NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

On 3/13/2019 at 10:28 AM, swede700 said:

It's hard to remember all that kind of stuff, especially since we're not all that close to that team...but, either way, he's an idiot.  Not only did he lose out on guaranteed money, he also lost out on all the investment gains and goes to a higher tax market to boot.  I'd like to see what his grade was in finance class at Michigan State, because if he passed, I think they need to take away the credit.  :D  

Only 10M of the offer from the Steelers was actually guaranteed.  Guy was making a statement: "make sure I'm secure financially before I risk my body for you"

Makes sense to me. Maybe we should practice a little empathy before just calling people you've never met an idiot...just a thought

4 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Only 10M of the offer from the Steelers was actually guaranteed.  Guy was making a statement: "make sure I'm secure financially before I risk my body for you"

If money was his motive, Bell made a terrible mistake. He would have had $33M by the end of this year if he signed the deal the Steelers offered. As a practical matter, the first two years were guaranteed. If they cut him before year two, he would have made something like $20M for a single year and been able to sign somewhere else to make more this year. 

4 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

If money was his motive, Bell made a terrible mistake. He would have had $33M by the end of this year if he signed the deal the Steelers offered. As a practical matter, the first two years were guaranteed. If they cut him before year two, he would have made something like $20M for a single year and been able to sign somewhere else to make more this year. 

The way the guaranteeds were structured in the offer only 10M was truly guaranteed

8 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

The way the guaranteeds were structured in the offer only 10M was truly guaranteed

Do you think the Steelers would have signed him and then cut him before the season? If so, the full first year was as a practical matter guaranteed. Once he is on the roster week 1 his full salary for the year is guaranteed. If they gave him $10M to cut him before he had to play he should have been happier than taking nothing to not play.

Similarly, the second year of the contract was guaranteed as a practical matter. If not, the team would have been giving him $20M to play for a year -- a great deal for him that would have allowed him to get another dip into the guaranteed money bucket this year.

So yeah, he could of had a career ending injury last year and only gotten $20M from the NFL by the end of this year. Instead, he'll get $25M from if he has a career ending injury this year. However, he is sacrificing $8M of NFL earnings in the two years. Don't you think he could have bought a pretty good insurance policy for less than $8M?