NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

yes, and that was the bathroom incident? 

i do remember many calling for his immediate dismaissal from the team, and called him a predator. others wanted more details to forumlate an opinion.

That's apparently the society we live in where everyone can jump to conclusions on the basis of just an accusation without any actual evidence to support it.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That's apparently the society we live in where everyone can jump to conclusions on the basis of just an accusation without any actual evidence to support it.  

well, those who jumped quickly were doing so because of a strong general support of the victim in these situations, which is to be applauded and encouraged. but not every person fits the mold of a predator in these situations either.

it's good for everyone that the truth came out the way it did.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

well, those who jumped quickly were doing so because of a strong general support of the victim in these situations, which is to be applauded and encouraged. but not every person fits the mold of a predator in these situations either.

You certainly lean towards supporting the victim, but you can't just come out and vilify the accused as if they should be executed until you have supporting evidence.  That's not fair to anyone.     

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

If I remember right,  the victim isn't even the one that made the accusation

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

You certainly lean towards supporting the victim, but you can't just come out and vilify the accused as if they should be executed until you have supporting evidence.  That's not fair to anyone.     

I certainly agree.  I do wonder, however, if there shouldn't be a policy that suspends a player with pay during a criminal investigation so that player can retain council, and work with his attorney to cooperate with the investigation, while protecting his rights.  I would allow them to work out, receive treatment for injuries, and attend team meetings and meetings with coaching staff and front office.  The team could not cut or trade the player until the player is indicted and heading to court.

Players and other notable persons can be targets of all sorts of accusations by people with a grudge or are looking for a payday.  Players also deserve to play and be a full participant in team activities with no legal distractions.

I can see the other side as well.  Being in a structured environment, such as playing professional football, might be something a player needs to focus on instead of their legal troubles.

I guess I would want to protect the player and the team from the distractions that come from potential criminal charges.  There are probably better ideas than mine.

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

With what money? The Saints are $53M over the projected cap as it is. 

They were supposed to be severely over the cap this year and signed some expensive free agents. The salary cap is a theory, more than a practical hindrance. If you’re willing to kick the fan down the road far enough (where increases in the cap will soften the blow), it can be done. 

• Like 2