NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

14 hours ago, babababa said:

Would Matt Stafford be the #1 all time loser? How that guy has been a starting quarterback since 2009 is beyond me.

Probably because they've never put a competent team around him. Calvin Johnson couldn't beat another team alone. 

When is the last time Detroit had a Top 1/3 defense?

4 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Probably because they've never put a competent team around him. Calvin Johnson couldn't beat another team alone. 

When is the last time Detroit had a Top 1/3 defense?

Every year I've heard the excuses. The buck never stops with Stafford. It's as if he's been a rookie his whole career.

3 hours ago, babababa said:

Every year I've heard the excuses. The buck never stops with Stafford. It's as if he's been a rookie his whole career.

I agree babababa - QB is probs about 1/3 of the equation when it comes to winning football games. Matt Stafford seems to have shrugged off the blame for the Lions being bad/average his whole career.

Kirk last year with a bad O-line and atrocious defense still got us to one game away from the playoffs.

3 hours ago, viking said:

I agree babababa - QB is probs about 1/3 of the equation when it comes to winning football games. Matt Stafford seems to have shrugged off the blame for the Lions being bad/average his whole career.

Kirk last year with a bad O-line and atrocious defense still got us to one game away from the playoffs.

But we also had a running game, something the Lions haven’t exactly had figured out. Along with 2 WR’s that played great. 

I do like Stafford and think he’s a very good QB. But he still needs more than just a Calvin Johnson around him. Lately all he’s had is Marvin Jones and a slightly overrated Golladay. 

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

But we also had a running game, something the Lions haven’t exactly had figured out. Along with 2 WR’s that played great. 

I do like Stafford and think he’s a very good QB. But he still needs more than just a Calvin Johnson around him. Lately all he’s had is Marvin Jones and a slightly overrated Golladay. 

On Matt Staffords supporting cast the Lions O-line was in the 16th-8th range I'd say as well as having TJ Hockenson & Deandre Swift to go along with Golladay + Marvin Jones.

I don't think any NFL QB could complain about that supporting cast. I don't see Stafford as anything more than an average QB - Lions front office masterfully dumped him off to the Rams.

17 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

And took on ***checks notes*** Jared Goff in return. 

I like the draft picks they got, but taking on Goff and his contract is hardly a master stroke. 

Taking on Goff is a  master stroke - Gives the lions their 2021 dumpster fire scape goat while they build their roster. They know they aren't competing until 22/23 so take the first round picks and build the team for whichever rookie QB they take in the 2022 draft

16 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Absolutely. I doubt Long signs with a team to be a backup. 

At this stage of his career and his injury history, I don’t think it’s a sure thing. I’m sure he has to have some understanding of that as well. Is he better than Remmers? He’s absolutely in the mix to compete but I think that’s all that can be said at this point.