NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

7 hours ago, swede700 said:

I always think that argument is hogwash, considering it's the same number of games overall.  They've never played over 20 games in a season (when the season was 14, there were 6 preseason games).  I would have preferred them doing away with the Thursday games, since that creates a substantial higher risk of injury...replacing a preseason game with a regular season game does not, at least as far as I'm concerned.  Higher maybe (because they'll be playing longer than they would have in the preseason version of the game), but not substantially higher. 

Don't you think teams will still want the starters playing in 3 games or are they going to have to get all of their reps in 2? I have a hard time comparing a17th regular season game to a preseason game that plays mostly players trying to make the team. 

On the other hand,  I could see more players being rested at the end of the season if the playoffs get wrapped up sooner

I'm personally not a fan of the 17th game because it's been over 40 years since there's been a change. Records have come to be based on 16 game seasons, and things like 5000 yards passing or 2000 yards rushing will mean less and less. I grew up in the 80's and 90's where numbers meant something, and I feel this cheapens it a bit. Sure, 5000 yards passing is becoming quite common because of the changes to the game, but it's going to take a while to get used to seeing a guy get 23 sacks in 17 games and be hailed as the record holder. 

That said, another game of meaningful football to watch isn't a bad thing either. 

3 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I'm personally not a fan of the 17th game because it's been over 40 years since there's been a change. Records have come to be based on 16 game seasons, and things like 5000 yards passing or 2000 yards rushing will mean less and less. I grew up in the 80's and 90's where numbers meant something, and I feel this cheapens it a bit. Sure, 5000 yards passing is becoming quite common because of the changes to the game, but it's going to take a while to get used to seeing a guy get 23 sacks in 17 games and be hailed as the record holder. 

That said, another game of meaningful football to watch isn't a bad thing either. 

I’m not complaining over one more week of real football hopefully less preseason. I don’t think stats are a reason to not change the number of games If there’s compelling business reasons, and there are. Records are meant to be broken, the stats just need to be looked at in context and eras.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I'm personally not a fan of the 17th game because it's been over 40 years since there's been a change. Records have come to be based on 16 game seasons, and things like 5000 yards passing or 2000 yards rushing will mean less and less. 

when Fran Tarkenton retired from the NFL, he held the record for most passing yardage. it held for 15 years until broken by Marino, and then that held for another 15 years until broken by Favre. Then Manning.

for more than 3/4 of Tark's career he played 14 game seasons, but the other guys all played in 16 game seasons.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Don't you think teams will still want the starters playing in 3 games or are they going to have to get all of their reps in 2? I have a hard time comparing a17th regular season game to a preseason game that plays mostly players trying to make the team. 

On the other hand,  I could see more players being rested at the end of the season if the playoffs get wrapped up sooner

They're going to get their reps in 2.  Basically, they're replacing the 2nd preseason game (where they generally play a full quarter) with a regular season game.  The first game will be the 1-2 drives before being pulled, the 2nd game will be where they play a half, and then they'll sit out the 3rd game.    

Edited by swede700

23 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

when Fran Tarkenton retired from the NFL, he held the record for most passing yardage. it held for 15 years until broken by Marino, and then that held for another 15 years until broken by Favre. Then Manning.

for more than 3/4 of Tark's career he played 14 game seasons, but the other guys all played in 16 game seasons.

The only reason people seem to care is because it's basically been 16 game seasons their entire lifetime, so that's all they know.  The game has changed stylistically so much even during that entire time that the records that have been set are rather meaningless anyway.  It's not like football records roll off people's tongues anyway, like 61, 56, and 4,256.  Hell, the only number that I even remember from football is 2,105...and that's likely the only meaningful record that will probably get broken anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

i remember when OJ was the first rb to gain 2000 yards in a season.

14 game season.

2,003 yards over 14 games.  Still, the most remarkable single season performance ever.  Too bad it was completed by a jerk.

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

2,003 yards over 14 games.  Still, the most remarkable single season performance ever.  Too bad it was completed by a jerk.

Well back then, from what I understand, he was just a jerk...now, he's a little bit more than that.  ;)

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

Well back then, from what I understand, he was just a jerk...now, he's a little bit more than that.  ;)

Yeah... I was trying to be polite, and "jerk" was the most polite thing I could say about OJ!!!