NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

But, aren't they going to have to cut or restructure a number of players just to even carry that franchise tag number?  Granted, the S franchise numbers are lower than a lot of other positions, but it's still an odd tactic to take for a team whose over the cap more than any other...and by a significant number. 

Players that are franchise or transition tagged don’t immediately count against the cap. They are still “technically” free agents. 

EDIT: nvm - I read my salary cap article wrong. 

Edited by RpMc

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

That puts the team roughly $2.5M over the cap at this moment. 

The NFLPA puts the Vikings top 51 at $195M currently. If their cap is $187M they would be more than $2.5M over.

https://nflpa.com/reports/public-salary-cap-report

I don't know where the other numbers are coming from to assess credibility of that source, but I also don't know how accurate the NFLPA is. The page says they generate the report daily. In the end of the day, the numbers that matter are what the NFLPA and NFL agree on. If they don't agree I imagine there is an arbitration procedure for them to work through. The NFLPAs perspective is relevant but who knows if the public report is some form of posturing rather than what they actually believe.

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

The NFLPA puts the Vikings top 51 at $195M currently. If their cap is $187M they would be more than $2.5M over.

https://nflpa.com/reports/public-salary-cap-report

I don't know where the other numbers are coming from to assess credibility of that source, but I also don't know how accurate the NFLPA is. The page says they generate the report daily. In the end of the day, the numbers that matter are what the NFLPA and NFL agree on. If they don't agree I imagine there is an arbitration procedure for them to work through. The NFLPAs perspective is relevant but who knows if the public report is some form of posturing rather than what they actually believe.

Based on your link crediting the Vikings with 57 contracts, the NFLPA has not calculated in the release of Dan Bailey. 

Also, what the NFLPA’s site is calling team cap, seems to refer to the teams cap liabilities, which I believe is all of their contracts not just the top 51. Their top 51 cap is the $190.4M that the NFLPA’s site is calling cap room. Subtract the $1.1M they get in cap relief from cutting Bailey, and that number drops to $189.3M. Which puts the Vikings roughly $2.5M over their allotted $187M.

Edited by SemperFeist

On March 14, 2006, the Saints added a free-agent quarterback whom the Dolphins had decided not to sign. Fifteen years later, Drew Brees has become one of the best and most productive quarterbacks in league history.

Jeff Duncan of TheAthletic.com notes the anniversary of Brees’ initial signing with the Saints. Duncan also suggests that it would be “fitting” and “very much on brand” for Brees to announce his retirement today.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/14/drew-brees-signed-with-the-saints-15-years-ago-today-is-this-the-day-he-retires/

just think if we had been able to sign him...

i wrote an alternate universe piece in 2009 where we had signed Brees after he left the Chargers and we had just won the NFCCG and were headed to the Super Bowl. we beat the Saints, qb'd by... the recently unretired Brett Favre. ha!

Edited by vike daddy

This is pertinent because of the new TV deals announced today...

I just brainstormed on the 17th game that if they can't go the international route this year because of the pandemic that they should still make it a neutral site game but in an NFL stadium other than either of the teams that are participating in it.  For example if, as suspected, the Vikings will be playing the Chargers in the 17th game, then that game should be held in Dallas (since it wouldn't be fair for it to be played in KC or LV since the Chargers already play there) during a time Dallas is on the road.  It's just a thought...and it'd be interesting...it'd remind me of the time that the Vikings played the Giants in Detroit after the roof collapse.

Edited by swede700