Round 5: Pick 173; Tedarrell Slaton DT, Florida

Good interview.  He seemed like a generally positive guy and was complimentary of the program and coach Montgomery. TJ gives off that good natured big guy vibe like Pickett. If he contributes even half as much as Pick, he’d be a steal.  He’s got size that very few humans have and can move for a man of his stature.  Motor and ability to get in the right place quickly will be what he has to show to help this unit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

Good interview.  He seemed like a generally positive guy and was complimentary of the program and coach Montgomery. TJ gives off that good natured big guy vibe like Pickett. If he contributes even half as much as Pick, he’d be a steal.  He’s got size that very few humans have and can move for a man of his stature.  Motor and ability to get in the right place quickly will be what he has to show to help this unit. 

Wish he was meaner.  Need some nasty on D. 

5 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Wish he was meaner.  Need some nasty on D. 

Some guys walk around like they just ate a s--- sammich all the time, others know how to keep it between the lines.  There was nothing in his tape that showed him playing soft, he's a rookie but he will not be easy to push around.

On 5/15/2021 at 12:44 PM, R T said:

? I copied and posted a tweet from Andy Herman, I'm not referencing anything but his tweet. If he said TJ Slaton, I'm guessing he was watching some pass rush drills and liked Slaton's movement skills? Maybe he meant Rodgers, I don't think so, but maybe. 

Don't mind him, he somehow has the ability to say that Love is a proven bust based off what he's seen while "tape watching" - but those very same eyes don't have the ability to read the word Slaton in a tweet. It's very clear his eyes are deceiving him and at this point he should really consider seeing an eye doctor. 

On 5/15/2021 at 1:20 PM, craig said:

Will be interesting how the long-term effort is for a guy like this.  Might be easier to give it everything you've got for 15-20 snaps a game, versus HS where he probably played every snap?  Will be curious to see how much motor he'll have.  On the other hand, might be hard to stay focused and to see any relationship between effort and any tangible payoff when you're hanging out on the practice squad?  

And that might be all we need this season anyway.  Last season Lancaster played about 23 snaps per game.  Keke played about 28.  Get Slaton into a rotation, and let Clark and Lowry eat the most snaps and that is probably the key to success for him while he develops.

8 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

And that might be all we need this season anyway.  Last season Lancaster played about 23 snaps per game.  Keke played about 28.  Get Slaton into a rotation, and let Clark and Lowry eat the most snaps and that is probably the key to success for him while he develops.

Yes.  Slaton is a late-5th round pick. 

I don't imagine he's going to be averaging 10 snaps per game this rookie season, much less 15-20.  Even down the line, **if** he ever has a prime, his best projection is as a situational rotation guy.  *IF* he ever develops into a 15-20, or Lancaster-23 or Keke-28-snaps guy, that will qualify as a very successful outcome and terrific value for an end-of-5th-round pick.  Hopefully that ends up happening and he becomes a capable guy at the role he's asked to play.  

If you do end up getting a ≥25-snaps player, that would be terrific.  

16 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

Don't mind him, he somehow has the ability to say that Love is a proven bust based off what he's seen while "tape watching" - but those very same eyes don't have the ability to read the word Slaton in a tweet. It's very clear his eyes are deceiving him and at this point he should really consider seeing an eye doctor. 

@CWood21

Personal attacks on a post when I was asking about something related to the topic? Is this game or am I going to have to be nasty here...I'd rather take the high road...

Edited by Joe

On 5/15/2021 at 2:04 PM, Rodjahs12 said:

I'll say this I'm not crazy about the film but if this kid can figure out how to use his size correctly look out. The thing that really stood out to me was how often he'd just lose his balance and end up getting washed out of a play because of it. He's very hard to move when he has a good base so figuring out how to carry his weight will be a huge part of him working out for us.

Very evident during the 'Bama game and good news for you: he's clearly aware of his weight and one would suspect the strength and conditioning team will be addressed. On the other hand, as @craigmentioned - he probably will see the field for maybe 10 snaps a game as a rookie.  

We touched upon the idea of him playing a similar role to what Snacks did late last season and we probably have to acknowledge the fact that's what we'll see from him initially.