NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

I never like facing teams recently after they fire the coach. It seems like the teams get a short term boost

Well, it's a month and a half away, and just after their bye.  We may have already clinched the division and they may have already checked out.

Kafka actually wouldn't surprise me in the least, since he's also a Chiefs' alum.  But, I think it'd be hard to hire another guy who may not be all that different from the one you just fired.   I'd put my money on a guy who's not even on that list...Dave Toub.  He may be the same age as Reich, but Ballard spent a lot of time with him in both Chicago and Kansas City.  

29 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I do wonder how that will go with the other coaches that have been working all year and for passed over

Both of the candidates that should really have been the primary choice are certainly veteran coaches and have been in crappy positions before (Jacksonville and Chicago/Denver/Carolina), so they know the gig and should be mature enough to handle it.  

Either way, I'd have to think Saturday is probably giving them a little rope to do what they know they need to do defensively (since they're both defensive guys) and he's addressing the offense more closely. 

10 new coaches were hired last year. Two have already been fired this year. How many new coaches will we see next year, and where?

Right now I think we’ll see 5 changes going into next year. Indianapolis and Carolina are already guaranteed, and I think Dallas, Houston, and Denver will join them. 

If the Cowboys falter down the stretch and are an early exit in the playoffs I think McCarthy is out. Jerry Jones seems to be getting impatient, again, and I think the prospect of bringing in Sean Payton will be too tempting. 

Houston swung and missed at multiple candidates over the past two years, primarily because of ownerships weird attachment to Jack Easterby. But Easterby is now gone, and the Texans will likely have the #1 pick and a chance to truly reshape themselves. I think it would be smart to bring in a new coach for the new start, and going after a legacy player like DeMeco Ryans makes too much sense. 

Denver had mile high hopes with all of their additions last year, but it has been nothing short of a disaster with Hackett. With new ownership I don’t see Hackett getting a second year, and I’m not sure George Paton will survive either. But if Paton survives, I wouldn’t be shocked to see Denver go after who they should have hired last year, Dan Quinn. 

The Colts shocked everyone by hiring Jeff Saturday, and while there’s plenty to criticize about the hire, Jim Irsay is just crazy enough to make it permanent. Irsay reportedly wants to reaffirm the Colts culture from the Peyton Manning days, and it’s hard to argue that Jeff Saturday won’t do that. If Saturday can get that locker room behind him and start creating that aforementioned culture, I think he’s going to get a shot. 

It will be interesting to see if the Panther end up firing their GM, but on the assumption that they keep Fitterer, I think they will go to a more traditional route of handing control to the GM. If Fitterer is the GM, don’t be surprised if he tries to instill a culture similar to where he came from in Seattle, and with their 1st pick likely being a new “franchise QB”, I’d take a guess that they’ll follow the trend of bringing in a young offensive mind. And I think Shane Waldron could be that guy. 

Edited by SemperFeist