NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

10 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

My desire for larger rosters is to lessen players being forced to play while hurt.  They should do away with "inactives" and such, allow everyone to be able to suit up for a game (unless injured of course).

I think they like the addition of strategy that it brings.  I personally don't care one way or the other.

Edit:  I think they also think that it helps in competitive balance, because if you have no inactives, then 1 team could have an "unfair" advantage in having more players healthy than the other.  With inactives, they'll always, theoretically, have the same number of healthy players playing for each team.

Edited by swede700

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I think they like the addition of strategy that it brings.  I personally don't care one way or the other.

Edit:  I think they also think that it helps in competitive balance, because if you have no inactives, then 1 team could have an "unfair" advantage in having more players healthy than the other.  With inactives, they'll always, theoretically, have the same number of healthy players playing for each team.

I doubt that leads to much of an advantage in the end. Those bottom level players likely aren’t playing anyway unless a team loses like 3 OL in one game, or 3 CBS. It would mostly serve a purpose as in not having to make a TE play Tackle or a WR play QB (if a team loses 2 QBs and happens to have a third on the roster)

• Like 1

Dak Prescott had his third 400-yard passing day of the season Sunday, tying Tony Romo’s team record. In NFL history, only Dan Marino (1984), Peyton Manning (2013) and Ryan Fitzpatrick (2018) have had four 400-yard games in a single season.

The fourth-year quarterback has passed for 3,221 yards, putting him on pace for 5,154 yards. Only seven quarterbacks ever have passed for more than 5,000 yards in a season, including Drew Brees five times.

Manning set the NFL record with 5,477 passing yards in 2013.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/17/dak-prescott-on-pace-for-5100-passing-yards-after-third-400-yard-game/

On a cold Sunday afternoon in Buffalo, Frank Gore achieved another milestone as he ran past Hall of Famer and all-time great Barry Sanders for third all-time on the career rushing yards list. Gore now trails only the late, great Walter Payton (16,726 yards) and standard bearer Emmitt Smith (18,355).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001080093/article/frank-gore-rushes-by-barry-sanders-for-3rd-alltime

15 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Gore will no doubt be in the Hall if Fame, but I just don’t look at him and see a Hall of Famer. 

He’s played a long, consistent career. But at no point during that career would I have ever listed him among the best running backs in the league. 

I agree, but Curtis Martin got in for that reason.

To put it all in perspective, Barry Sanders had just turned 31 when he retired...Frank Gore is 5 years older than that right now.   

And I know it's all crying over spilled milk at this point, but if Adrian hadn't lost nearly 2 years of play, I suspect he would have passed Barry 2 years ago (which would have been at age 32).  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

I agree that Frank Gore shouldn't be considered one of the best to play the game. However, I do believe he deserves a spot in the Hall of Fame. Consistency and longevity need to be accounted for in a league where most RB's are considered to be washed up at 30. 

I never considered Emmitt Smith to be an elite running back when he played. He had the benefit on playing on a team that was a dynasty and always featured great offensive lines. Barry Sanders was, far and away, a better running back than Smith ever was. I believe you could have put at least 20 other running backs in Smith's spot and, barring injury, they would have produced better numbers over their career. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I agree that Frank Gore shouldn't be considered one of the best to play the game. However, I do believe he deserves a spot in the Hall of Fame. Consistency and longevity need to be accounted for in a league where most RB's are considered to be washed up at 30. 

I never considered Emmitt Smith to be an elite running back when he played. He had the benefit on playing on a team that was a dynasty and always featured great offensive lines. Barry Sanders was, far and away, a better running back than Smith ever was. I believe you could have put at least 20 other running backs in Smith's spot and, barring injury, they would have produced better numbers over their career. 

Anyone who watched both of them play should have that same opinion.  If Football's Future had existed at the time, the thread titled "What if Barry was on the Cowboys and Emmitt were on the Lions" would have broken the site, considering even at the time, that was always the first topic of discussion on every NFL program.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Mike Meltser✔@MikeMeltser

Rams are an interesting team moving forward. Can’t fire the coach, can’t get rid of the QB, no first round picks until 2022, a bunch of large contracts.

Bears are in the same situation. I think the lesson is don’t trade away multiple first round picks for a defensive player. Seems to have burned both teams, in addition to committing to QBs that just aren’t very good.

5 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Mike Meltser✔@MikeMeltser

Rams are an interesting team moving forward. Can’t fire the coach, can’t get rid of the QB, no first round picks until 2022, a bunch of large contracts.

Almost exactly a year ago, the Rams beat the Chiefs 54-51 on MNF, in a game that seemed to herald a new era of high powered offenses and elite young QBs. 

A couple of months later, the Rams scored 3 points in the Super Bowl.

Now, they look like their window has closed.

The NFL is incredibly competitive. Wonder how fast the tables will turn for Baltimore and/or San Francisco, the latest great teams.

• Like 1

FWIW, I never fully trusted the Bears or Rams last year.  In this particular case, I trust Baltimore a lot more than San Francisco simply because of their head coach.  If Belichick weren't around, Harbaugh could be considered the best coach in the NFL, for how many times he's reinvented that team during his tenure. While I like Shanahan because of his pedigree, I truly don't trust Garoppolo and wouldn't be surprised to see them fall back next year.  

Edited by swede700

Nick Foles was given a four-year, $88 million contract from the team in March. Sending him to the bench became the Jaguars’ only option, though. Signing Foles was a mistake. Starting him in Week 11 upon his return from a shoulder injury was a mistake. Continuing to let him play while Minshew sat on the bench was a mistake.

The Foles era is likely over in Jacksonville after only 117 pass attempts. The Jaguars lost by 20 to the Colts and 22 to the Titans in his first two starts, but the final straw was a disastrous first half in Week 13 against the Buccaneers. Foles started the game by throwing a horrible interception in the middle of the field. Foles fumbled on the next two drives, and the Jaguars went three-and-out on the next three drives after that. His day came to merciful end at halftime with the Buccaneers leading 25-0. Minshew took over in the second half and will presumably be the Jaguars’ starter for the remainder of 2019 and beyond.

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/12/1/20990435/jacksonville-jaguars-nick-foles-signing-contract-gardner-minshew?fbclid=IwAR0NPvDgiw2nTjBdkTQCFaG9z4xMztgi4FJG44vUJpwdEADSquHT1DsC5eA

you like that?

• Like 1