NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

Just now, battle2heaven said:

What did he miscalculate though? I mean, all you can do is interview for jobs and hope to get hired.

Are you talking about pulling out of the Minny job?

Yes, I don't think he should have pulled out of the consideration...yes, he likely wasn't going to get it, but he should have at least let the process play out...especially since he did have the Seattle job to fall back on.  

Matt Nagy is once again the offensive coordinator of the Chiefs.

The Chiefs announced that Nagy will be taking over the job vacated by Eric Bieniemy’s departure for Washington. Nagy held the same position in 2016 and 2017 before being hired as the head coach of the Bears and he was seen as the likeliest candidate to take over the role.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/24/chiefs-promote-matt-nagy-to-offensive-coordinator/

Broncos coach Nathaniel Hackett’s approach to Russell Wilson in Denver was influenced by Hackett’s experience in 2019 with Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay.

That year, Hackett arrived as offensive coordinator, working with new coach Matt LaFleur. Per the report, LaFleur would “sometimes present a new concept or play in an offensive meeting,” and Rodgers would then “shoot it down.”

Hackett didn’t want to go through that same experience again, per the report.

“I don’t want to do that again,” Hackett said, an unnamed Broncos assistant coach told TheAthletic.com. “I want this transition to be as easy and fluid and quick as possible.”

The problem may have been that it was too easy for Wilson.

“He had too much influence,” another coach told TheAthletic.com. “And it was mainly based on what Hackett allowed him to influence.”

So, after wanting to be the centerpiece of the offense for years, Wilson apparently got what he wanted. And it didn’t work. The challenge for new coach Sean Payton becomes striking a much better balance between empowering Wilson and making sure he doesn’t have too much power.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/24/experience-with-aaron-rodgers-influenced-nathaniel-hacketts-approach-to-russell-wilson/

Aaron Rodgers... destroying team relations without even trying, lol....

• Like 5

That would be interesting. But not entirely surprising. 

After getting passed over for the DC job, it’s not surprising that Pettine may want to get back to directly coaching players to get more opportunities for future DC consideration. 

Edited by SemperFeist