NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

Britt Reid, the former Chiefs assistant and son of Chiefs head coach Andy Reid, was sentenced to three years in prison today for driving while intoxicated and seriously injuring Ariel Young, a 5-year-old girl.

Reid pleaded guilty as part of a deal in which prosecutors would agree to seek no more than four years in prison. The girl’s family released a statement saying they were “outraged” by the deal Reid got.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/11/01/britt-reid-sentenced-to-three-years-in-prison/

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

I can just imagine what @Captain Relax is thinking right now.  

I have hated the Red Commies ever since I became a football fan. So short of the team diabanding I won't be satisfied.  The only time I pull for them is when they play Dallas or Green Bay. 

All that said, I can appreciate the hope their fans are feeling today. Selling the team is the best thing for the franchise. Snyder, in the minds of fans, is both evil and incompetence personified. No one, and I mean no one, has come to his defense. 

24 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

I have hated the Red Commies ever since I became a football fan. So short of the team diabanding I won't be satisfied.  The only time I pull for them is when they play Dallas or Green Bay. 

All that said, I can appreciate the hope their fans are feeling today. Selling the team is the best thing for the franchise. Snyder, in the minds of fans, is both evil and incompetence personified. No one, and I mean no one, has come to his defense. 

I imagine they long for the days of Jack Kent Cooke.

• Like 1

Seventy-one games have been decided by one score. That's an NFL record through eight games that Vikings coach Kevin O'Connell referred to on Monday, a day after his team won its fifth straight one-score game, 34-26 over Arizona.

O'Connell: "We're still looking for ultimate consistency across the board. You're seeing that each and every game in this league is going to come down to a few plays here and there that really are the difference between it being those one-score games or maybe having the chance to put away some of our opponents earlier."

Last season, 14 of 17 Vikings games ended with a one-score margin, including eight losses. Minnesota is currently 5-0 in that same category this year.

https://www.vikings.com/news/tj-hockenson-tight-end-trade-report-cards?fbclid=IwAR0wHB-E_SS1vdw7pRM_BZK_ENsvW1Y9_420oIjJ59KgEW-afHlvJT56JwI

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

oof, tough to see that.

Guy was a phenomenal pure athlete, played safety in college. John Madden said he could throw a football goaline to goaline.

Probably the last time a punter was taken in the 1st round, likely to never occur again.  People thought Al Davis was insane.  On hindsight, it's hard to argue he was wrong to use the pick on Guy.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

Probably the last time a punter was taken in the 1st round, likely to never occur again.  People thought Al Davis was insane.  On hindsight, it's hard to argue he was wrong to use the pick on Guy.

Al Davis - Only "guy" to ever draft 1st round punter and a 1st round kicker.

Ray Guy was a phenomenal athlete out of Thomson, Georgia. He played quarterback, safety, linebacker and of course punter in high school. He led Thomson High School to back-to-back state titles in Georgia, averaging a whopping 49.7 yards per punt as a senior. He once scored 39 points in a basketball game the day after leading his high school football team to a state title with no practice. In baseball, he once pitched a 15 inning shutout in a state semifinal game.

Guy continued to dominate at the University of Southern Mississippi and earned All American honors as a defensive back. He averaged 44.7 yards per punt as a senior--best in the nation. He kicked a 61-yard field goal during a snowstorm in a game at Utah, and intercepted eight passes from his safety position.

In 1973, Guy became the first and only punter to be selected in first round of the NFL Draft. Many thought Raiders owner Al Davis was crazy for taking a punter that high in the draft. Not only did Guy live up to his lofty draft status, he exceeded it. He proved to be a huge weapon for the Raiders, flipping the field position with his powerful leg. Not only could Guy punt for distance, he was also remarkably accurate with his "coffin corner" punts that are often a lost art in today's game. He played his entire 14 year NFL career with the Raiders from 1973 to 1986, earning 7 trips to the Pro Bowl. He was also named First Team All Pro six times. Guy was a member of 3 Super Bowl championship teams with the Raiders. He is the only pure punter currently enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Ray Guy was 72.

GhostsoftheOrangeBowl.com

• Like 1