NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

22 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

How many of those interviews are done with the final decision makers?

I think it was my 3rd interview that was done with the final decision maker...who actually created a new position for me (I didn't get the job I actually had applied for).  

Edited by swede700

2 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

Most every company I know of does 3-5 interviews for jobs. 

I don't know about that.  I was asked to come back for a third interview for a job 11-12 years ago and I declined that third interview and told them I was no longer interested in the job. It felt to me like they were looking for free consulting and calling them interviews.  That was fine for the first two, but I wasn't going to do it a third time.

On the other hand, in my experience on the other side of the interview table at my current place of employment we only do two interviews, but I have often wished that we could do more. Only about 50% of the people that I have picked are what I feel ended up being strong selections.  The other half range from decent to outright terrible hires.  For some reason, even with that track record, they keep letting me have a significant say  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Now, what I do is quite far removed from hiring a head coach for a football team. The salaries of the positions are nowhere near comparable; we are talking 6 figures annually versus 8 figures annually. The NFL gives coaches guaranteed contract while we don't guarantee much at all to the people we hire.  It seems when giving someone a guaranteed contract worth 9 figures in total asking them to interview three times is reasonable.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Only about 50% of the people that I have picked are what I feel ended up being strong selections.  The other half range from decent to outright terrible hires.  For some reason, even with that track record, they keep letting me have a significant say  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

that's actually about an average success rate.

i do a pre interview with applicants first, to gauge whether they should be weeded out right away or brought in. then i do a personal interview. then if i want to recommend them to be hired, i'll have a group interview done with them that i'm not a part of.

then we compare notes.

but the final decision is mine.

18 hours ago, swede700 said:

I think it was my 3rd interview that was done with the final decision maker...who actually created a new position for me (I didn't get the job I actually had applied for).  

I'm thinking about going for a hiring position assistant position once I get my degree. 

I'm halfway there, but working full time and having a kid put school on the backburner for me this semester. I'll get back into it this summer, and hopefully get my degree soonish (like 2 years lol) going as a part time student.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm thinking about going for a hiring position assistant position once I get my degree. 

I'm halfway there, but working full time and having a kid put school on the backburner for me this semester. I'll get back into it this summer, and hopefully get my degree soonish (like 2 years lol) going as a part time student.

That's kinda like what I had to do.  I was working full-time and going to school on Thursday nights and Saturdays to finish my degree when both of my children were under the age of 6.  It wasn't easy, but it was worth it.  If I had waited longer (until they were older), it would have been far more difficult, but it paid off. 

Unlike Semper though, I'm not looking to go again.  Right now I have a job that is typically done by attorneys and I never had to go to law school to do it, why would I do it now?  😉

• Like 1