NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

The 2022 Broncos season has been a series of lows and it may have hit rock bottom on Sunday in Los Angeles.

An underpowered Rams team throttled the Broncos 51-14 with Russell Wilson throwing three interceptions to continue the worst season of his professional career. With two games left, there’s no real way to end things on a positive note, but Wilson vowed to keep working as hard as it takes to push things in a better direction.

Change is needed, but the Broncos sacrificed a lot of draft capital and cap space by trading for Wilson and giving him an extension. That may mean the most significant moves to push the Broncos in a different direction involve head coach Nathaniel Hackett and/or General Manager George Paton.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/26/russell-wilson-all-i-know-how-to-do-is-keep-fighting/

• Like 1

In his four games back as quarterback of the Browns, after 100 weeks away from live football, Deshaun Watson has led three touchdown drives on 43 offensive possessions.

Two passing, one rushing. Average offensive yards per game for the Browns with Watson: 295.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/26/steelers-dak-prescott-peter-king-fmia-week-16/

@ET80

• Like 3

Rich Simmons:Franco's death got me thinking about the last time I saw him play—Oct. 28, 1979, Dallas at Pittsburgh. It was not a great game as I recall but Franco had both Steelers scores in a 14-3 win. I have the SI cover on that game framed in my office and got to wondering about how many Hall of Famers were on the field that day. By my count:

Steelers—Mel Blount, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Greene, Jack Ham, Franco, Jack Lambert, Donnie Shell, John Stallworth, Lynn Swann, Mike Webster.

Cowboys—Cliff Harris, Drew Pearson, Jackie Smith, Mel Renfro, Randy White, Rayfield Wright, Roger Staubach, Tony Dorsett.

Plus both coaches, Chuck Noll and Tom Landry, and Art Rooney and Tex Schramm. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/26/steelers-dak-prescott-peter-king-fmia-week-16/

• Like 1

The average of all the TV deals will pay the league about $13.2 billion per year. That means each team would be due an average of $412 million per year in TV fees. That’s up from $250 million per team per year under the old TV deals.

Players get 48.5 percent of most team revenue, including TV. So in the average season from 2023 to 2029, the TV rights deals will raise the salary cap $78 million per team.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

In his four games back as quarterback of the Browns, after 100 weeks away from live football, Deshaun Watson has led three touchdown drives on 43 offensive possessions.

Two passing, one rushing. Average offensive yards per game for the Browns with Watson: 295.

@ET80

I hope that continues. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

The average of all the TV deals will pay the league about $13.2 billion per year. That means each team would be due an average of $412 million per year in TV fees. That’s up from $250 million per team per year under the old TV deals.

Players get 48.5 percent of most team revenue, including TV. So in the average season from 2023 to 2029, the TV rights deals will raise the salary cap $78 million per team.

And every year people come in and say the golden goose will stop giving the NFL more and more money. 

It's also why teams stretch the cap. They know it's going up. 

• Like 1

How many jobs are people predicting to be open?

Carolina, Indianapolis, and Denver are already open. Who’s going to join them? 

My predictions;

Carolina - It’s technically open, although I don’t know how ownership could go with someone other than Steve Wilks after how the team has responded to him. But, it’s the NFL, and they find a way to do stupid things. 

Indianapolis - Irsay is crazy enough to keep Jeff Saturday. He shouldn’t, but Irsay seems focused on recreating the same culture that the team had under Dungy and Manning. I think Saturday will keep the job and be allowed to building his own coaching staff. 

Denver - Denver made the mistake last year of following the trend and hiring an offensive coach, when a better coach and candidate seemed destined for the job. Many in the Denver media thought the job was Dan Quinn’s to lose last year. I predict the Broncos will correct their mistake and hire Dan Quinn to be their next head coach. 

Houston - It’s never a good look for an organization to fire back to back head coaches after just one year. But Lovie Smith seemed like a last resort option last year after the Texans couldn’t land any of the top coaching candidates, reportedly due to the over involvement of Jack Easterby. But with Easterby now gone, I expect Houston to jump back into the pool of coaching candidates. Personally I think they would be a perfect spot for DeMeco Ryans. But the Texans were reportedly very high on Jonathan Gannon during last year’s process, and I would expect them to take a long look at him again. 

Arizona - The Cardinals made a mistake in extending Murray, Kingsbury, and Kiem last year. But, since they can’t fire Murray, and it looks like Kiem is stepping away, the Cardinals need to move on from Kingsbury as well and start over in the front office and coaching staff. Murray and Kingsbury never seemed to mesh. The Cardinals need to find a coach that will gel with their expensive QB. And I think that coach could be Shane Steichen, the current Eagles’ OC. Steichen has not only done an excellent job designing an offense to best utilize Jalen Hurts’ skills, but he’s also helped Hurts develop as a total QB. Steichen also did an excellent job as OC with the Chargers and helping Justin Herbert become ROTY. 

Dallas - Jerry Jones has always wanted Sean Payton. He reportedly even tried to trade for him. I think anything short of a Super Bowl win is going to be the end of McCarthy is Dallas. 

Todd Bowles might be a surprise firing if the Bucs moss the playoffs. 

As crazy as it seems, Bill Belichick could be squeezed out in NE if he refuses to make changes to his coaching staff. 

If the Chargers somehow miss the playoffs, I could see Staley getting fired

Josh McDaniels should be fired. But the Raiders can’t afford to. 

32 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

How many jobs are people predicting to be open?

Carolina, Indianapolis, and Denver are already open. Who’s going to join them? 

My predictions;

Carolina - It’s technically open, although I don’t know how ownership could go with someone other than Steve Wilks after how the team has responded to him. But, it’s the NFL, and they find a way to do stupid things. 

Indianapolis - Irsay is crazy enough to keep Jeff Saturday. He shouldn’t, but Irsay seems focused on recreating the same culture that the team had under Dungy and Manning. I think Saturday will keep the job and be allowed to building his own coaching staff. 

Denver - Denver made the mistake last year of following the trend and hiring an offensive coach, when a better coach and candidate seemed destined for the job. Many in the Denver media thought the job was Dan Quinn’s to lose last year. I predict the Broncos will correct their mistake and hire Dan Quinn to be their next head coach. 

Houston - It’s never a good look for an organization to fire back to back head coaches after just one year. But Lovie Smith seemed like a last resort option last year after the Texans couldn’t land any of the top coaching candidates, reportedly due to the over involvement of Jack Easterby. But with Easterby now gone, I expect Houston to jump back into the pool of coaching candidates. Personally I think they would be a perfect spot for DeMeco Ryans. But the Texans were reportedly very high on Jonathan Gannon during last year’s process, and I would expect them to take a long look at him again. 

Arizona - The Cardinals made a mistake in extending Murray, Kingsbury, and Kiem last year. But, since they can’t fire Murray, and it looks like Kiem is stepping away, the Cardinals need to move on from Kingsbury as well and start over in the front office and coaching staff. Murray and Kingsbury never seemed to mesh. The Cardinals need to find a coach that will gel with their expensive QB. And I think that coach could be Shane Steichen, the current Eagles’ OC. Steichen has not only done an excellent job designing an offense to best utilize Jalen Hurts’ skills, but he’s also helped Hurts develop as a total QB. Steichen also did an excellent job as OC with the Chargers and helping Justin Herbert become ROTY. 

Dallas - Jerry Jones has always wanted Sean Payton. He reportedly even tried to trade for him. I think anything short of a Super Bowl win is going to be the end of McCarthy is Dallas. 

FWiW, Denver area radio guy (and native Minnesotan) Ryan Harris thinks the Broncos should hire Leslie.  But, I agree that Quinn would probably be a better fit.  

Wilks always deserved more than 1 yr in Arizona, but I don't think he's going to get that even in Carolina.  The owner will move on.  He's probably going to try and bring Payton to Carolina, if Payton doesn't go to Dallas.  He tried the first-time HC route but now he'll probably want to go the proven route.  

It’s always interesting how things work out. O’Connell reportedly tried to hire Stukes as the Vikings’ ST Coordinator, but lost him to Hackett. And on the flip side, I remember all of the people who questioned him hiring a 32 year old to be his ST coordinator. 

I think Matt Daniels has been outstanding for the Vikings’ special teams.