Round 5: Pick 173; Tedarrell Slaton DT, Florida

On 9/6/2021 at 1:41 PM, CWood21 said:

I'd be very surprised if Slaton hit 40%+ of the defensive snaps this year.

As would I, I didn't actually word that right and I agree that it's super unlikely he plays 40% of the total snaps for the year.  I do expect him to be playing about 40% of the snaps in a game by the end of season; he's not going to be in every package, but he's a player who fits in a number of formations/personnel groups. 

On 9/5/2021 at 10:40 AM, Shanedorf said:

2020 snap count % , plenty to go around.
Clark missed 3.5 games, so his count is lower ( he was in a ridiculous 83% defensive snaps in 2019)
Just taking Lancaster and Adams snaps gets you to 46%  play time

Lowery...58.5 %
Clark...58 %
Keke...40.4%
Lancaster...34.3%
M. Adams...12%

Appreciate you pulling the numbers.  My guess would be that Adams and Lancaster most likely were on the field together a decent amount, as they both played a big chunk of their snaps in the first 9 weeks of the season (Adams was on IR after week 9, Lancaster only once got above 40% of the snaps in a game after week 9).  That's just being pedantic though as I doubt it shifts the overall number much, and I agree in any case that there's plenty of snaps to go around in 2021.  It seems pretty clear that Lowry and Clark will be the guys getting the lion's share; I think the rest will be determined in large part by 1) injuries and 2) situational football.  Keke is the only guy who really has a chance to force his way into a full time role; he's clearly a plus pass rusher but he's not bad playing the run either.  If Barry does indeed run a bunch of 4i-0-4i on the line, Keke should show out in a big way as I like him in that alignment a lot.  He's quick into his gap and good with his hands, but he can also stack and shed pretty well if you want him two-gapping as long as he isn't being asked to anchor doubles.  I desperately, desperately hope Clark plays nothing but NT all year.  Just line that man up over the center and force the offense to deal with it.  There's not a center in the league that wants to play man up with Clark when he's healthy, and he's a legit high end pass rusher in that match-up.  Let Lancaster take the back-up NT snaps when Clark needs a breather and play Slaton as first man off the bench at either DT/DE spot.  If they play Lancaster as a starter at NT and Clark wide I'm going to lose it, and likely never find it again. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Is Slaton nearing a forum consensus favorite for 2021 picks we're rooting for? Feeling like it's him or Newman.

FWIW- Myers.  He's the one that's gotta come through. Otherwise we're looking at a constant juggling of the OL.  The other picks are window dressing, hoping they work out and maybe more interesting stories, but....Josh Myers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

FWIW- Myers.  He's the one that's gotta come through. Otherwise we're looking at a constant juggling of the OL.  The other picks are window dressing, hoping they work out and maybe more interesting stories, but....Josh Myers.

Really? I don't sense much excitement for him around here. I'm not saying who is important, more of a fan favorite.

10 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Really? I don't sense much excitement for him around here. I'm not saying who is important, more of a fan favorite.

I'm very excited for Myers. I just dont think theres much to say. Hes going to be mostly fine this year, probably a few rookie moments that leople will overreact to, but by the end of the year he'll be looking like hes ready for pro bowls.

Slaton certainly is getting the pub because of the amount of reps hes taken and how he's looked in those reps... But to start the year hes lineman 5. Not gonna get a ton of burn to start.

Stokes intrigues me the most. As i havent seen hardly any of the guy and he probably wont play a ton to start the season. 

11 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

As would I, I didn't actually word that right and I agree that it's super unlikely he plays 40% of the total snaps for the year.  I do expect him to be playing about 40% of the snaps in a game by the end of season; he's not going to be in every package, but he's a player who fits in a number of formations/personnel groups. 

Appreciate you pulling the numbers.  My guess would be that Adams and Lancaster most likely were on the field together a decent amount, as they both played a big chunk of their snaps in the first 9 weeks of the season (Adams was on IR after week 9, Lancaster only once got above 40% of the snaps in a game after week 9).  That's just being pedantic though as I doubt it shifts the overall number much, and I agree in any case that there's plenty of snaps to go around in 2021.  It seems pretty clear that Lowry and Clark will be the guys getting the lion's share; I think the rest will be determined in large part by 1) injuries and 2) situational football.  Keke is the only guy who really has a chance to force his way into a full time role; he's clearly a plus pass rusher but he's not bad playing the run either.  If Barry does indeed run a bunch of 4i-0-4i on the line, Keke should show out in a big way as I like him in that alignment a lot.  He's quick into his gap and good with his hands, but he can also stack and shed pretty well if you want him two-gapping as long as he isn't being asked to anchor doubles.  I desperately, desperately hope Clark plays nothing but NT all year.  Just line that man up over the center and force the offense to deal with it.  There's not a center in the league that wants to play man up with Clark when he's healthy, and he's a legit high end pass rusher in that match-up.  Let Lancaster take the back-up NT snaps when Clark needs a breather and play Slaton as first man off the bench at either DT/DE spot.  If they play Lancaster as a starter at NT and Clark wide I'm going to lose it, and likely never find it again. 

BobGray dealing out gems of insight again.

you'd be fun to have a beer with

• Like 4

11 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Here's where you lost me a bit. I agree in that Clark is best served at NT and if he's not the best in the league at the position he's at least top-5. However, you want to move that talent around in order to keep offenses guessing but also to take advantage of both his skills and that of our EDGE guys like Z who can sneak inside and manhandle an opposing IOL. I would suspect that we occasionally see packages with Slaton or Lancaster playing NT to suck up blocks and/or create piles in an effort to get a 1-on-1 for Kenny against a weaker OL, Perhaps we may see these alternative looks to free up an EDGE guy in order to create mismatches or to take advantage of a potentially savory matchup for elsewhere(I used that word to trigger Norm). 

In any event, I think Keke's going to see more of the field this year barring injury. JMO, but Barry sounds like a guy that's going to dial the heat on the interior on obvious passing downs. If I am correct in that prediction, it would make sense to see Keke, Clark, and Lowry along the DL buffeted by the Smiths or Z and Gary at the LOS.