NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

12 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

LOL. We’re not getting football this year.

I think we fans must be able to wrap our head around the notion that there may well not be a 2020 NFL season.  While part of me really wants to have the Sunday distraction from the virus, another part of me thinks that sporting events, especially those involving contact or competitive closeness should not occur until their is a universal vaccine for the virus.

Just now, Virginia Viking said:

I think we fans must be able to wrap our head around the notion that there may well not be a 2020 NFL season.  While part of me really wants to have the Sunday distraction from the virus, another part of me thinks that sporting events, especially those involving contact or competitive closeness should not occur until their is a universal vaccine for the virus.

I share your sentiment. Add in the fact that owners are now proposing that players assume all of the normal injury risks, COVID risks, and do it at 65% pay come pay day, and I have a hard time believing that players will be taking the field at all.

I don't share that sentiment.  There will be football, come hell or high water...it just won't be normal.  As I said awhile ago, the relationship between the NFL and NFLPA is generally better than in other leagues, so they will come to an agreement...just because that number got out means nothing...the key phrase there is "it's one option on the table", that doesn't mean that it's that way or no way.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

We do not know that there will be a universal vaccine. And even if there is a vaccine what if it only gives temporary immunity, what if that immunity is for only 2-3 months as studies are currently pointing towards? What then?

The other problem with a vaccine is that reality that a significant percentage of the population will not take the vaccine and even more will not keep up on the boosters.

A vaccine is no sure thing. At some point, the world is going to have to go back to "normal". The concept of herd immunity to this disease may turn out to be nothing more than a myth. This may end up being more like the common cold -- also a coronavirus -- that we have to accept people will get occasionally. Unfortunately, like the flu, some percentage of the people that contract the disease will not make it through.

I against waiting on something that is so tenuous. We ought to get back to living our lives. People with increased risk would be wise to take precautionary measures that includes not attending Vikings games. The rest of us will hopefully be allowed to watch competitive sports including those that involve contact and competitive closeness. The Viking swill one day be playing in front of fans. If herd immunity ends up being an unreachable myth, how long should we pause before we decide to stop sitting around waiting for it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

We do not know that there will be a universal vaccine. And even if there is a vaccine what if it only gives temporary immunity, what if that immunity is for only 2-3 months as studies are currently pointing towards? What then?

The other problem with a vaccine is that reality that a significant percentage of the population will not take the vaccine and even more will not keep up on the boosters.

A vaccine is no sure thing. At some point, the world is going to have to go back to "normal". The concept of herd immunity to this disease may turn out to be nothing more than a myth. This may end up being more like the common cold -- also a coronavirus -- that we have to accept people will get occasionally. Unfortunately, like the flu, some percentage of the people that contract the disease will not make it through.

I against waiting on something that is so tenuous. We ought to get back to living our lives. People with increased risk would be wise to take precautionary measures that includes not attending Vikings games. The rest of us will hopefully be allowed to watch competitive sports including those that involve contact and competitive closeness. The Viking swill one day be playing in front of fans. If herd immunity ends up being an unreachable myth, how long should we pause before we decide to stop sitting around waiting for it?

Long enough that people won't die over watching a sportsball game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I don't share that sentiment.  There will be football, come hell or high water...it just won't be normal.  As I said awhile ago, the relationship between the NFL and NFLPA is generally better than in other leagues, so they will come to an agreement...just because that number got out means nothing...the key phrase there is "it's one option on the table", that doesn't mean that it's that way or no way.  

Come again? only the MLB has a worse relationship.

Players aren't going to take a temporary pay cut and assume the added health risks. If that's the position the league is taking with negotiations, even as a starting point, they won't play.

4 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Come again? only the MLB has a worse relationship.

Players aren't going to take a temporary pay cut and assume the added health risks. If that's the position the league is taking with negotiations, even as a starting point, they won't play.

I disagree.  They generally work it out...no one has a worse relationship with their union than baseball...and last I checked, there hasn't been a work stoppage at all in the NFL in nearly 10 years...both the NBA and NHL have had them since then.  They clearly have their sticking points at times with the same issues, but they work it out.  They will work it out here as well.  

Edited by swede700

Just now, swede700 said:

I disagree.  They generally work it out...no one has a worse relationship with their union than baseball...and last I checked, there hasn't been a work stoppage at all in the NFL in nearly 10 years...both the NBA and NHL have had them since then.  

If the definition of "good relationship" is that employees continue working, I'd say just about everyone has a "good relationship".

You'd be hard pressed to find a better working relationship between players and league than the NBA right now. 

10 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

The reality in this situation as well is that there are far too many people who are boneheaded enough to not even bother taking a necessary precaution, as if it's somehow a impediment on their rights. <steps off soapbox>

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

If the definition of "good relationship" is that employees continue working, I'd say just about everyone has a "good relationship".

You'd be hard pressed to find a better working relationship between players and league than the NBA right now. 

That's likely because the NBA owners have really rolled over and given the players most of everything they want (and I don't think it's necessarily all been a positive for the sport).  You're also talking about far less players.  There's only 15 players per team on the roster, not 53.  That alone is going to certainly cause some friction due to the number of players that they have to represent.

Edited by swede700

The MLS tournament is starting today, but Dallas already had to pull out of the tournament because several of their players tested positive. All it will take is for one or two other teams to have players or personnel test positive before that tournament will be scrapped. 

There's far less contact and facetime in futbol than there is in football. Especially on the o-line and d-line. You sometimes have 15-20 seconds of audibles before plays were the linemen are all breathing on each other. Then they violently crash into each other for another couple of seconds. I'd think the NFL is going to be far more susceptible to COVID than other sports, and that's likely going to lead to several teams having major outbreaks. 

If the NFL happens, I don't think we're likely to get a full season, and if we do, it won't be quality football at all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there will never be a time that people won't die over watching the sportsball game given the nature of the microbrial world. People have been spreading influenza that kills people for years while watching sportsball games. Given that reality, are you in favor of sportsball never again being allowed to have fans watch live? Sportsball never again being allowed to happen since players can spread deadly diseases?

Welcome to the world of eSports, I guess?

Do the rest of us in the world have to adhere to the desire of the most cautious? Will we still have freedom at all? My town mandates mask wearing in all publicly available buildings now. Given the 120 active cases in the county now that seems a bit of an overreaction.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there will never be a time that people won't die over watching the sportsball game given the nature of the microbrial world. People have been spreading influenza that kills people for years while watching sportsball games. Given that reality, are you in favor of sportsball never again being allowed to have fans watch live? Sportsball never again being allowed to happen since players can spread deadly diseases?

Welcome to the world of eSports, I guess?

Do the rest of us in the world have to adhere to the desire of the most cautious? Will we still have freedom at all? My town mandates mask wearing in all publicly available buildings now. Given the 120 active cases in the county now that seems a bit of an overreaction.

False equivalences, red herrings, and straw men - well done.

Also, the mandate is not an overreaction - it's part of the reason that there are "only" 120 cases.

Edited by JDBrocks

Just now, Cearbhall said:

You are going to have to explain this further. Which equivalences are false? What did I say that was a red herring? A straw man?

False equivalence - comparing the spread of influenza to COVID

Red Herring - eSports as the replacement of live athletic competition

Straw man - Masks as threat to "freedom"

• Like 1