Round 5: Pick 173; Tedarrell Slaton DT, Florida

Slaton is pretty much as advertised so far.  Hard to imagine a world where he's not playing at least 40% of the snaps this year.  No way I take that talent off the field for Lancaster, unless I absolutely need someone who knows how to properly anchor a double.  Slaton is kinda terrible at splitting the double with technique, he tries to just man mode his way through it and often gets moved off the spot.  Give him some time to sit with Kenny and just drill on getting his weight low, corkscrew down and through, and I bet money he'll be a different player by mid-year.  You just don't get many big guys who play with that kind of energy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

Anyone have an idea of how much weight he dropped, of what he weighs now? I mean, he was 350 pnds at one point previous. He looks about 330 to me now. 

He reportedly weighed close to 360 at one point. He weighed at rookie minicamp or OTA's at 329.  

4 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

..No way I take that talent off the field for Lancaster, unless I absolutely need someone who knows how to properly anchor a double. ...

Lancaster played over 33% of the snaps last year, 352.  That's quite a few snaps to divvy up between Lancaster; Slaton picking up some; and Keke grabbing some.  will be interesting to see how that goes.

I'm curious to see how Lancaster's health situation will factor in.  If Lancaster isn't full-go during the first several games, Slaton might get a window of opportunity.  If he has a couple of weeks of snaps, plays well, and adjusts and limits his mistakes, maybe he pushes that window of opportunity wider or pushes all the way through. 

It will be fascinating.  As a fan I tend to focus on the physical talent and the extra plays that a seemingly more physically talented guy can make.  But coaches are often more cognizant of mistakes made and plays un-made by an inexperienced guy.  It won't surprise me if, for this year, the coaches see mistake-risk as outweighing Slaton's good, and play him <15% of the snaps.  

Keke is obviously part of this, too.  Slaton isn't the only guy who could be snitching some snaps from Lancaster.  

3 hours ago, craig said:

Lancaster played over 33% of the snaps last year, 352.  That's quite a few snaps to divvy up between Lancaster; Slaton picking up some; and Keke grabbing some.  will be interesting to see how that goes.

I'm curious to see how Lancaster's health situation will factor in.  If Lancaster isn't full-go during the first several games, Slaton might get a window of opportunity.  If he has a couple of weeks of snaps, plays well, and adjusts and limits his mistakes, maybe he pushes that window of opportunity wider or pushes all the way through. 

It will be fascinating.  As a fan I tend to focus on the physical talent and the extra plays that a seemingly more physically talented guy can make.  But coaches are often more cognizant of mistakes made and plays un-made by an inexperienced guy.  It won't surprise me if, for this year, the coaches see mistake-risk as outweighing Slaton's good, and play him <15% of the snaps.  

Keke is obviously part of this, too.  Slaton isn't the only guy who could be snitching some snaps from Lancaster.  

Heflin could pass Lancaster if he's out for too long as well. 

Also, I think some of those snaps could come at Lowry's expense as well. 

9 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Slaton is pretty much as advertised so far.  Hard to imagine a world where he's not playing at least 40% of the snaps this year.

2020 snap count % , plenty to go around.
Clark missed 3.5 games, so his count is lower ( he was in a ridiculous 83% defensive snaps in 2019)
Just taking Lancaster and Adams snaps gets you to 46%  play time

Lowery...58.5 %
Clark...58 %
Keke...40.4%
Lancaster...34.3%
M. Adams...12%

Lowry's proven to have some pass-rush ability despite his inconsistencies and he's decent against the run. As unpopular as it may be, I wouldn't be surprised if he were brought back on a short-term contract provided someone else doesn't overpay for him. 

15 hours ago, Joe said:

Lowry's proven to have some pass-rush ability despite his inconsistencies and he's decent against the run. As unpopular as it may be, I wouldn't be surprised if he were brought back on a short-term contract provided someone else doesn't overpay for him. 

He's under contract for next year. 

24 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

He's under contract for next year. 

But with a base salary of 4.9M. He'll likely never see that money unless he has a great year. They'll be able to save about 4M on the cap by cutting him. If Slaton and/or Heflin show anything, he'll likely be gone. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 3:20 AM, MrBobGray said:

Slaton is pretty much as advertised so far.  Hard to imagine a world where he's not playing at least 40% of the snaps this year.  No way I take that talent off the field for Lancaster, unless I absolutely need someone who knows how to properly anchor a double.  Slaton is kinda terrible at splitting the double with technique, he tries to just man mode his way through it and often gets moved off the spot.  Give him some time to sit with Kenny and just drill on getting his weight low, corkscrew down and through, and I bet money he'll be a different player by mid-year.  You just don't get many big guys who play with that kind of energy.

I'd be very surprised if Slaton hit 40%+ of the defensive snaps this year.

• Like 2

On 9/5/2021 at 12:40 PM, Shanedorf said:

2020 snap count % , plenty to go around.
Clark missed 3.5 games, so his count is lower ( he was in a ridiculous 83% defensive snaps in 2019)
Just taking Lancaster and Adams snaps gets you to 46%  play time

Lowery...58.5 %
Clark...58 %
Keke...40.4%
Lancaster...34.3%
M. Adams...12%

Hard to know how these numbers will shake out. Even without considering Slaton and Heflin, Clark's numbers will go up if he stays healthy, and Lancaster's numbers will go down because 3 of his highest snap counts occurred in games where Clark was out. I suspect that the Packers may want to reduce Clark's numbers from that 2019 figure to hopefully reduce his tendency to get hurt. So Slaton may pick up some snaps there as well as taking some from Lancaster. Really, if Slaton and Heflin show they can hold up in the run game, I wonder if Lancaster has much of a role here. 

Last year the Packers averaged 2.1 defensive linemen on the field per snap. Does that number go up under Barry?  

1 hour ago, Brat&amp;Beer said:

Hard to know how these numbers will shake out. Even without considering Slaton and Heflin, Clark's numbers will go up if he stays healthy, and Lancaster's numbers will go down because 3 of his highest snap counts occurred in games where Clark was out. I suspect that the Packers may want to reduce Clark's numbers from that 2019 figure to hopefully reduce his tendency to get hurt. So Slaton may pick up some snaps there as well as taking some from Lancaster. Really, if Slaton and Heflin show they can hold up in the run game, I wonder if Lancaster has much of a role here. 

Last year the Packers averaged 2.1 defensive linemen on the field per snap. Does that number go up under Barry?  

I don't know if that goes up for the whole year, but it should go up for the first two weeks. NOLA is down a few WR's so running the ball is going to be paramount. San Francisco is going to run the ball on us until we prove we can stop them.