Round 5: Pick 173; Tedarrell Slaton DT, Florida

• 3 weeks later...

With Lancaster banged up and now on the COVID reserve list, TJ should be getting some work this week in practice. Up to this point, he’s seen very few snaps which isn’t overly surprising for a rookie but I think he gets his chance to show something this week vs. Pit. Here’s to seeing the big man causing problems for Ben like one of his predecessors Howie Green. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

With Lancaster banged up and now on the COVID reserve list, TJ should be getting some work this week in practice. Up to this point, he’s seen very few snaps which isn’t overly surprising for a rookie but I think he gets his chance to show something this week vs. Pit. Here’s to seeing the big man causing problems for Ben like one of his predecessors Howie Green. 

I mean hey, if he keeps creating piles against the run like he did against Detroit...

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, incognito_man said:

2 Tackles, 0.5 Sacks and 2 QB Hits for Slaton vs CIN

might have something budding here...

I'm interested to hear @MrBobGray's review of his All-22

I'll do a proper run through of his All-22 snaps once the Bengals game gets posted tomorrow, but only because I'm vain and I like a good @ mention. 

My read of the TV copy and what I've noticed thus far is that he's maybe a touch behind where I hoped he'd be but definitely ahead of your average rookie NT.  Two biggest things just off rip:

• Not sure if it's difference in speed of the game or just your general rookie hesitancy, but his reaction time has been a step slow so far.  His first step isn't an issue; he looks fast once he starts moving, but he tends to be a beat behind the vets in terms of reacting to the snap of the ball. 
  • His pass rush stats are likely misleading; so far he's feasted a lot on walking his guy back and cleaning up good rushes by the other guys.  He's having a hard time getting the OL off of him to get clean pressure and he gets hung up trying to accelerate through gaps.  Nothing to worry over, that's par for the course for rookie DL because NFL OL all have monster strong hands and know just how much to hold you to avoid the call.  Look at the Bengals 2-point play and keep your eyes on 66 staying clamped to Clark from behind just long enough to let Burrow get the ball away.
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just giving the rookie his due for the blocked fg. That was a big momentum changer in this game and it kept our RZ defense looking clean. Of course, we had one of our own blocked later but gotta love the big man out working  the guy in front of him. 

He also looked a bit leaner in his interview.  That’s a good sign that he’s taking the opportunity seriously. Here’s to hoping he continues to force his way onto the field with his play. 

• 2 weeks later...