Round 5: Pick 173; Tedarrell Slaton DT, Florida

Works for me.  Big and strong.  We have been missing a massive space eater in this D for years.  Gotta have one.  Gilbert Brown and then BJ Raji.  Haven't had one since.  Hopefully this kid will work hard and be a professional.  5th round has a high bust rate but you just never know he might become a player.  Hope Gute finds another before the end of the draft.  We need some bodies on the DL. 

2 minutes ago, craig said:

I listened to his brief press conference, he said his weight target was around 320.  That would seem to be pretty reasonable.  

But the question is can he keep his body weight consistently there?  He was listed at 340 in 2020, 358 in 2019, and 343 in 2018.  He weighed at 330 for the Gators' Pro Day.

So I just found that the RAS website has a position called Big Guy that you can apply to prospects that are over 320 lbs.  When you change Slaton's position to that, his RAS becomes 9.25.  Thought that was interesting.

Edited by MaximusGluteus
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

He weighed at 330 for the Gators' Pro Day.

That's excellent news. I didn't know he did that... Very encouraging.

A year ago there was talk of him being a 1st rounder this year. That's the type of talent he has. A pure size/speed top end ceiling... Excellent 5th round pick.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

But the question is can he keep his body weight consistently there?  He was listed at 340 in 2020, 358 in 2019, and 343 in 2018.  He weighed at 330 for the Gators' Pro Day.

For sure.  Getting to 330 or 320 once or twice is one thing; staying there and having a career there is another.  I'm not actually totally sure how big of a problem this is, though?  From the couple of clips I saw, he looked really big.... but not obviously overweight.  If he was playing 340-ish in the clips, I'm not sure that's all that bad or that unplayable for him?  358, for sure.  But if 320 was aspirational goal, and 330-340 ended up being the typical reality, would the latter really be that problematic?