NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

13 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Potential connection with Rick Dennison. 

The team seems poised to give Samia the first crack at RG, but if the team is looking for a more established starter with the complete lack of practice time this offseason, Winters may be an interesting option. 

He played only nine games last season before landing on injured reserve after aggravating a dislocated shoulder against the Giants. He also ended the 2014, ’16 and ’17 seasons on injured reserve.

Winters played seven seasons in New York after the Jets made him a third-round choice in 2013. He appeared in 89 games, with 79 starts.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/02/jets-release-brian-winters/

I wonder about the timing of the releases happening this week. You don’t often see vets released at the beginning of training camp, nor in August (on a normal schedule where preseason would be starting this week).

I guess some of them are Bryant McKinnie style conditioning problems, coming back from the long quarantine layoff. With the short camp and no preseason, anyone who’s significantly deconditioned won’t have time to get back in shape for the season. 

2 hours ago, Krauser said:

I wonder about the timing of the releases happening this week. You don’t often see vets released at the beginning of training camp, nor in August (on a normal schedule where preseason would be starting this week).

I guess some of them are Bryant McKinnie style conditioning problems, coming back from the long quarantine layoff. With the short camp and no preseason, anyone who’s significantly deconditioned won’t have time to get back in shape for the season. 

Could teams be cutting vets in order to create a large chunk of cap space to roll into 2021?

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Could teams be cutting vets in order to create a large chunk of cap space to roll into 2021?

Probably makes sense for some cases (Winters had a $6.5M cap hit with no dead money) — gives them a chance to latch on elsewhere.

The PJ Hall release was weird, heading into his 3rd year. Little or no cap savings cutting a 2nd round pick. 

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

The Jets released Quincy Enunwa

I was hoping that If Jefferson can't go for a while due to COVID, we could go after Enunwa, but his career is likely over.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jets-cut-quincy-enunwa-two-years-into-36m-deal-receivers-nfl-career-could-be-over/amp/

IMO, Enunwa was just a warm body who capitalized on 1 decent year.  He was never anything special.  He just happened to be on a team that had no other WR talent period and was confused by his extension from the beginning, considering it came off a mediocre season and suffering another injury after missing the entire season before with an injury.  It's another example of why the Jets are the Jets.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would absolutely make a move for him, get him in here as the third safety and learning the scheme; if Harris is deemed too expensive for next year, or too old to sign long term, you've got Harrison under control for another year (2021).

Both of our safeties are getting older and expensive.  Both can still absolutely play, but having a potential replacement in the fold could be beneficial.  I loved him his draft year.