NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The Commanders isn’t a bad name for a team. It’s not fantastic, but it’s in the same category as names like the Cowboys, the Giants, the Vikings, etc. But their branding is terrible. The new owners need to come in and create a true brand. And it starts with finding a legit logo. 

I still think that they should have simply changed the team name to the Washington Warriors, and used the classic spear logo on their helmets. It removed the offensive part of their name, but would have kept the history. 

Or, if they absolutely had to remove all Native American ties, they should have embraced their history and renamed the team the Washington Hogs. It keeps a connection between the team and the fans, and you can create some sick logos off of it. 

They could have also used alliteration to make a catchier name, (e.g. The Washington Warthogs), and used a real New Guinean warthog (on a leash) as their mascot, and a Warthog wearing a football helmet as their logo.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I don’t think it’s going to be the draw that the NFL wants it to be. 

Agreed, especially for the out of towners, because no one is going to want to stay in Appleton and then have to drive all the way over to Green Bay. 

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Agreed, especially for the out of towners, because no one is going to want to stay in Appleton and then have to drive all the way over to Green Bay. 

And that's not even considering the smells of urine, vomit and rancid cheddar lingering about every time a local walks by...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, swede700 said:

My sister lives in Appleton.  I have also been in Green Bay.  Appleton is a much nicer town!!

18 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

My sister lives in Appleton.  I have also been in Green Bay.  Appleton is a much nicer town!!

I almost took a job there once.  I would have gladly taken the heat for being the only Vikings' fan in the office.  🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

And most with nothing to show for it.  😂  The next closest with nothing gained is Cincinnati at 11.  It's unfortunate, but will change eventually...I have to believe that. 

It also shows what abominations Atlanta, Arizona, Detroit and NYJ have been since the merger.  The dysfunction of those franchises (Cardinals have been in the NFL since the '20's, the Lions since the '30's, the Falcons and the Jets since the '60's) has been amazing to behold.  Both Atlanta and Arizona have been to the Super Bowl recently, but prior to that the Cardinals last NFL Championship was 1947, and, of course, Atlanta has never won the championship.  Detroits' last NFL Championship was 1957, and the Jets won SBIII prior to the merger.

The Vikings, on the other hand, have won all those division titles, plus four NFL/NFC Championships...despite losing four SB's.  I agree with you @swede700.  The Lombardi will be the Vikings at some point.  I just hope it's in my and @vike daddy lifetime!!!!!

Among the many changes to NFL offenses over recent decades has been the long, slow decline of the fullback position. Chiefs coach Andy Reid recognizes that.

The Chiefs let fullback Michael Burton leave for the Broncos in free agency this offseason, and Reid said the Chiefs won’t be bringing in a fullback to replace him. An extra tight end would be more likely to take up the fullback’s roster spot.

“The tight ends can work into that spot,” Reid said, via the Kansas City Star. “We know Noah [Gray] can do all of that, and that’s kind of where we went with it. We’ve got a number of tight ends that we feel comfortable with, so maybe you keep an extra tight end as opposed to that fullback.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/27/andy-reid-fullbacks-have-been-eased-out-of-the-nfl-chiefs-wont-have-one-this-year/

23 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Among the many changes to NFL offenses over recent decades has been the long, slow decline of the fullback position. Chiefs coach Andy Reid recognizes that.

The Chiefs let fullback Michael Burton leave for the Broncos in free agency this offseason, and Reid said the Chiefs won’t be bringing in a fullback to replace him. An extra tight end would be more likely to take up the fullback’s roster spot.

“The tight ends can work into that spot,” Reid said, via the Kansas City Star. “We know Noah [Gray] can do all of that, and that’s kind of where we went with it. We’ve got a number of tight ends that we feel comfortable with, so maybe you keep an extra tight end as opposed to that fullback.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/27/andy-reid-fullbacks-have-been-eased-out-of-the-nfl-chiefs-wont-have-one-this-year/

This makes Ham's extension and the Oliver signing all the more curious.  Obviously, KOC must have a plan for both of them though. 

• Like 2