be on an NFL roster.

From a personal perspective, I have nothing  against either man.

I imagine teams evaluate players both on a football perspective and a personal perspective. In my opinion, I'd rather have Cam because I think he's a better QB and he would ultimately be less of a distraction than Kaepernick, even if Kaepernick doesn't have full control of those distractions.

• Like 1

Might it be that Cam still believes he’s a starter, and doesn’t want to sign without an opportunity to start or compete as a starter?

You still haven’t addressed the straw man argument. 

Are you suggesting that Cam, who has stated that he wants to be a starter, would accept a backup role, is being dishonest? Kaepernick has stated that he just wants a shot to compete. 

@SteelKing728, you are talking in circles again.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 3:56 PM, JDBrocks said:

Might it be that Cam still believes he’s a starter, and doesn’t want to sign without an opportunity to start or compete as a starter?

You still haven’t addressed the straw man argument. 

Are you suggesting that Cam, who has stated that he wants to be a starter, would accept a backup role, is being dishonest? Kaepernick has stated that he just wants a shot to compete. 

@SteelKing728, you are talking in circles again.

Its possible Newton feels that way. Doesn't every NFL player view themselves as true competition to the starter? I've never heard anyone ever say that they were happy being on the bench and never actually wanted to play. I think Newton could still see himself as an uncontested starter down the road even if he accepted a role where he has to actually compete right now. 

The strawman is wrong. Granted, some of the arguments on social media, not including this site, have been pretty outrageous, but the strawman wasn't needed. I apologize.

Newton could have an over-inflated evaluation of himself, not necessarily being dishonest.

I haven't seen the report that Kaepernick wants to just compete. I recall him rejecting Denver's offer to him a few years ago.

I hope I addressed everything here. I own my opinion and I'm okay if it differs from the majority, just as an fyi.

• Like 1