NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

Harbaugh: “There was a tugging at me that I was once that close to a Super Bowl and I didn’t get it. Some NFL jobs came open. I was contacted by the Vikings. For better or for worse, it was something I wanted to explore. I went in thinking, ‘I’m gonna have 100 percent conviction on this, and if they have 100 percent conviction on this, then it’s something I’m gonna do.”

But when the Vikings didn’t offer him the job, Harbaugh says he let Michigan know he won’t be looking for NFL jobs again.

“I called Warde [Manuel, the Michigan athletic director] and I asked him if he wanted me to be the head coach. And he said, ‘Yes, 100 percent.’ And I said, OK then. That’s what I want to do.’ And I told him, ‘Warde, this will not be a reoccurring theme every year. This was a one-time thing.”

“Sure, the Super Bowl is the greatest prize in our sport. But winning a national championship, that’s pretty darn great. Let’s do that. There was a pull to the NFL because I got that close to the Super Bowl, but this was the time [to try and return.] And this is the last time. Now let’s go chase college football’s greatest prize.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/04/jim-harbaugh-vikings-interview-was-a-one-time-thing-im-done-chasing-nfl-jobs/

i see this as Harbaugh having a mid life career crisis. and the hot young girl he was pursuing turned him down.

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Harbaugh: “There was a tugging at me that I was once that close to a Super Bowl and I didn’t get it. Some NFL jobs came open. I was contacted by the Vikings. For better or for worse, it was something I wanted to explore. I went in thinking, ‘I’m gonna have 100 percent conviction on this, and if they have 100 percent conviction on this, then it’s something I’m gonna do.”

But when the Vikings didn’t offer him the job, Harbaugh says he let Michigan know he won’t be looking for NFL jobs again.

“I called Warde [Manuel, the Michigan athletic director] and I asked him if he wanted me to be the head coach. And he said, ‘Yes, 100 percent.’ And I said, OK then. That’s what I want to do.’ And I told him, ‘Warde, this will not be a reoccurring theme every year. This was a one-time thing.”

“Sure, the Super Bowl is the greatest prize in our sport. But winning a national championship, that’s pretty darn great. Let’s do that. There was a pull to the NFL because I got that close to the Super Bowl, but this was the time [to try and return.] And this is the last time. Now let’s go chase college football’s greatest prize.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/04/jim-harbaugh-vikings-interview-was-a-one-time-thing-im-done-chasing-nfl-jobs/

i see this as Harbaugh having a mid life career crisis. and the hot young girl he was pursuing turned him down.

How’d that turn out for Zimmer. Guess he got the young hot girl in the end but he can’t coach defense anymore. 

10 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

The Vikings get to be the hot young girl in this scenario? 

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Just think Pederson is being underrated significantly.

Doug Pederson is a good coach. I really don’t think anyone would dispute that. But it’s very obvious from the candidate who withdrew from consideration that the Jaguars settled for a candidate who was willing to work with a GM who no one else wanted to work with. 

• Like 2

Just now, SemperFeist said:

Doug Pederson is a good coach. I really don’t think anyone would dispute that. But it’s very obvious from the candidate who withdrew from consideration that the Jaguars settled for a candidate who was willing to work with a GM who no one else wanted to work with. 

The dynamic is too strange, especially with Spielman involved.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The dynamic is too strange, especially with Spielman involved.

It all comes down to ego. 

It’s the same mistake the Giants owner made last year. They knew that the people they hired were wrong after the first year, but they didn’t want to admit the failure so they let everyone return for another year. They almost let the mistake continue again, but common sense prevailed and now they look to be on the right path. 

3 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Guess will see. Just think Pederson is being underrated significantly. Maybe I’m guilty of doing the same to Leftwich, just super skeptical because there was hardly chatter of him until Brady showed up.

I have to agree with wc here...the worst thing for an unstable organization is to hire a guy with a history of causing instability.