Round 5: Pick 173; Tedarrell Slaton DT, Florida

On 5/1/2021 at 3:22 PM, gopackgo972 said:

How often do we see DL with motor issues all of the sudden gain a motor after they are paid?

Probably going to make less with the Packers than he did with the Florida Gators. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Just want to say, dude is quick out of his stance, and his first step to the backfield was low, under control and explosive.

From that one single rep, there's a lot of athleticism there, especially for a big guy.

With his size, he's gonna be labeled a run stuffer, but I think he has more than that in him.

This is why we have to wonder if that extra 30 lbs. he carried was why his balance was god awful at times and why you see him just throw his body at gaps rather than shooting into them to try and make a play.

As previously mentioned, he's clearly aware that his weight is a problem and he's clearly trying to remedy the situation - which would be to our benefit. Perhaps he could be one of these players who's a better pro than a college athlete.

2 hours ago, Joe said:

This is why we have to wonder if that extra 30 lbs. he carried was why his balance was god awful at times and why you see him just throw his body at gaps rather than shooting into them to try and make a play.

As previously mentioned, he's clearly aware that his weight is a problem and he's clearly trying to remedy the situation - which would be to our benefit. Perhaps he could be one of these players who's a better pro than a college athlete.

Yah, he didn't look "fat" to me at all.  Or even thick.  He's just a big boy right now.  I don't know if that means he lost a little of his anchor or anything like that.  But the kid looks like an NFL defensive lineman.

I always get excited about our mid draft defensive linemen.  And that rarely translates into anything.

I watched no film on TS.  None.  But his write ups did not match with what I saw on that one single rep.  The kid was scary explosive for someone with his size.  While being low and in control of his feet and body.

Let's hope there is more to him than what was written at draft time.

On 5/1/2021 at 2:22 PM, squire12 said:

Park him next to Clark and hope something gets through about effort and leverage.

Have him against Jenkins and know how it feels to get embarrassed so he works at his craft.

posted this above shortly after the pick.  

hopefully Clark can rub off on Slaton and he can learn some leverage and how to use the big body he has

Reps against Jenkins will be good to show what it might take to become a contributor in the NFL

26 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yah, he didn't look "fat" to me at all.  Or even thick.  He's just a big boy right now.  I don't know if that means he lost a little of his anchor or anything like that.  But the kid looks like an NFL defensive lineman.

I always get excited about our mid draft defensive linemen.  And that rarely translates into anything.

I watched no film on TS.  None.  But his write ups did not match with what I saw on that one single rep.  The kid was scary explosive for someone with his size.  While being low and in control of his feet and body.

I like the raw tools for sure

8 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I saw one rep of Slaten yesterday on the news.  One rep, but.....

He was in a stance.  Big Blocking Dummy held up in front of him.  He fire up into the dummy, ripped then exploded into the backfield to grab another dummy.

Just want to say, dude is quick out of his stance, and his first step to the backfield was low, under control and explosive.

From that one single rep, there's a lot of athleticism there, especially for a big guy.

With his size, he's gonna be labeled a run stuffer, but I think he has more than that in him.

Yeah think he's been mislabeled a bit just due to his scale.  Anthony Rush is the guy Slaton often gets pegged at; molasses out of his stance, feet don't really much move, more or less just a big object for the OL to try to move.  Slaton is something else, and he played up to it more than I expected.  The more I've gone back to watch him in college, the more impressed I am; I dinged him on his hand fighting above, but he's much better there than I initially gave him credit for.  Still needs a lot of work grinding the edges off, but he throws them with accuracy every snap and he's got a nasty clear -> swim if he can just clean it up.  NFL OL hold even more than good college OL, and that's the one area he struggled with a lot and needs to improve to be a starter at the next level; he's a physically big target for guards to cling on to and the refs are basically never going to call holding on a DT with his size.

On 5/19/2021 at 3:15 PM, craig said:

Thanks for thoughts, Bob.  Love the enthusiasm. 

Don't think Lancaster is going to lose roster spot here.  It's snaps, not roster spot, that's at risk.  For this year.  c

He averaged 22 snaps per game, a shade over 1/3 of the snaps.  To release Lancaster and to just give those all over to a late-round rookie who's new to the D-line coach seems unlikely.  To me it seems obvious that you keep both, with TJ basically taking MAdams roster spot.  

But once they are both on the roster, then the battle for snaps is on.  *IF* TJ proves good enough to take some, most, or all of Lancaster's snaps, that would be super cool.  I admit I won't be surprised if those mostly stick with Tyler, and TJ gets a mostly red-shirt season, though?  

Yeah I'd guess you're right, especially looking at the rest of the DL crew; honestly Lancaster isn't even a bad player at low reps, he just cannot be a starter.  He suffers from the same issue that plagues a lot of college NT in the pros: he doesn't have the size to anchor against the run in mass alone, so he's doing it through toughness and technique.  Problem is you get ground down very quickly that way, and when they run laterally he just doesn't have the agility to run it down and make the play, especially gassed from trying to fight double teams.  Let Slaton eat some of that early game energy from the OL, sub Lancaster in when the game's getting into the weeds and he'll eat; that's how you get 2018 Lancaster that looked like a fringe Pro Bowl NT.  

Frankly, this is the best DL group the Pack has had in some time, kinda out of nowhere it feels like.  Clark/Lowry/Slaton is a real nice base set on paper, Keke/Clark or Lowry/Clark (or Slaton/Clark if his pass rush continues to come around) is a damn fine pairing for your two interior DL sets and you can play Z inside in the pressure package.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Quick glimpse of coach Montgomery working with his line at the voluntary practices today. Not surprised to see Slaton there, any young guys should be showing up for the fitness and nutrition program alone, more time with the coaches is a huge bonus.  I like Montgomery but he has yet to turn a project into a true player on my opinion. He can only work with the clay he’s provided with and outside of KC, it hasn’t been much. I hope TJ can start putting that big body it the right position. 

https://www.packers.com/video/mic-d-up-defensive-line-coach-jerry-montgomery

On 5/20/2021 at 2:18 PM, vegas492 said:

His weight is the one major red flag with him as far as I'm concerned. If he can stay within 315-330 he's ok, 340 he's pushing it and he's a huge body creating piles and nothing more over 345 unless he somehow adds weight through healthy muscle. I wouldn't be too concerned about his anchor as that's more of a technique and strength thing for him than a weight concern IMHO. FWIW, some described him as unblockable at certain points last season, but that's also at a time where it was perceived that he was playing at a lower weight, which ties into....

13 hours ago, Refugee said:

Quick glimpse of coach Montgomery working with his line at the voluntary practices today. Not surprised to see Slaton there, any young guys should be showing up for the fitness and nutrition program alone, more time with the coaches is a huge bonus.  I like Montgomery but he has yet to turn a project into a true player on my opinion. He can only work with the clay he’s provided with and outside of KC, it hasn’t been much. I hope TJ can start putting that big body it the right position. 

https://www.packers.com/video/mic-d-up-defensive-line-coach-jerry-montgomery

We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that TJ has been very vocal about keeping his weight in control and focusing more on his health and nutritional consumption than his actual technique; though that's not to dismiss his approach to practice and the growth that comes with it. I really don't think he's going to be some world-beater like Clark, but optimistically the sky is the limit if he can stay healthy and continue on his current path IMHO and he's got the leadership and motivational support from the guys around him to keep him on that path.

14 minutes ago, Joe said:

His weight is the one major red flag with him as far as I'm concerned. If he can stay within 315-330 he's ok, 340 he's pushing it and he's a huge body creating piles and nothing more over 345 unless he somehow adds weight through healthy muscle. I wouldn't be too concerned about his anchor as that's more of a technique and strength thing for him than a weight concern IMHO. FWIW, some described him as unblockable at certain points last season, but that's also at a time where it was perceived that he was playing at a lower weight, which ties into....

We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that TJ has been very vocal about keeping his weight in control and focusing more on his health and nutritional consumption than his actual technique; though that's not to dismiss his approach to practice and the growth that comes with it. I really don't think he's going to be some world-beater like Clark, but optimistically the sky is the limit if he can stay healthy and continue on his current path IMHO and he's got the leadership and motivational support from the guys around him to keep him on that path.

No illusions that he will turn into KC, one of the best at his position. They might both play nose but will definitely approach it differently with their unique body types and skillsets.  This is the time of year every guy in green and gold is a probowler in my eyes but some guys come with different expectations and a late 5th rounder will be viewed differently than a 1st. At the same time, some guys get in and seize their opportunity. If he can find a good weight and use some quickness and technique to match that big body, he might just play some quality snaps for us this year and hopefully grows from there.  If he can eat space and be even a bit disruptive, he might free Kenny up to play in different gaps which he has been showing in practice.

As far as weight, these younger guys who are learning to be pros and also might not have the same kind of income as established vets for trainers, dietitians etc. would be wise to stay as close to the facilities as possible. Everyone loves home cooking but that is not what these big guys need when they are trying to go from their young adult body into full fledged NFL lineman ready to go to battle on Sundays.  I'm glad he's in camp so let's see what the young bull can do!

I really think people are underrating Slaton a bit.  That is an absurdly explosive big guy.  Pro Days are what they are, but here's where his numbers would rank among all defensive lineman at the combine since 2000 who weighed at least 330:

• Vertical Jump - T-11th
  • Broad Jump - T-2nd
  • 40 yard dash - T-6th
  • 3-Cone - 11th
  • Shuttle - 14th

Unfortunately PFR doesn't store 10 yard split info, but from the above list I looked up the 10 yard split times of the 15 fastest DL by 40 time, and Slaton would rank, any guesses?  That's right, #1!  He had a faster 10 yard split than Dontari Poe, who ran a damn 4.89 40 at 346.  Granted, only by .01 which is meaningless, but I feel like the point stands.  This isn't just a big guy, this is a big freak athlete, and there's precious few of those around.

On top of that, 6'4", 330+ is just a hell of a load to deal with.  People underestimate the value of size even in something like pass rushing; you're not just fighting their strength, you're fighting their mass, and if that mass can move you're in for a long day.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

I really think people are underrating Slaton a bit.  That is an absurdly explosive big guy.  Pro Days are what they are, but here's where his numbers would rank among all defensive lineman at the combine since 2000 who weighed at least 330:

• Vertical Jump - T-11th
  • Broad Jump - T-2nd
  • 40 yard dash - T-6th
  • 3-Cone - 11th
  • Shuttle - 14th

Unfortunately PFR doesn't store 10 yard split info, but from the above list I looked up the 10 yard split times of the 15 fastest DL by 40 time, and Slaton would rank, any guesses?  That's right, #1!  He had a faster 10 yard split than Dontari Poe, who ran a damn 4.89 40 at 346.  Granted, only by .01 which is meaningless, but I feel like the point stands.  This isn't just a big guy, this is a big freak athlete, and there's precious few of those around.

On top of that, 6'4", 330+ is just a hell of a load to deal with.  People underestimate the value of size even in something like pass rushing; you're not just fighting their strength, you're fighting their mass, and if that mass can move you're in for a long day.  

As encouraging are the reports he intends to take diet and training serious. If this kid gets in shape, the athleticism is there. Just help him with the techniques and get out of his way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBobGray said:

• Vertical Jump - T-11th
  • Broad Jump - T-2nd
  • 40 yard dash - T-6th
  • 3-Cone - 11th
  • Shuttle - 14th

You would think all of that athleticism, to go with size, would have shown up more for Florida.

Maybe our coaches will show him better technique.  Maybe he will have a better "motor" or conditioning here.

But at least there are some good athletic traits to work with.